• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#21 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:49 AM

Why do you guys let this bother you so much to stop collecting?

It's one thing to be upset because you REEEEAALLY want a specific variant, but not if it's just to complete the thing.

What difference does it make if you have every variation? Just get what you really think stands out and like. Complete the crew of a show.. that would be complete, like all 7 characters of TNG.. etc

#22 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:03 AM

It will not stop me. I will just wait and the day will come that I have one. Then I will post a photo of it and Smile. LOL

#23 jason

jason

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:23 AM

I dont see anything wrong with wanting every figure made, I am a completist and I really like to have one of everything released. When stuff like this happens it makes alot of people upset and I think very understandable. Now if DST would like to send a few cases of Trois to someone on this board to disperse to everyone here I would be more than happy to accept one. I say if they are giving them away they should give them to their paying customers who have faithfully bought all the toys theyve made.

#24 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:02 AM

^^^Yeah, I think there's a difference between the casual collecter who just buys the figures he wants, and the serious collecters who wnat every figure going in order to know that they own every figure made.

I think we can all live with shortpackaging of figures the company think well sell in smaller quantities, but when a company deliberately produces figures that will nigh on be impossible to get hold of ~ unless you have the bank balance of Donald Trump ~ then I don't think that's fair.

DST seem to be treating their figures are rather more Hign End than they actually are. I think AA figures appeal to people because they are pretty affordable ~ but these retailer~only exclusives won't be.

Maybe, I'll hang loose like FHC and se if I strike lucky on ebay, but a big part of me is most unhappy with the situation that appears to be developing. sad.gif

#25 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:58 AM

Well just because I don't want them all, I wouldn't consider my self a "casual" collector :-)

I'm pretty serrious about collecting what I want! It's like Artisix said, a certain collector may not care about 1 rare item, but another might mean an empty space to thier collection.

#26 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

The way I see it is if it is an exclusive of any kind and not released with the regular set then it doesn't count as part of the set ( hence the word "exclusive"). It is just icing on the cake if you happen to find one. It is certainly not worth getting upset about. Especialy since they usualy show up later on down the road anyway. I think people that go to cons and dp special offers should get something that everyone else does not.

#27 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:31 PM

See... the funny thing is when I apply that concept to the MM Crew.

Technically only Kirk and Spock are part of a normal set. The rest are technically exclusives, and some are more exclusive than others (Marlena for example).

So I don't dissagree with you in concept, but it's the choice of what DST is making "Exclusive" that I think is ruffling feathers!

The original SDCC kirk is a good example of how I think an exclusive should work (if they did it they way they were going to). You get Kirk before anyone, and with an extra accessory or two and special packaging... then later AA was to release the same Kirk in normal packaging with standard acessories.

If you went to SDCC you'd get a little something extra for your trouble, if you didn't you could still get the same basic figure.

But making complete sets of exclusives like the rest of MM crew, or the T&T DS9 set redefines what an exclusive is because all of those are part of the set. In these cases, I don't think it's just icing on the cake... they are just becomeing more difficult and costly to obtain.

#28 jason

jason

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:33 PM

I like to get all the exclusives that I can. I also collect the Star Wars 12" figures from Sideshow and they have exclusive versions that sell out in 30 min to an hour so I have to plan 10 Fridays a year around ordering a figure at 1 in the afternoon but I do it because I love to get exclusives. I think that with Trek that exclusives that are easy enough to find are great for the line but when they limit them to just a few hundred it makes collectors get upset.

#29 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:39 PM

You may find one on ebay, have it shipped to you and have a big smile when you display your uber exclusive figure, at least the smile will last until your credit card bill arrives. DST is doing a disservice to their customers by making figures that they cant buy witout resorting to ebay hunting for a figure that was just released, and most likely a bank account breaker. Doesnt bother me if DST makes an advance gift of a figure that they will release to everyone else later. As long as they WILL release it to us later.

#30 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Aug 29 2006, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty serrious about collecting what I want! It's like Artisix said, a certain collector may not care about 1 rare item, but another might mean an empty space to thier collection.

Yes, there are many figures I can live without from the Trek series. But I do prefer to have every female figure made. Most importantly to me, every Crusher & Troi.

So I will move hell & high water to make sure I do get this new con gift figure (or whatever it is).
My collection will feel incomplete without her.

Now my theory is seeing as how DST (& any company throughout time) see Beverly as a character not many are fussed about, she may be a likely candidate for this exclusive treatment.
Which will ofcourse not really bother anyone but me...

But it will RRREEEEAAALLLLY bother me biggrin.gif

I empathise with completists who want every figure no matter who they are...everyone in some way, shape or form can identify with that feeling....knowing you may never get a figure you would love to own.

People knocking the completists is actually starting to bug me a bit dry.gif

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Aug 30 2006, 05:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I don't dissagree with you in concept, but it's the choice of what DST is making "Exclusive" that I think is ruffling feathers!

If you went to SDCC you'd get a little something extra for your trouble, if you didn't you could still get the same basic figure.

Exactly.

I was reading about the Marvel Minimates just yesterday. The exclusive figure with each set didn't generally bother people as it was usually a re-paint of an already released character.

Then they released one that was pretty much an entirely new character that many would want (Carpenter Spider-woman I think)...& people were not so happy.

Trek exclusives are not too different. We have repaints & we have Marlena who, like Carpenter Spider-woman, was a new character.

I prefer more so that they do not limit unique characters. But it is still a bummer not to get a re-paint like a maroon Troi. And I really hope it is maroon Troi....as I'd hate to miss an S1 or pilot episode versions.

#31 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:30 AM

Sorry Gothneo ~ "Casual" was the wrong word, but I guess since we've all picked up and run with this topic and talked about collecting the things we really care about, that it's prompted a lot of constructive discussion about what does and doesn't bother the individual about exclusive figures.

I think I'd go with the notion that con exclusives that we have the opportunity to get hold of later don't bother me at all. I got hold of the original retro~boxed YSK and Convention Scotty really easily after the event. I was hoping the same would be true of Marlena Moreau ~ especialy as she is a completely new figure! That's what really annoys me: I care less about repaints than I do totally new figures!

I think we've all got a "Holy Grail" figure out there that we would love to own but know we never will, and can live with it. The one I want is in my avatar ~ the beautifully painted Shinzon prototype! Knowing that someone else has that beautifully produced figure in a cupboard somewhere makes me very sad.gif I hope AA still have it in a company display case somewhere.

#32 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(JulesLuvsShinzon @ Aug 30 2006, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was hoping the same would be true of Marlena Moreau ~ especialy as she is a completely new figure! That's what really annoys me: I care less about repaints than I do totally new figures!

Well, actually, she is relatively easy to get at the moment. Both New Force and AFX still have the MM sets with Marlena Moreau in stock. In fact, AFX is giving the MM set with Marlena Moreau away for free with a purchase of $75 worth of sale items. Sure you have to buy the whole set. And sure, for you, you will have to pay the cost of overseas shipping. But I think the total cost would be less than Ebay prices and you would get a lot of other figures in the deal. She seems to be plentiful enough to still be currently available and is available for much less than what scaplers and Ebayers would ask for her otherwise.

On top of that, DST is also producing a supply of the Moreau figures on signed cards. This too is limited, but together, the two editions make for quite a sufficient and readily available supply and great retailers like New Force and AFX are making both versions pretty easy to obtain.

#33 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(knightone @ Aug 30 2006, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, AFX is giving the MM set with Marlena Moreau away for free with a purchase of $75 worth of sale items.

That sale offer ended about two days ago, too bad to, because AFX actually has some stuff on sale that i like now, but i dont want any Buffy or Angel figures free, so i will pass on the special.

#34 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Aug 30 2006, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sale offer ended about two days ago, too bad to, because AFX actually has some stuff on sale that i like now, but i dont want any Buffy or Angel figures free, so i will pass on the special.

Too bad. It was a very good deal. The Buffy/Angel figures are an equally good deal for a collector of that line as well. AFX's biggest plus is their sales. They have some pretty terrific deals throughout the year.

#35 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:55 AM

It's not such a great deal for me. I can source all the MM figures here in the UK, I don't want to have to buy a whole set ) and pay the shipping)just to get a Marlena Moreau figure, in the same way I don't want to buy a stack of DVDs to get a Tapestry Picard.

I will look into the carded Marlena's though!

#36 michaelmotorcycle

michaelmotorcycle

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

Could anyone clarify if this will be available in Baltimore or Boston? Both were mentioned in the posts.

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:02 PM

Well... I think it's only available if your an actual dealer... I don't think you can get one if you just go to the Con.

#38 Kassle

Kassle

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

Guess we haven't heard yet what this exclusive will actually be...?

#39 michaelmotorcycle

michaelmotorcycle

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:00 PM

Any news or pics of this exclusive?

#40 AdyCarter

AdyCarter

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts