• Please log in to reply
362 replies to this topic

#321 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

Not everyone is a Nitpicker. It is a wonder anyone is even MAKING toys still, i have said this time and again, we should be happy that they are still producing stuff at all. If we just nitpick the hell out of every little thing it is gonna drive people away. Zach doesnt come around as much as he used to either...maybe he is busy or maybe he is tired of defending the product for every little flaw and not for all the right things about it. There is a tone about a message board and when it is all complaints nobody wants to really read it anymore.

Ya I've noticed Zach hasn't been around as much, hopefully it's because it's he's just been busy.

I try not to overly nitpick things, the only reason I think I'm doing it so much with the A is partially because I reviewed it, and because I was expecting it to be on par with their newer ships in terms of quality.

That aside, I still think it's a great addition to my collection, and am glad they did rerelease it so I could get an A for a reasonable price.

#322 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:26 AM

Its up to us as fans to let companies know what works and what dosent.  I used to work with the public.  Ive always remembered bad news travels faster then good news.  Its the nature of human beings.  Being negative just to be negative is being a ass plan and simple.  If you really find something you dont like about something you should say it.  Money is hard to come by at least for me any ways.  I want things to be as good as possible.  The one thing that the negative people need to remember is that they pretty much killed Trek on tv being overly critical.   

#323 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

Its up to us as fans to let companies know what works and what dosent.  I used to work with the public.  Ive always remembered bad news travels faster then good news.  Its the nature of human beings.  Being negative just to be negative is being a ass plan and simple.  If you really find something you dont like about something you should say it.  Money is hard to come by at least for me any ways.  I want things to be as good as possible.  The one thing that the negative people need to remember is that they pretty much killed Trek on tv being overly critical.   

The best way to tell a company (DST or CBS) what you think of their product is to either buy it or not buy it, watch it or not watch it.

Maybe what sets Star Trek fans apart though is the inherent belief that by vocalising displeasure in something, be it an action taken by Paramount/CBS to cancel Star Trek or revive it, they'll have some kind of influence over the decision taken by Paramount or CBS or in this case, Diamond Select. Maybe its because of how much exposure and influence the Bjo Trimble (The woman who "saved" Star Trek) letter writing campaign got and had that Star Trek fans are this vocal.  

I'm not suggesting for one moment Trimble didn't have any influence over the revival of Star Trek but ultimately the decision to bring back Star Trek was because the studio made a lot of money from it. It had a lot to do with the fact that the series was enjoying a resurgence in popularity through the 70's and ultimately the success of Star Wars which lead to studios searching for their own science fiction property to exploit. Paramount struck gold with Star Trek. I think Star Trek fans have maybe taken that pioneering lady's campaign to mean that Trekkies have to voice their anger and displeasure over anything or everything that doesn't fit their idea of what Star Trek should be. 

That has, in turn, escalated into Trekkies being known as notorious nitpickers that perhaps feel they have more control over what is done with Star Trek than they actually do. Anyway I've gone way off topic here and I'm sorry for that but to relate this back to talking about DST's Enterprise A. It is good to voice an opinion over what you thought of a product (or film/TV series) but it has to be a balanced view weighing up both the pros and the cons taking into consideration the price of the product and what that product is going to be used for. 

In the case of this ship my thoughts are...

• It's certainly a toy and this is taken into consideration on inspecting the model
  • The paint application is superbly applied to the model considering the fact that this is a mass-produced toy
  • On closer inspection the "NCC-1701-A" decals are slightly misaligned as are the very tiny red bands that circle the bridge module. To a casual observer the misalignment's aren't that noticeable and when displayed I don't believe this to be an issue
  • The plastics used in production seem very robust and of good quality
  • The manufacturing and assembly of the toy has been done to high standards (on mine at least). The saucer is slightly tilted to one side however considering the nature of this product, it's understandable
  • The internal lighting for the ship is very nicely done, the deflector dish especially is very nice. The light bleed from internal LED lighting is a shame and does distract from the overall aesthetics of the model when being used however if being displayed the lights serve a limited purpose and become an added novelty to a very nicely sculpted ship
  • The proportions of this ship are superb for what is essentially a lights and sound toy which has to hide a multitude of electronic components including; a battery compartment, a speaker and lights as well as wiring etc...
  • The detailing and sculpt is perfect, in particular the aztec pattern is glorious when an external light source hits the plastic. This really adds a beautiful layer of texture and detail to the overall look of the ship
  • The sound FX and voice clips are wonderful and add so much to this ship. The sounds are also clear and crisp
  • Displayed this ship looks wonderful and should make a worthy addition to any collection.

Those are my thoughts on this ship. The problems with it are not all that bad. There are some minor issues with it but It could be that in the second run of Enterprise-A's that DST do, the issues picked up upon in this topic, will have been addressed. All in all, for the price I paid for this toy, I'm quite happy with it. 

#324 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

EXCELLENT! BRAVO! REALLY well said! If I had a gif here it would be of someone standing in a theater clapping their hands frantically and shouting those two first words,lol! Your off topic remarks are top notch,and your views on the ship are exactly the same as mine. And I haven't even got it yet,lol! But I'm a display person only,so I kow it'll look great with all my other ships when I do end up with it. Plain and simple.

J-R!

#325 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:41 PM

I hope to be able to get one soon.  All my funds are going to my four year olds birthday party.

#326 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:46 AM

If anyone has the TWOK 1701 and this one, could you put up some side by side shots. I am thinking of getting one but want to see if there is enough of a difference to pull the trigger.

#327 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:50 AM

If anyone has the TWOK 1701 and this one, could you put up some side by side shots. I am thinking of getting one but want to see if there is enough of a difference to pull the trigger.

My review of the A compares the 2.

#328 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

Awesome thanks

#329 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:48 PM

1701D you said it perfectly, that overall had its constructive critism and its highlights, but put in a non negative tone. It was perfect man.

#330 ryanlb

ryanlb

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:48 AM

A friend of mine works in a comic shop and is my source for Trek collectibles, as I can get them at a small discount through him. I have a box on the way now with 3 or 4 Eaglemoss ships and this new -A. I'm excited for it to arrive later this week, I hope it's one of the better samples, QC-wise. I have been pretty pleased with all the other DST ships I have, despite their lack of perfection.

What brings me here today though, is after my friend shipped out the -A, he pointed out he also has the recent WoK Refit reissue, and now I need to decide if I should get that one too.

I watched the above review, but that's the original WoK Refit, yes? How does the WoK reissue compare to the new -A? Should I get them both?

I'm trying to cut back on buying what essentially amount to repaints, but I have the original version of the -E and the reissue from a couple years ago, and I have both the -D and Future -D, and technically the Refit is a different ship from the -A, so I can justify it, if it merits buying both.

What say you, Internet?

#331 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:57 AM

A friend of mine works in a comic shop and is my source for Trek collectibles, as I can get them at a small discount through him. I have a box on the way now with 3 or 4 Eaglemoss ships and this new -A. I'm excited for it to arrive later this week, I hope it's one of the better samples, QC-wise. I have been pretty pleased with all the other DST ships I have, despite their lack of perfection.

What brings me here today though, is after my friend shipped out the -A, he pointed out he also has the recent WoK Refit reissue, and now I need to decide if I should get that one too.

I watched the above review, but that's the original WoK Refit, yes? How does the WoK reissue compare to the new -A? Should I get them both?

I'm trying to cut back on buying what essentially amount to repaints, but I have the original version of the -E and the reissue from a couple years ago, and I have both the -D and Future -D, and technically the Refit is a different ship from the -A, so I can justify it, if it merits buying both.

What say you, Internet?

It is the original yes.

Will Decker posted this a while back for the 2014 reissue of the TWOK, I don't know if its the most recent reissue though. 

#332 ryanlb

ryanlb

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for that. It doesn't compare the WoK Refit with the -A, and since i don't yet have the -A I can't compare it to the video, but it does convince me to buy the Refit, so good on all involved. :)

I guess when I have them both I'll have to make my own comparison video. I did that once with the various, smaller, Enterpise-Ds I had at the time. I dont' think I've ever reviewed any of the DST ships. Maybe I should review all of the ones I have.

#333 Javabean

Javabean

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:22 PM

It is the original yes.

Will Decker posted this a while back for the 2014 reissue of the TWOK, I don't know if its the most recent reissue though. 

That is indeed last recent release for TWOK.

#334 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

I ordered my Enterprise A this morning. I pray to The Great Bird of the Galaxy that the one that's sent to me is one with no or little glue/paint slop and the seams closed tight and the nacelles level and true. R'Amen. 

#335 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:13 PM

My Enterprise-A arrived yesterday. She's perfect in every way. No paint slop. No glue slop. Crisp tampos. An opaque saucer. Loud and clear sound FX and dialogue clips. This Is what grwat starships are meant to be like. Thank you DST! You did perfectly! I am a very happy fan!!

https://www.facebook...152?pnref=story

#336 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:55 PM

Still going to wait till they fix the registry placement. 

#337 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:09 AM

IF they fix it.

#338 ryanlb

ryanlb

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:17 PM

I got my A on Thursday, haven't gotten to open it yet, but from what little I've checked it out it looks good. The sound is nice and loud.

Crappy phone pic of box. :)

CD8fyvdVEAEetJn.jpg

#339 OneAngryDwrf

OneAngryDwrf

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

Greetings All,

I too received my Enterprise-A about a week or so ago. I was taking some pics of it this morning and thought I'd share them with you good folks.

Please excuse their quality as I was shooting in my kitchen under natural light.

I just thought it looked neat.

f7011f74894a7c9b00a7e1c53d23c4f4.jpg

62433d261c404f0515275512292d852c.jpg

0019d30df6cc74e65ecbdc876d2a2fb6.jpg

96eb3e675b0cc17d681812fffa136e66.jpg

7372565e4b49890b053a6fe4a54c7818.jpg

1acc81ca090ffe5c954be8457391c0d0.jpg

8606067ff7c47a6fd49d9fcaca55746a.jpg

Overall, I think she's pretty great. I personally like the color and paint apps over the old Art Asylum release and the more opaque plastic look great compared to the Wrath of Khan editions released over the years.

There are some quibbles here and there, but at the end of the day I think she's a great addition to the fleet.

Regards,

OAD

#340 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:41 PM

Greetings All,

I too received my Enterprise-A about a week or so ago. I was taking some pics of it this morning and thought I'd share them with you good folks.

Please excuse their quality as I was shooting in my kitchen under natural light.

I just thought it looked neat.

f7011f74894a7c9b00a7e1c53d23c4f4.jpg

62433d261c404f0515275512292d852c.jpg

0019d30df6cc74e65ecbdc876d2a2fb6.jpg

96eb3e675b0cc17d681812fffa136e66.jpg

7372565e4b49890b053a6fe4a54c7818.jpg

1acc81ca090ffe5c954be8457391c0d0.jpg

8606067ff7c47a6fd49d9fcaca55746a.jpg

Overall, I think she's pretty great. I personally like the color and paint apps over the old Art Asylum release and the more opaque plastic look great compared to the Wrath of Khan editions released over the years.

There are some quibbles here and there, but at the end of the day I think she's a great addition to the fleet.

Regards,

OAD

Great pics.  The only issue I still see is the registry not being in the right spot.  If they fix that Ill be a happy man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users