• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:35 AM

Galoob's line did have a few bootleg attempts including this Enterprise-D, about 5.7 inches in length, along with some wacky-looking alien figures that, unfortunately, do not look like the Ferengi.

Released in South Korea by Tae Yang with promises for a phaser and tricorder unremoved from the card, which has a plain gray reverse side with no text or graphics whatsoever.

korean.jpg

#2 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:09 PM

Here are two bootleg, Mexican-market Micro Machine sets, that liberally mix Star Wars and Star Trek ships. These are said to be made from rubber (but that could mean anything) rather than some sturdier plastic that Galoob was using, and there are five of these per pack, featuring very distinct ships.

One thing that's not clear is whether some of these are two-piece castings, or one-piece, like the Grissom for example. I think it requires that there would be at least two parts of it glued together after the casts were done. Also, I think there are a couple of different grades of rubber or plastic used here, because the Enterprise-C is partially translucent, whereas the Grissom looks like a very solid color. 

The translucent ships would require a harder grade of plastic, perhaps far more brittle than anything we're used to in toys, whereas the solid colors could actually be some form of colored, rather than painted, PVC.

I don't think this is the extent of the variety, but it appears given the selection of ships that these would have come out sometime in 1996.

mm-1.jpg

mm-2.jpg

#3 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:27 AM

Such strange treasures. These are the kind of treats one might expect as fast-food premiums or vending machine toys.

#4 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 05:49 PM

Yes, it's interesting just how many different sets were thrown together in total. It seems there was a fair number of vehicles from both franchises that were copied, but for some reason there wasn't an effort made to divide them up into two "series" with different packaging.

#5 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 05:50 PM

Here's another one of these, once again with a mix of Star Trek and Star Wars vehicles: T-16 Skyhopper. TIE bomber, Runabout, Kazon ship, and Tantive escape pod. So five once again.

The Kazon ship here is the one that really dates this set, having been released last out of these, so this is certainly 1996 or later.

The plastic here looks a bit variable -- note that the T-16 is almost translucent. I also have to wonder whether the runabout is two pieces or one, as the molding processes were probably far rougher here. The TIE bomber, as originally cast, is a three-piece casting, for instance. 

mex-2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users