Photo

Caprica is a go with Sci-Fi!!!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Check it out here.
Caprica is a prequel that is set about 50 years before BSG and will show us how the Cylons came to be. One of the families that it centers on is the Adamas.
I have to say that this is great news. I was disapointed when I found out that they were going to end BSG but now that they are going to go ahead with a new series I am feeling better. I cant wait to here more about it as it develops.

#2 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

They are ending BSG??? Awwwww. sad.gif

I wonder why? 4 seasons isn't a long run at all.

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:17 PM

They said they want to leave while they are on top.

#4 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

Cliffhanger shows get stale real quick. Part of Galacticas appeal was how many twists and surprises occured each season. Im somewhat glad that we are going to get a conclusion to the story. Hopefully they will also do another TV movie here or there. Maybe in 5 years we could also get a new series based on these characters. Overall I really think the right move is to end the show when its on top as FHC said.

#5 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

I agree that it is good to end it on a high note but I was just hoping that they would do 5 seasons like Ron Moore wanted to do instead of 4. Now they have to kind of condense it down some. But I am sure I wil enjoy it just as much.

As for Caprica. I think the proposed story line is a good idea and look forward to seeing how they deelop it.

I think we will probably see a direct to DVD movie or two in the future that centers on the show after the end.

#6 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Mar 21 2008, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe in 5 years we could also get a new series based on these characters.

It's possible...after all, this has all happened before and will happen again! laugh.gif

#7 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

I am up to speed with BSG now. Final episode next week!!

Very glad to hear a new series is already on the way & it sounds like an excellent premise.

#8 stardust

stardust

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Mar 21 2008, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that it is good to end it on a high note but I was just hoping that they would do 5 seasons like Ron Moore wanted to do instead of 4. Now they have to kind of condense it down some. But I am sure I wil enjoy it just as much.

Moore might have wanted to do five seasons but after seeing these last few I have to say it looks like there wasn't enough material to sustain the show this long. These last few weeks have just drawn out the material to the point the episodes are just repetitve and as a result any sort of momentum generated by episodes like "The Oath" or "No Exit" has dissipated.

Set-up need not be slow or boring especially at this stage. Now I will admit sometimes transitioning from one season long arc to a new one at the beginning of a new season can be a little tedious as the series reorients and you come off of the high of an exciting climatic stretch the previous spring and now the writers are trying to get a new arc up and running but in the resolution phase where BSG has been for at least these past few weeks we should have been treated to much stronger hours.

The writers of the better shows plot out an arc for the season--deciding what elements, threads and characters will be its focus and gradually they begin seeding the first few episodes with those aspects. Then they use that scaffolding and begin developing them in interesting ways constantly building on what came before with plenty of plot exposition, advancement, complications, new interesting character dynamics along with a conscious effort to have each episode raise the bar and up the ante in order to contribute to a continuously mounting tension that explodes at the end. In my opinion, BSG has failed in doing that.

Baltar and his cult, the Final Five and any number of other threads have just been poorly handled. The show has basically been a stitched together patchwork of isolated character moments mainly centering on Adama and Roslin and to a lesser extent with Starbuck. Then the other characters get a bone tossed to them and usually it isn't very interesting. Elements are introduced in one episode and are never heard from again. Whether it is due to them being cut off of later episodes or the writers, for whatever reason, deciding they didn't pan out I don't know but the show in my opinion is just not well structured. The editing is atrocious. Why the writers can't seem to adapt the material to fit in each episode is astonishing. I mean it can be done.

Look at a show like Lost. It is a network show--not one on a small cable channel like BSG is--and it manages to meet the grueling weekly schedule yet you don't see the choppiness of their episodes where important scenes are cut out.

Frankly, this season has been absolutely aimless which is astonishing since most arc-based series in their final seasons flourish.

And since it looks like the same people are involved with Caprica I'll pass.

#9 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

I completely disagree. I think that this last season has been great and is leading up to a real ending. People tend to forget that this show is a drama and not a sci fi adventure series. But since we already have a thread for discussing BSG I will stop there and get back on topic with the new show discusion.

So far everything I have seen about Caprica is leaving me a little skeptical. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it plays out bu tthe more I see the more I wonder if it will actualy work.

#10 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

I would have prefered a series that focused on the first cylon war. Im not sure if Caprica is going to give us the action that I craved from the first few seasons of BSG. Cliffhanger after cliffhanger might make this more into Desperate Housewives rather than BSG. (I may be using the DH reference wrong because Ive never watched that show but thats what I understand about it)

#11 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

I think that's what they are going for, though, more of a soap opera/drama than an action/sci-fi series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users