#1 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:38 PM

https://twitter.com/...841138022805506

https://twitter.com/...840545216823296

This is huge, and very exciting. Can't wait to learn more about it. 

#2 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:52 PM

He was a very old Xavier in Logan. Will have to see the concept on this

#3 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

And 2 Trek shows??? What is it? 1994??

#4 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:44 PM

Huh. Not sure how to feel about this.

#5 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:07 PM

LIFE IS WORTH LIVING AGAIN

#6 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:41 PM

Looking forward to this!! Hopefully all the TNG characters make appearances along the way. Maybe B4 slowly became Data 2.0 like in Countdown?

If Worf shows up they better not make him look like a Disco Klingon. :)

#7 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:10 AM

Looking forward to this!! Hopefully all the TNG characters make appearances along the way. Maybe B4 slowly became Data 2.0 like in Countdown?

If Worf shows up they better not make him look like a Disco Klingon. :)

They made the TOS Klingons that showed up in DS9 look like TNG Klingons with no explanation, so there is precedence for them to do that. 

It wouldn't be THAT jarring if they gave him the same ridges, hair, and his facial hair. It would definitely be weird though. 

Didn't Brent Spiner say he'd never play Data again? Something about being too old to play him. 

#8 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:34 AM

The "too old" thing is baloney. Would make perfect sense for Data to body-mod himself to match the age appearance of his first true friends in order to approximate the human experience and keep himself more relatable to them. I can understand news media non trekkies saying he's too old but I could never understand why he himself, knowing the character, would think that.

#9 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:05 AM

Oh I definitely think he could make it work, but if the actor himself doesn't want to play the part again then I wouldn't want them to bring him back. 

Honestly though, with modern tech they could probably de-age Brent Spiner pretty easily if they really wanted to. They do it all the time in Marvel movies it seems. 

#10 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:08 AM

Might be a bit expensive on the small screen. But maybe he would only make small recurring appearances. At any rate I actually favor the approach of showing him having artificially aged himself.

Maybe it will be more like Picard, Sisko, and Janeway hangin out at the Starfleet Retirement Home...

#11 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:26 AM

I am very excited about this project and can't wait to hear more. However I'm already seeing a lot of "fans" that are going to be very disappointed. Lol. They are speculating so much that they are basically writing the show they want instead of waiting to see what happens. That's doing nothing but setting themselves up for disappointment.

#12 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:15 PM

Since the direct to streaming only do about 10 episodes... two shows of 10-13 episodes ea would actually be like getting a full season... but then the fans can watch what they like... either way CBS AA gets your cash!

Maybe it will be more like Picard, Sisko, and Janeway hangin out at the Starfleet Retirement Home...

Wouldn't they have to be hanging out in the wormhole??!!

Lol but I think this is great news. Since fandom is so diverse now... give us more diversity and let the debate rage on!

#13 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

Now you got me thinking Gothneo...

How cool would it be if they work in Sisko’s return at some point on this show? Not super likely but that would be awesome.

#14 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:16 PM

That would be awesome.

Also getting some closure on Voyagers return home would be nice.

(And canonizing the STO Odyssey Class as the Enterprise F, which wont happen but Id love)

#15 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:17 PM

Picard and Geordi traveling around the galaxy in a RV runabout going to a different port of call every week

#16 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:49 PM

Would be great to see a familiar Star Trek show again. Just hope they don't try to modernize it to a point where it no longer feels like Picard's Star Trek any longer.

#17 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:29 AM

Screeched yesterday with joy when my girlfriend showed me the first article she'd found about this! :D

Four. There are supposedly four Trek shows in development at CBS! :) I guess they couldn't resist starting at those lights to determine how many shows to develop. :P This is just the first one that had information about it leak out earlier in the year, and that they decided to officially announce at STLV.

Actually, this new Picard series is genius, both in the obvious positive ways, and in some less obvious "evil genius" ways. Right now CBS has a deal with Netflix that only pertains to DSC for international distribution in select markets. They've been ramping up All Access availability internationally though at an insane rate, and I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix didn't get a shot at this in countries where CBS AA has become available, or soon will be. Think about it, CBS knows people want Picard, and they know they can basically get international customers to "pay twice" (once for DSC on Netflix if they can't wrangle the distribution rights back from them until they expire, and once for All Access for this new series,) while simultaneously grabbing US customers who might have passed on DSC. This is actually brilliant, and it should please the people who may not be fond of DSC's setting and even if its overall writing quality if it's done correctly.

A couple of of other details that have leaked out onto various sites late yesterday/early this morning, as always, pre–production information is subject to wild changes:

• There are no scripts yet, just overall concepts and ideas (translation: don't expect this for another two years or so,)
  • The show will be set 20 years after the events of NEM, (Yay, life after 2379!) which basically means that with the exception of the first season, which would be set in 2399, this would very much be the "25th Century Trek" that we've been waiting for, (Yay, 25th century Trek, finally! By the way, didn't I suggest something very similar to this awhile back with the start in 2399 and slowly coast into the 25th century?)
  • Patrick Stewart has said something to the effect of "this will not be the Picard you remember, his experiences have changed him over time," but before you instantly think we're going back to the grimdark elements of DSC S1, note that Patrick Stewart has also said that the reason he decided to do this (after initially turning the offer down,) was because he rewatched TNG and was fond of its optimism. In other words, I suspect we'll see at least some level of traditional Trek optimism in this that's been missing from DSC
  • Kristen Beyer, a huge fan and writer on DSC is supposedly the one who came up with this idea and has been pushing for it, so if that's any indication of the direction the show would take, we're in good hands

I think this series could be fantastic, and truly hope they don't screw it up. The biggest pitfall to avoid will be copying DSC's "single protagonist" approach that traditional films use where Michael Burnham is the center of the universe, except this time through it's just Jean–Luc Picard. That concept didn't work in TNG movies and it won't work here. It can be a show that involves Picard, and Picard can play a major role, but it needs to very much be about the people surrounding him as well. I think this is doable, the question I have is whether he's going to be an Admiral, Ambassador, or something else entirely. More importantly, who will be surrounding Picard? Will it be other old faces giving us a look at Starfleet command itself, or will it be young, fresh faces who are the future of the Federation? The former could be an interesting concept since we typically only see Starfleet Command when a corrupt admiral is involved, and rarely see how it actually works, while the latter could be far more promising in the long run. I could easily see this series being use to launch a new "next generation" where a handful of people who served with Picard in this series wind up on another Enterprise at some point with some new fresh faces as the look of Trek moving forward. This would actually be a brilliant way to hand the baton off to a new cast and to continue on from where we left off after NEM, and to get back to what made Trek awesome in the first place.

Finally, I'd love to know what the other two or three shows are depending on whether or not DSC is included in that count. Supposedly animated projects are being considered as well among other types of content. I wonder if this means that Michael Dorn's "Worf Chronicles" are also being revisited as something to pursue if the Picard series goes well. (I could definitely see this being the case as it sounds like Dorn's proposed project would occur in those 20 years between NEM and this new series, and if done correctly, certain key events referenced in this new Picard series could be shown in something like Michael Dorn's proposed series if that's one of the other projects under consideration.) Regardless, this is very good. DSC S1 is about to go up for preorder on Blu–Ray/DVD, and All Access is expanding its Trek catalog considerably, and apparently doing so with the kind of show that I've been waiting for. Now if only they'd add DS9 Remastered (and eventually VGR Remastered) to that to–do list, we'd be flying at warp 9.9 again.

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:35 AM

Actually, this new Picard series is genius, both in the obvious positive ways, and in some less obvious "evil genius" ways. Right now CBS has a deal with Netflix that only pertains to DSC for international distribution in select markets. They've been ramping up All Access availability internationally though at an insane rate, and I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix didn't get a shot at this in countries where CBS AA has become available, or soon will be. Think about it, CBS knows people want Picard, and they know they can basically get international customers to "pay twice" (once for DSC on Netflix if they can't wrangle the distribution rights back from them until they expire, and once for All Access for this new series,) while simultaneously grabbing US customers who might have passed on DSC. This is actually brilliant, and it should please the people who may not be fond of DSC's setting and even if its overall writing quality if it's done correctly.

Alex, I think your right on the money here. A successful streaming biz is all about new, exclusive content. I've been a bit concerned at the rather slow rate that AA has been adding such exclusive content, but if your right and they are going to have 4 shows, then it is pure genius. 

Even better is all the merchandising e.g. conventions etc... and a revitalization of the old "Kirk vs Picard" style debate... Some folks may say the fandom is too fractured... but maybe it needs to be fractured to accommodate what Trek is to different fans. A good bit of controversy actually attracts new viewers to the franchise, and having different types of trek might actually unite fandom by virtue of dissenting views of the diversity... now that seems like Trek to me! 

#19 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:00 AM

I would subscribe to All Access for a decent Star Trek series, Discovery isn't it. If they can make a new show with Patrick Stewart and recapture to optimism that Star Trek "Used" to have, I am very interested.

#20 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:08 AM

Also getting some closure on Voyagers return home would be nice.

That tears it -- BRING THEM ALL BACK!

Every single cast member of every 90's show!

Except Kes.  DO NOT BRING KES BACK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users