208 replies to this topic

#41 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Nov 5 2006, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or it could be the other way around. Buy the Data for $30.00 and get whichever of the two previously released figures he has extras of. Instead of two for thirty and a free Data.

Your apparently forgetting these prior posts. Rick says the Red Data will be a "Freebie" with the purchase of a set of figures, and it will be a total of 3 figures for $30 dollars, so that means you will have to buy two figures from Ricks excess stock and get a free Data for a total of 30 bucks.

QUOTE(NewForceComics @ Nov 3 2006, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hello all...
correct...will be premium of another set purchase, and essentially will be a "free" with the purchase of the other set...there will be no wholesale on the figure (at least not initially, want to get into the hands of the collectors first)....details will be forthcoming in the next 2 weeks
rick

QUOTE(NewForceComics @ Nov 4 2006, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hello all...
just a note, never said it was something that has not been announced yet, in fact, the item(s) it will be given away/combined with (insert whatever wording you wish), is in fact already out...
Ultimately, the "red" data will be the desired part of the "special", but you will get 3 figures for $30, keeping it a good deal for all...
as we reveal more details, all will be clear
thanks
rick

#42 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:41 PM

Still sounds good to me. You know if these things get on ebay what they will go for.

#43 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Nov 5 2006, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your apparently forgetting these prior posts. Rick says the Red Data will be a "Freebie" with the purchase of a set of figures, and it will be a total of 3 figures for $30 dollars, so that means you will have to buy two figures from Ricks excess stock and get a free Data for a total of 30 bucks.

OHHHH, Sorry for not getting every little detail right. Just trying to help out. dry.gif

Either way it works out great for everyone. Especialy the ones that complain about not being able to get every little exclusive as soon as it comes out. biggrin.gif

#44 NewForceComics

NewForceComics

Trek Toy's Official Vendor

• VIP
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:51 PM

Hello all...
another hint...at DST suggestion, we have moved our Riker/Troi 2 pack to the SRP of $30...hint, hint, wink, wink...
I understand Dan's point of view...if I already bought these, it would be better to pick or choose...but, that is not the point of the special...we got with DST, because the quantity we had to purchase of the Riker/Troi 2 pack was well in excess of the number of figures we normally sell of an exclusive (2x more)., however, because it was such a cool set, we bought the exclusive because we knew the fans/our customers wanted it!...so, while we sold our "normal" quantity we typically sell of an exclusive, we still had 50% more stock unsold...leaving us with a HUGE investment tied up in pallets of unsold merch, but without a base to purchase from us (just about anyone that was going to buy a set(s) has already)...so, it was suggested by DST that they produce for me a "new" exclusive figure, but in limited quantity , to offer for free with the purchase of that set (combining the cost of the R/T with the cost of the Data) and offer at SRP ($30), that way, I clear out/recoup my cost, and our customers get a cool figure, and we "break" even on the excess sets, and DST gets good press from helping us out, and everyone wins etc, etc....the alternative is to sell the red data for $30, make the "profit" to offset the cost of the R/T, and "throw" away the extra R/T...does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that does not make sense...so, for the promo, we will give away the red data with the purchase of a R/t set, when we offer in Jan, but you see what we are trying to accomplish...
ok, beans spilled
rick

#45 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the spill Rick! I personally bought two R/T two packs ... 1 more than I usually buy - to give support. Guess what! I'll now own a third R/T set in order to get 'red' Data. I think this is a great idea. Its cool of DST to help you out like that and its cool that you help us out! I'll just keep thinking that I am getting the R/T for free with the purchase of the 'red' Data ... that way I don't feel bad about buying 3 R/T sets. laugh.gif

#46 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the spill Rick. I will buy two more sets to get two free Red Data's. I already have two sets, one opened on display and one set MIB. Hey if you dont need a R/T set, buy it, keep the free Data, then sell the R/T set on ebay, trade it or give it away as a gift.

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Nov 5 2006, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Either way it works out great for everyone. Especialy the ones that complain about not being able to get every little exclusive as soon as it comes out. biggrin.gif

I would like to think that some of the past complaining about hard to get exclusives may actually be heard and taken to heart by DST, but im not going to hold my breath.

#47 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:30 PM

Thanks Rick, That is great news. I have been planning on picking up another set of these anyway.

#48 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

Thanks Rick that saves me from having to send my man "Sunny" by to have a "talk" with you.

So you got to set on the R/T's until Jan? I'll pay for a set today and you can ship in Jan if that will help any.

#49 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:57 PM

I love that Rick sees my point-of-view, even if that doesn't change anything.

I see his situation, and I'm such a fan of that Riker-Troi 2-pack, and I'm still so appreciative that he got it for us, that I really can't begrudge his effort to recoup his costs.

It's really nice of DST to help Rick out like this, too. I don't agree with how they've treated the fans in some ways, but it's great to see that they're taking care of their retailers, because that's going to keep the line going too.

That being said, I don't think I'll get this. I'm not much on variations, and this one just isn't necessary for my collection. (If Data had worn this in Redemptions, that might be a different story, because he was damn cool in command in that episode.)

I'm very happy for those of you who are going to be able to add this to your collections. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Cheers,
Dan

#50 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:22 PM

Despite the fact that I already bought an entire case of the Riker/Troi set, I don't mind this deal at all. It gives me an excuse to get S7 Ogawa and do a headswap with the Troi.

#51 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(knightone @ Nov 6 2006, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It gives me an excuse to get S7 Ogawa and do a headswap with the Troi.

Thats a great idea!

Then if you put the Nemesis Troi head on the S7 body you will have a near exact Generations Troi!

Plus I wanted a few more Troi's so's I could try the Nemesis Beverly hair on her...I think it will look good, with perhaps a tiny bit of length added to the mold.

It all sounds pretty sweet to me. smile.gif

I never bought a Playmates red Data....wasn't really interested...now I am! laugh.gif

#52 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

This is definately going to give me a chance to do a couple of customs I have been thinking about as well as getting a cool exclusive figure in the process. I can't wait to place my order in January.

#53 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:37 PM

Well, this is great for me! I had not been getting the Nemisis Figures, so even though I thought the 2 pack was great, I still don't have one, So I guese now I will .-)

One question for Rick though... is Data going to be in a Baggie like other DST freebies? Or will he be on a card?

#54 Captain Kidd

Captain Kidd

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:36 AM

Not the news I was hoping for but I see what Rick is trying to do.... and it makes sense.

This news is great for those that did not get the Troi and Riker two pack but unless you collect multiples of the same figures or are a customizer this deal is not so great. Like myself, I will only get one of each figs and a Red Data is great, but not worth the 30$ to get two figs I already have. I do not have that kind of cash to flush.

The worst is that I originally ordered the Troi and Two pack from NFC. If I would have waited I could have gotten this deal but I did not want to pass up a chance at getting the two pack when it came out.

This blows and I do not agree with Ricks comment that "everyone wins". This would have been more appealing if it was Tapestry Picard and Maroon Troi. I'm with you pickard on this.

#55 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:51 AM

I don't see it very much different from some of the other DST promotions. To get the tapestry Picard you need to get the Q Collection, and many people complained that they allready had all the DVD's so they didn't want to get the collection.

You could always buy the set and then sell the 2 pack set for $15 on eBay... like people did with the Q Collective DVD, then you'll get the figure at a bit of a discount.

#56 DST Trek Collector

DST Trek Collector

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE(FHC @ Nov 6 2006, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you got to set on the R/T's until Jan? I'll pay for a set today and you can ship in Jan if that will help any.

I'm with you on that 100%! I'm desperate to get this figure!

I think its a great idea from all perspectives.

Also i'm glad rick got it, now we'll all (hopefully) be able to get one or two max probably so we collectors will come first.

Now i have a dilemna though: Keep the new one MIB, or make an ogawa? Or i mite just get two as i have everything but this set and a couple others in duplicate anyway, and do both!

#57 Captain Kidd

Captain Kidd

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Nov 6 2006, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see it very much different from some of the other DST promotions. To get the tapestry Picard you need to get the Q Collection, and many people complained that they allready had all the DVD's so they didn't want to get the collection.

You could always buy the set and then sell the 2 pack set for $15 on eBay... like people did with the Q Collective DVD, then you'll get the figure at a bit of a discount.

You're right we could buy and sell what we do want/need on e-bay but you risk not being able to sell it or because so many others are selling the same item because of the same reason you will probably end up givin it away making it a wast of time to begin with. Personally I don't sell on e-bay. I'm not sure how it works but don't you have to pay for a sellers account on e-bay... Anyway, that's not the point. The point is having loyal fans purchase something they already have in order to get something they don't. I'm just glad i'm not a completest when it comes to Trek figs.

Anyway, i'm done complaining. Its a good idea for some and for others like myself not so much. I will leave it at that.

#58 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:52 PM

Actually the point is no matter what sets or exclusives are offered nothing will ever please everyone. Right now Newforce is trying to find a way to get collectors an exclusive figure in a way that will also benefit them in some way without making it impossible to get a hold of. You shouldn't criticize Newforce or any other retailer for trying to do something for the fans and collectors especialy after so many people cried and complained about some of the previous exclusives being so hard to get. This one is going to be pretty is to get. They are not going to give it away free but it will be easy.

#59 DST Trek Collector

DST Trek Collector

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

I personally think its a good idea to shift some stock. And if you dont think you could sell it, keep it mib for a few years, or make customs with them, or open them if you're a mint collector.

I'm gonna get two, keep one MIB, and, custom an Ogawa from FC. As i already have this set once.
Also JMW326 has a good point, not everyone will always like everything they do. I think its great that we're getting a new figure as well.

#60 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:32 PM

Just a suggestions Capt Kidd, yeah you have to pay a fee to list and then a percentage of what it sells for to eBay. It is more trouble than I think it's worth, that's whay I donate stuff and take the tax write off, which is more usfull to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users