Repainted Romulan Warbird

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:24 AM

I was never happy with greyish green playamtes chose for the Romulan Warbird so I decided to repaint it...

#2 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

Sweeeeet!! I'm betting on the Birds of Prey ... with their wings up they're gonna waste the Warbird, paint or no paint! laugh.gif

#3 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

Very nice ! But I agree with the poster above , I'm betting on the Klingons! LOL

#4 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

Awesome repaint, that's how it should have looked from the start! Shame Playmates also made it so small.

#5 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:42 AM

What color did you use to achive the effect? Did you piant it by hand or did you use a spray system? Also did you use a primer or a clear coat . also how'd you save the decal ?

#6 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

I first took off the sticker which came off pretty easily. I taped off the clear blue plastic. I spray painted it using the Testors spray paint. The color is mystic emerald. The key is to not get it to bubble up by spraying too much. Its a laquer so I didnt need a clear coat or anything like that. Im thinking about buying some resin models and using the same color to do a little romulan fleet.

#7 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

Ahhh , thanks for the tips , I might have to dig this thread back up if I ever aquire a Warbird lol

#8 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

Can the Testor's paint that you used be aquired in most hobby shops or is my bestbet to go online? Also should i cleanse the surfaces to remove dust a gunk before hand . Also did you spray it on the stand the of did you construct somrthing to hang it by the tail or something?

#9 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

I'm holding out hope that DST will one day add a few Romulan ships to their lineup.

#10 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

Well I have decided to buy all the ships I can get my hands on that I know for a fact are not coming up any time soon, the only ones we know that are on the way is the Enerprise-B/Excelsior and later the Klingon Bird of Prey . Thankfully most of the old playmates ships can be had for decent prices these days. I picked mine up off of Ebay for like $10 and some change . Now I am gonna invest in some of that emerald green spray paint to improve the looks of the paint .

#11 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

I bought the spray paint at hobby lobby for i think $4. I gave the WB a nice little wash down bc it was pretty dusty, let it dry completely and took it outside. I put in topside down on top of a box and sprayed it down to get a good feel, let that dry, and then sprayed the top. i did tape off the blue engine lights as best i could so i could retain the light functions. The hardest part is spraying the middle and making sure you got everything. With the paint an uneven coat sometimes isnt bad because its almost like a semi-glaze and darker green that settle in some areas give the ship natural depth. the last step was to put the sticker on the front. it was probably one of the simplest things ive ever done. If you liked this one you might also enjoy my Reman version too:

#12 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

I called both my local Hobby Lobby and Michaels Arts and Crafts this evening and neither of them carry Mystic Emerald, so I guess I'll have to resort to either ordering it online or seeing if someone can pick it up for me. sad.gif

#13 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

hopefully they didnt discontinue the color bc i was going to eventually buy some romulan models to make a bigger fleet

#14 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

I don't think it's been discontinued becuase it can be ordered on both hobby lobby and Michael's websites, their just not carrying them in store , at least around here.

#15 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

Just placed an order for my can of mystic emerald from hobby lobby. When I get it I'll paint the warbird and post some pics afterward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users