Photo

series 3 set sold out at NFC and DST Yay!!!

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

#42 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:56 PM

#43 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

A 3-pack of the 3 would be nice. Probably expensive though.

Crew builder sets would not be as easy as they are for G.I.Joe!

#44 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Mar 17 2007, 11:56 PM) View Post
A 3-pack of the 3 would be nice. Probably expensive though.

Crew builder sets would not be as easy as they are for G.I.Joe!

Yeah, way too expensive. I'll settle for just Sito. She's so darn cute.

#45 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:19 AM

Why did Voyager continue to take actors/characters from previous shows and not use the correct names. I know of the royalty problem, but my question is why not just create a completely new character because your attempt at bridging the series just doesnt work. On topic: a crew builder would be awesome but i think unrealistic. Let me look around to see if I could customize any of those figures. It all about finding the right head so if you have any suggestions feel free to suggest!

#46 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Mar 19 2007, 01:19 AM) View Post
Why did Voyager continue to take actors/characters from previous shows and not use the correct names. I know of the royalty problem, but my question is why not just create a completely new character because your attempt at bridging the series just doesnt work.
Just quickly (cos I know it's off topic) but that wasn't specific to Voyager. If memory serves, DS9 used Marc Alaimo as Dukat after he'd played a Cardassian in TNG already and Armin Shimerman played a Ferengi in TNG before going to DS9. The shows had the same producers and a lot of producers tend to use actors they know can play the role well. Aaron Spelling did it ALOT in his shows. Just one of those things.

#47 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:34 AM

Jeffery Combs was everywhere!

As was Patricia Tallman. Though I think she was more so used because she could do the stunts required....perhaps.

And yes, if DST are having troubles flogging of people like Data...then there isn't much hope for characters most would call "That guy from that episode" biggrin.gif

I didn't think they'd have any troubles finding a home for Ro either....so FC Data & Nem Beverly sure took me by surprise.

I'm very interested to see how the TWOK figures fare.

#48 BStu

BStu

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(LwaxanaLover @ Mar 16 2007, 11:23 PM) View Post
Buffy figures are pretty much the same size and they have a library playset, maybe we will one day have the bridge of the 1701-D or part of it.

As a former Muppets collector, I'm insanely spoiled with playsets and I feverishly hope for a TNG Bridge playset, even in a build-your-own format. That said, I would not view the Buffy library playset as a positive indicator. Aside from being only half of a smaller set and being in a smaller scale, my understanding is that the library playset, while not an outright flop, was generally seen as a failed experiment from DST and one that is unlikely to be repeated. What I wished they had done from the start was give us corridor sections instead of the lame transporter pads. Something like what has been packed with recent Buffy figures, though with a bit more sculpting, obviously. I think that would have been a great way to build a simply diorama and is a major missed opportunity in my eyes. The transporter pads are wasted plastic, if you ask me. Especially since DST themselves had such a better idea already in use.

#49 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:01 AM

I think playsets for figures this big is just out of the question for me. The Ent. D bridge set from PM was enormous, and not only was it still too small for the scale, but the figures that go into it are only 5.5'. The TNG figures are monstrosities and if somebody tried to make a playset for those, it would be rediculously off scale and would still suck up a rediculous amount of space. No thanks, I am happy with what I got.

#50 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(Mason @ Mar 19 2007, 12:21 AM) View Post
If memory serves, DS9 used Marc Alaimo as Dukat after he'd played a Cardassian in TNG already and Armin Shimerman played a Ferengi in TNG before going to DS9. The shows had the same producers and a lot of producers tend to use actors they know can play the role well. Aaron Spelling did it ALOT in his shows. Just one of those things.

Your memory serves correctly, Mason.

Yes, Marc Alaimo played a Cardassian in an episode of TNG (Gul Macet), the Cardassian they wanted for DS9 was the Prefect of the station for many years and Gul Macet was a CO on a ship. And the Ferengi that Armin Shimmerman played clearly was not a bartender on a Cardassian-run station. So, why deny a good actor a great opportunity playing a character because of a one shot deal they had a few years prior. There are humans that look a lot a like, so why not aliens?

As a side note - I read somewhere that in the novels it was revealed that Gul Mcet and Gul Dukat were cousins.

And I think Sam Lavelle was one of the best looking guys ever on TNG. I would love it if DST cane out with a few lower ranking figures so we could build our crews up.

#51 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Chalksquared @ Mar 21 2007, 04:55 AM) View Post
And I think Sam Lavelle was one of the best looking guys ever on TNG.

That he most certainly was...

Though the guy who played Picards son, Jason Vigo...also registered quite high on the old spunk-o-meter biggrin.gif

QUOTE(BStu @ Mar 20 2007, 05:12 AM) View Post
As a former Muppets collector, I'm insanely spoiled with playsets and I feverishly hope for a TNG Bridge playset, even in a build-your-own format.

We were spolied rotten....& I only have the Kitchen at present...but wow...it really can't get much better thn that.

#52 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(Stormfury_Echo @ Mar 20 2007, 05:01 PM) View Post
I think playsets for figures this big is just out of the question for me. The Ent. D bridge set from PM was enormous, and not only was it still too small for the scale, but the figures that go into it are only 5.5'. The TNG figures are monstrosities and if somebody tried to make a playset for those, it would be rediculously off scale and would still suck up a rediculous amount of space. No thanks, I am happy with what I got.

I think your right. I had hoped that when AA first got the license the figures would be in the 6" scale. Simply because it made having playsets and so on quite a bit easier. For me the "environment" such as The Bridge, Sickbay, Conference room, alien planet, have always been extremely important to Star Trek. With DST size that is just not possible. My Grandfather had built and Enterprise D bridge for the Playmates figures back when I was a kid and that thing was HUGE. I think the ideal size for Star Trek figures is the 3.75" like the old Galoob size. With some of the nice work Hasbro is pulling off with their Star Wars line I'd like to see Star Trek figures in that same scale. We probably will one day, but I think that day is quite a bit off.

#53 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:23 PM

Keep in mind, though, that even a retail market, large volume line like Star Wars that has 3 3/4" scale figures is short on playsets and large scale vehicles. They just don't sell well, even with a market as large as theirs, because of size and price. There aren't that many people, not even toy collectors, that want to pay that much money for something so large that it suck up a lot of space.

#54 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

#55 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:57 AM

I think that sectioned environments is a decent idea, like what they did with Enterprise. That way, you can either just have your favorite character at his or her post or you can collect the whole bridge set. That way, enourmous amounts of space are optional.

#56 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(LwaxanaLover @ Mar 20 2007, 09:59 PM) View Post
I didn't realize that. I don't collect Buffy figures, I was planning on buying the new Dru's just cause she's my fave character (so beautiful) but last I heard she was cancelled. I have seen buffy collectors begging and begging for a library playset for years so I just thought that it was a sure fire top seller. Bummer sad.gif LL

Drusilla hasn't been canceled. The Dru/Oz/Wood line has been restructured so the Judge build-a-figure can be handled better. They did cancel one version of Drusilla, but replaced her with a vampire version.

Courtesy of the Buffy Collector's Club

#57 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:19 PM

Few options for smaller playset areas:

- Poker table

- Engineering "pool table"

- Conference room

- 10-Forward bar with Guinan

A bridge made up like the Enterprise bridge would be pretty cool but I can't see it as very likely.. Something like the tactical station would be huge even by itself since it would have to be tall enough to look decent behind the chairs.

Maybe the best hope for a build-a-bridge idea would be the Defiant?

#58 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

The big problem with the PM Bridge was that they made it a fully closed in environment. I think it would be better if the did it in sections with the consoles. But, at the same time, that would make poor Worf's set huge as his was that entire horse shoe console. I'd love to see the packaging on that bad boy.

#59 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(Stormfury_Echo @ Mar 21 2007, 11:30 PM) View Post
The big problem with the PM Bridge was that they made it a fully closed in environment. I think it would be better if the did it in sections with the consoles. But, at the same time, that would make poor Worf's set huge as his was that entire horse shoe console. I'd love to see the packaging on that bad boy.

Well I guess you could have half of the horseshoe included with Riker, the other half with troi and then those sections could link up with the middle section Worf usually stood behind. That could be one way to work around it.

#60 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, but the helm and nav consoles were so far away. It would be hard to build a big enough piece of flooring to be able to attach them all together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users