• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

Well..... As some of you may or may not know ...Polar Lights Model Company was going to release to the general public last year a 1/1000 USS Thunderchild Akira Class Model Kit.... Which would have been pretty large at almost 18" long..... Unfortunately it was cancelled :(  Here comes Dennis from Starcraft Models to save the day !!!!  I just ordered his fully lightable hollow kit that is the exact same size as the Polar Lights Kit..... This thing is cool !!! Its a bit expensive.....but is awesome and almost perfect in every way !!!  I will keep you guys updated when I recieve it and start building.

#2 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

Heck, I'd love to see pictures of the unbuilt model - or even the box!

I was so bummed when PL cancelled the Akira - was there not talk of Round2 buying the molds or doing their own or something?

#3 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

Tom Sasser showed the half built Polar Lights prototype on another forum.... apparently it will never see the light of day.... Round 2 may do a 1/2500 scale version though...

I just went ahead and bit the bullet.... the kit even comes with aztek decals.... Dennis does great work at Starcraft...

#4 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Tom Sasser... how does that guy!? - no, wait, I know how that guy... He's a prototyper for kit and toy companies, right? Does he freelance?

I want to be him.

#5 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Right.. he even did some of the Starship Legends for DST..... I think he chimes in here once in a great while under the name Thomas Models...

#6 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

Links please guys, show me everything. :)

#7 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

Few and far between, unfortunately.

Sasser's website doesn't seem to have been updated in a decade (though there are some great modelling tips in there).

Aside from that and a smattering of forum posts - usually deleted a few months later - he doesn't seem to have much of an online presence (so far as I'm aware).

For an example of his work, he did the paintwork on the DST Enterprise-E re-releases' paint target ships. I'm not clear on this, but he *might* have been the prototyper for the DST Excelsior classes, too.

#8 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

I think youre right Destructor...He may have done the prototypes on the Excelsiors and I think he may have done the prototypes on the TOS Enterprises as well.... I have some links to post also with shots of the Akira..... I will find them and post....

#9 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

Okay....

Here is the link for the Starship Modeler Forum thread about the Akira which includes Thomas Sassers Photos of the prototype of his Akira for Polar Lights....

http://www.starshipm...ic.php?t=107817

Here is the link to Federation Models who are selling the kit now .... Go to the "What's New" section and it will have a link to the Akira...

http://www.federationmodels.com/

Here are some photos of my kit which arrived today..... I am amazed at how nice and crisp this model is..... Just like if it were from Polar Lights !!!

20131104_141444_zpsdd540d21.jpg

#10 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:39 PM

That looks clean as hell! 

#11 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:09 AM

That looks clean as hell! 

Commodore.... This kit is amazing..... Its like a styrene kit !!!! Super detailed....and NO flaws !!!

#12 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:50 AM

Ouch. Just took a look at the price. Too rich for my blood. I will suffice with the Eaglemoss Akira when it comes from Europe. 

#13 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

Unfortunately with the Garage Kits ... they are really expensive.... Its because they are made by independent people who will sell far less than say Polar Lights.... So they have to charge quite a bit to make it worth while.

#14 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this.It looks like a cool kit to work on.  I just picked up a classic BSG viper kit that I am working. Models are so much fun.

#15 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Yep, can't wait to see that get built up. As you guys said, the kit alone looks gorgeous!

#16 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

Introducing the beginnings of the USS Thunderchild.... I have assembled, primed, and painted the model ( It goes together like a styrene kit... almost perfect fit ) I am in the process of adding the 6 pages of complete wall paper ( super detailed ) decals.... almost every area of the ship will be covered from head to toe with some kind of details.....

Here are some pics of where Im at now....

20131107_050849_resized_zps37f5667f.jpg

20131107_050900_resized_zps7ba9e68e.jpg

20131107_050855_resized_zps73c28861.jpg

20131107_051525_resized_zps698c2f5b.jpg

The ship will be dull coted when the decals have all been applied to seal them and to give the ship the correct appearnce...

#17 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this.It looks like a cool kit to work on.  I just picked up a classic BSG viper kit that I am working. Models are so much fun.

Oh man..... The classic Moebius Viper is out !!!  Would really appreciate if you would post pictures JMW.... Is the Classic Raider out yet?

#18 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

Be still, my beating heart!

That model is sex.

#19 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

D.... I was really worried about the full wall paper decals as far as covering all the contours etc...but these decals are fantastic....as long as you apply several coats of micro sol and micro set....

I dare say that this model is the closest thing to the filming model that Ive seen.... Truly fantastic...

#20 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

That model is looking great. You are doing a fantastic job.
The viper is a nice kit I am enjoying it. I haven't gotten to far yet but I'm hoping to get some work done on it tomorrow. I will post some pics then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users