Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:54 PM

Some official HML wave 3 photo's:
http://www.wizarduni...e/003823909.cfm

Don't know if anyone here collects ML.

I mainly collect the X-men myself.

Anyone who's seen the line would know of the decrease in quality since Hasbro bought the license, these proto's are somewhat nice looking....but I doubt the product on shelves will look as good:

IPB Image

I'm putting alot of hope in my long awaited X3 Jean Grey who should be hitting shelves soon...though I know that is foolish, as she cannot possibly live up to the original proto.

#2 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:17 PM

Sam, I saw a packaged pic and the X3 Jean Grey looked a lot closer to the prototype than some other pictures we've seen.

I hope the Shulkie from wave 2 comes out looking OK. I've been waiting for that one for years.

Thanks for the link!

Wave 3 looks interesting. I'll definitely pick up Rachel Summers if she looks anywhere near that good.

I'm not feeling the sculpts on Bucky or WW2 Cap, and those were nearly must-buys for me. Oh, well.

Black Knight looks cool. I may pick that one up.

The best news from that Wizard site: Superhero Squad

Not only do I love this series, which goes great with my Star Wars Galactic Heroes, but they're finishing my favorite comic book team, the original X-Men.

We've already got Angel and Cyclops; now we're getting Jean, Hank & Bobby.

Plus, my wife will love that Nightcrawler.

Hasbro may be killing the ML line, but the Superhero Squad is a home-run, in my book.

#3 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:16 PM

Some of them are ok. Nothing inspiring.

The Superhero Squad are pretty cute.
I've looked at the Galactic Heroes before...thought I might pick them up at some stage.

Where did you see boxed pictures of X3 Jean? I have not seen any yet.
The latest images I saw she look rather haggered in comparison to her proto:

IPB Image
Left: original Proto Right: Recent promo

Don't worry...I just saw some images at TNI.

She looks alright....once again, nothing amazing. What is amazing is that packaging....very nice....very bulky....but very nice! smile.gif

IPB Image

#4 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:38 PM

after seeing hasbro's overpriced versions of ML I gave the line up pretty much cold, they looked like total shit

#5 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:48 AM

cmon did someone delete my reply?

anyway I did collect ML quite a LOT (huge huge collection) but as soon as I saw hasbro's line I quit cold

#6 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:43 AM

Goro, your post was not deleted, simply set invisible for a time while the Staff discussed the issue of using Foul Language in the posts, the issue has been discussed and The owner has issued a statement about it here:

http://www.trektoy.c...p?showtopic=680

Now to get back on topic.....

#7 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:26 PM

I wasn't a fan of it's use in Generations...or Insurrection really.

Just seems out of place in Trek.

Back on topic....a lot of people gave up on ML once it switched hands. I would have done the same only I am still waiting for my Jim Lee Jean Grey!!!

Who is apparently not too far away now. She is one of the most requested females from the series.

#8 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Mar 13 2007, 06:26 PM) View Post

I wasn't a fan of it's use in Generations...or Insurrection really.

Just seems out of place in Trek.
Back on topic....a lot of people gave up on ML once it switched hands. I would have done the same only I am still waiting for my Jim Lee Jean Grey!!!

Who is apparently not too far away now. She is one of the most requested females from the series.

I've never been a fan of that design. (Though I hope you get your figure, Sam.)

I think some of its popularity is that she wore it in the cartoon.

My favorite Jean Grey outfit is this one:
IPB Image

#9 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:03 PM

Very nice....that is a great look.

I think the main deal with the Jim Lee Jean is that she is one of the only people needed to finish the group...& while she has cooler looks, people just want to finish off the Jim Lee set once & for all.

I came into loving the X-men through watching the cartoon as a youngen, so they are looks I am familiar with & do not mind at all.

#10 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:01 PM

Just got back from Toys R Us and saw the new Spiderman Villians line. Just absolutley aweful. No articulation, action features, decent scuplts and they made the figures much smaller (almost in scale with the ghost rider stuff). Im glad I jumped off the Marvel Legends line because I believe this is the way Hasbro is going to take it. Just downright bad.

#11 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:21 PM

Have Hasbro ever been seen as a company that produces good merchandise?

I only really know of their Star Wars work...& most of them look ok.

#12 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

no hasbro has always sucked

Playmates has always been my toy company of choice

#13 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Mar 14 2007, 11:21 PM) View Post
Have Hasbro ever been seen as a company that produces good merchandise?

I only really know of their Star Wars work...& most of them look ok.

The Star Wars figures being made now are, in some instances, the best figures ever made. In my opinion.

The level of articulation that they're reaching with their latest figures, while maintaining a good look, at that scale, is incredible.

#14 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:21 PM

I'll agree with that Pickard. I was recently moving my collectibles to another room and found out it was Star Wars, not Star Trek that was a majority of my collection tongue.gif As far as the HML line, I kind of wish the paint applications were closer to the prototypes. Hasbro has existing molds and sculpts that Toybiz had, so it's the paint applications that are the problem here. My wife actually pointed this out the first time we saw the series 1 and Spider-Man Origin stuff. She said that the use of primary colors show that they're trying to gear this towards kids and not the collectors. As where Toybiz was vice versa. While she was very supportive of me collecting the Toybiz stuff, she has a hard time buying me the Hasbro stuff. Luckily DCSH's is finally putting out some of the figures they've shown in the past con's. So my money will be going somewhere other than the Star's of choice laugh.gif

#15 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:14 PM

I picked up the classic packaging Lando....& that really is an awesome figure.

I also grabbed the pregnant Padme....while she has great playability, the face leaves a bit to be desired. But women are always harder.

I plan on grabbing the movie figures from the HML assortments if nothing else...simply to build up my X-movie display. Jean may not be too pretty, but she'll look really good with the rest of the crowd, as will Beast & Juggy.

#16 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

My main gripe is that the Marvel Legends line and to some extent the SpiderMan Classics line was geared toward collectors. In all the articles moving up toward the switch from Marvel Toys to Hasbro, the impression was that this would not change. What I see though is the second line of the spiderman toys was geared exclusively to kids. I wonder how far the ML line will be.

Point #2
I understand that the Spiderman line is going to be more kid friendly. However I thought the SpiderMan Classics line was the best of both worlds...articulation and good scuplts for collectors...separate actions feature accesories for the kids. The days of this are apparently gone.

#17 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:08 AM

SMC could drive one a bit batty... especially when the only new figure you were interested in was the shortpacked one. It was def geared towards kids, but I think th ehalo efffect of ML, and just the fact that the same people doing ML were doing SMC, caused cool ideas to spill over to the line that collectors liked, but I don't think they were actually marketing towards collectors on that line.

HML has been a rough start, but I think wave 2 & 3 are looking good!

They aren't to the point of getting me to fanatically and insanely drive 100's of miles to find the version I want or one with a simply good paint app... but that's ok!

If you want your Toybiz fix, they have a new line just for collectors!

#18 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Mar 22 2007, 01:08 AM) View Post
If you want your Toybiz fix, they have a new line just for collectors!

Are they Marvel action figures?

ToyBiz dropped the line to focus more attention on their TNA wrestling assortments I believe....& some of them look very nice.
However I do not like the idea that they are making the women BAF's....makes little sense to me.

Most wrestling fan children do not even buy female figures, letalone buying an entire assortment to create one.

Anyway I saw the final product pics for HML2....not too bad...kinda the same quality as the first X-men movie assortment....so they will fit in nicely with the rest of them.

Still...they definately need some thinner paint brushes to avoid the big black panda eyes on women...& to give them proper eyebrows.

#19 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Mar 21 2007, 04:36 PM) View Post
Are they Marvel action figures?

Nope...

Indy Comic line...

http://us.st11.yimg....s_1938_59849609

&

http://us.st11.yimg....s_1938_60852142

I'm pretty sure the reason ToyBiz/Marvel licensed out the Marvel Heroes to Hasbro was to really stabalize the revenue stream from there toy arm of the biz.

Marvel saw great profits with both LOTR and Spiderman 1 & 2, but when they dropped off ToyBiz revenues plumeted. Thus they wanted to license out the characters and get a steady stream of income and let Toybiz try and focus on smaller markets, or ones that would be more steady.

#20 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

Well... HML2 are hitting in the States now... I found a set at my local walmart on Monday. They are really good! I like this wave quite a bit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users