• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:47 PM

I was talking to my mom while at the cash register at target and telling her I hope I don't have to go for more than 2 semesters to finish college and the cashier started talking about how she went 5 years and got a masters at BYU.......... she had a masters, and was working at target sad.gif

I hope all the time I spent just getting a bachelor's isn't wasted, it encourages me to go get a PHD or something...

#2 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

It depends on your major sometimes, but yeah. It's getting harder and harder out in the job market. You need to have something to set yourself apart from everyone else. It used to be a degree that set you apart. Now you need more than that to be competitive. A higher degree helps some but, again, it depends on what discipline it is in. You really need to find a way to stand out from all the other candidates. Do a lot of extracurricular stuff. Things that get you noticed, things that put you in a position of responsibility. Stuff like that on top of the stuff you do toward getting your degree. It really does help. A lot.

#3 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

well, not gonna do any extracaricular stuff, but if I can't get a good job after college I"m just gonna stay home. Screw it heh, I plan on being a rockstar anyway someday.

#4 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:11 PM

I know a guy that has two degrees (BAs) in Sociology and Criminal Justice and rarely works. It comes down alot on your resume and get a Headhunter or work for a temp agency to get experience. You need to stand above the crowd. That lady could have a masters in some off the wall subject that's not in demand too.

#5 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

agriculture
this disappoints me
I see all these easy degrees online and it pisses me off
I spent way too much time in college

I guess I should really go for my full potential and be a geneticist... so masters here I come.

#6 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(Goro @ Mar 17 2007, 07:57 PM) View Post
I guess I should really go for my full potential and be a geneticist... so masters here I come.

I think you should. But, like I said above, when you do it is important to do a lot outside of classes as well. The degree itself is not all you need anymore, no matter how high the degree is or what field it is in. For every job you apply for, there will be a hundred or more other people with the same degree applying for the same position. There has to be something more on your resume that is going to stick out and tell them you are the right one for the job. Otherwise, every resume is going to be look like the same piece of paper with a different name on it and most of them are going to be overlooked. If you have stuff that jumps out with just a glance, it really does improve your chances of getting called for an interview by a great deal.

I'm sorry if this scares you and I'm sorry if it is not something you want to hear or do. But I am telling you this to make sure you do have a good future and the future that you want. You have to trust me on this advice.

#7 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

think i should join some kind of club for my last year of college? i wish test scores were the only thing that mattered in life..

#8 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:51 PM

Definitely participate in something. One thing I forgot to mention that is important is making contacts. Doing extracurriculars also helps you meet people and network. That is also a much better way to find work than sending out resumes cold. Every little bit helps. So the more you do, the more experience you have, the more you have that sets you apart on your resume, and the more contacts you can make. It all works together toward ensuring a much more secure future.

#9 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE(Goro @ Mar 17 2007, 10:53 PM) View Post
think i should join some kind of club for my last year of college? i wish test scores were the only thing that mattered in life..

Joining a club would only have the benefit of making contacts. I've done a bit of hiring and I never paid attention to what sort of extracurricular activities the applicant participated in. All I cared about was job history.

My advice would be to pursue any internships you can. It's vital to make contacts within your chosen industry. An internship gets you in the door someplace, and, in my opinion, that's half the battle in getting a job.

#10 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:44 AM

Clowns scare me. Sure they look funny but I feel that there is EVIL under there.

I understand and that is why I did not go back when I was younger. I started hearing about people that had degrees and could not find jobs and the ones that did were making less then me with no degree. Now after all these years they are making more then I am (most have better benefits as well) due to the fact they stuck it out.

#11 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(knightone @ Mar 18 2007, 03:51 AM) View Post
Definitely participate in something. One thing I forgot to mention that is important is making contacts. Doing extracurriculars also helps you meet people and network. That is also a much better way to find work than sending out resumes cold. Every little bit helps. So the more you do, the more experience you have, the more you have that sets you apart on your resume, and the more contacts you can make. It all works together toward ensuring a much more secure future.

I did have an internship/lab assistant thing last year.. I dropped it because of personal reasons.. so that probably won't work out. I wonder if I could still list it as experience.. do you think they'd check?

#12 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE(pickard @ Mar 18 2007, 11:15 AM) View Post
Joining a club would only have the benefit of making contacts. I've done a bit of hiring and I never paid attention to what sort of extracurricular activities the applicant participated in. All I cared about was job history.

My advice would be to pursue any internships you can. It's vital to make contacts within your chosen industry. An internship gets you in the door someplace, and, in my opinion, that's half the battle in getting a job.

Well that's some confidence building
I think I might work for a little while after school, anywhere, and then study for GREs and get a high score and go get a Masters in genetics.. I"m sure that'll be a poppin field

#13 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

If you didn't complete the internship, then I wouldn't list it just in case someone actually does check. Unless you know the people there well and can ask them if they wouldn't mind giving you some praise if someone calls about it.

#14 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:46 PM

I have such erratic thoughts
one minute I want to be a scientist the other minute I can't stand the thought... depression does that to ya i guess

#15 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

Well...

Hind Sight is always 20/20. Even tough I've been gainfully employed, and make a good living, and I don't have any regrets, If I had a kid going through school today, I'd wouldn't encourage them to be a scientist or engineer. Something like a Dr. or a Lawyer is what I would suggest if they have the aptitude. Other wise, I'd encourage them to pursue a career that requires some form of certification... such as welding or NDT.

#16 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Mar 19 2007, 11:13 PM) View Post
Well...

Hind Sight is always 20/20. Even tough I've been gainfully employed, and make a good living, and I don't have any regrets, If I had a kid going through school today, I'd wouldn't encourage them to be a scientist or engineer. Something like a Dr. or a Lawyer is what I would suggest if they have the aptitude. Other wise, I'd encourage them to pursue a career that requires some form of certification... such as welding or NDT.

hmm doctor or lawyer.. maybe I should think about doing just that

#17 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:27 AM

It all depends on what field you are going into I guess. I started a university degree and dropped out after a year because ultimately, I was just gonna waste three or four years doing something which I really didn't have to do to get a job. I started doing work experience and internships at various radio stations. I volunteered in community radio. And now I'm 8 years in to a career in radio and working the breakfast radio slot for the Number 1 radio station in the 6th biggest city in Australia and one of the biggest and most successful radio networks in the world. Uni degrees aren't everything.

#18 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE(Mason @ Mar 20 2007, 05:27 AM) View Post
Uni degrees aren't everything.

How true. I know people with degrees, who work and live with there parents. Why? Because of high amounts of student loans many are strapped with. Starting life with debts doesn't seem to equate, especially as credit card companies give free T-shirts for people to get cards without a job 4 years down the line. The comapanies know parents will pay the debt for the kids if they don't. Please avoid that trap.

#19 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:34 PM

This is why I am going to join the Air Force and go career. I will get my degree while I'm in, get my officer ranks, retire as an officer, then get a job doing something else for 10 or 15 more years then retire again. Two retirement checks will then be filling my bank account. smile.gif

#20 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(Stormfury_Echo @ Mar 20 2007, 05:34 PM) View Post
This is why I am going to join the Air Force and go career. I will get my degree while I'm in, get my officer ranks, retire as an officer, then get a job doing something else for 10 or 15 more years then retire again. Two retirement checks will then be filling my bank account. smile.gif

Forget the Air Force! Join Starfleet... oh wait... they don't get paid. Nevermind. Do the Air Force thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users