Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(pickard @ Sep 10 2006, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love Kirk's admiral outfit!

I'm not sure why the TMP outfits get labeled as "pajamas" when the TNG season 1 & 2 pajamas are well-remembered.

Yeah but the TNG Season 1 & 2 uniforms get dubbed pyjamas aswell!! biggrin.gif

#22 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:38 AM

semi people are very anti-colorful...they like dreary and black everywhere

#23 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:21 AM

I wouldn't go that far Goro. I've spent a few days at the Sci-Fi Musuem here in Seattle and it's amazing to see these costumes up close. Look at how unifoms have changed through the years for the Armed Forces? Starfleet has been no different throughout the many movies and series. Unfortunately, most folks see TMP as the stepping stone for TNG. I definatly saw some similiarities when rewatching it recently. I think if they did a limited run of TWOK era crew, they might do well. To try and get a specific buyer to commit to this line could prove dangerous for DST though(?).

#24 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:28 AM

I'm all up for TMP & TWOK style figures.

I just saw TMP the other day...for only the second time...& I realised all the original cast came back for it including Chapel & Rand.

And you would get Decker & Lt. Ilea plus the Ilea probe (who always got cool figures!)
Though they sure changed outfits & uniforms a lot in that movie!!one scene they were wearing one thing...then another in the next huh.gif

But you have to have the older crew in those amazing red uniforms as well.

The Buffy line seems to do very well for DST....I'd say Trek will be the same if not better.
All these figures are a matter of patience IMO.

DST have said they are not done with TOS...

#25 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Sep 10 2006, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To try and get a specific buyer to commit to this line could prove dangerous for DST though(?).

I'm not sure what you're saying, Donster. Could you elaborate a bit on this statement? I'm very interested about your thoughts on this matter.

#26 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:31 AM

definately not TMP! that movie is unwatchable.
Gotta go with TWOK uniforms

#27 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(Goro @ Sep 14 2006, 04:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
definately not TMP! that movie is unwatchable.
Gotta go with TWOK uniforms

I don't know, I think it depends on your tastes. I think TMP deserves another, closer look by anyone who scoffs at it. It has its merits. The biggest one being that it isn't a normal sci-fi movie in that it isn't a shoot 'em up action flick, It's slow and deliberate and it's about solving a mystery and making contact with a new lifeform. It's not about violence. That makes it unique and it is also a very much in the spirit of Star Trek. Is it perfect? No. Is it the perfect Trek? No. But it is better than most people give it credit for.

#28 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:04 PM

I agree, The Motion Picture feels like and adventure. It has that element of space trave which is scarey and filled with excitement and adventure with the idea of the not knowing what you may come into contact with (a very 2001 feel to it). For those reasons I liked The Motion Picture. I also liked most of the uniforms and found the overall design of the movie very appealing, so I'd like to see figure from this movie as well.

Don't know why the toy "buyers" for the retail stores seem to be braindead when it comes to the classic movies. But having dealt with retail for awhile Buyers (whether they be for DVD's, Action Figures or just about anything else) tend to be obtuse in what people tend to be interested in. Case in point when the Buyers scoffed at the idea of red uniformed Kirk and Spock, every poll taken online from AA old boards to TNI showed Extremely high interest in those two figures, bascially above most other options, including Chapel, Rand and a few others. So I think the Buyers need to do one of two things-1 learn about the product they are supposedly knowledgeable about -2 or stop torpedoing good ideas.

Of course some buyers know their business but my expereince has been that alot are clueless especially with Toys R Us.

#29 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

I for one would buy TMP and TWOK style uniforms. I liked both.

Maybe we can all get together and sweet talk Rick at Newforce into supporting these?

It could work. meybe?

#30 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:41 PM

^It could work. I doubt Rick would need much sweet talking to convince him, though. smile.gif

Oh, I really didn't like the TMP uniforms. I don't know why, just something about them. Just a touch of the pyjamas look perhaps. TWOK much better designed. TMP did seem like this really big adventure movie. I just loved the whole Enterprise fly-by and launch sequence. That seemed to go on for ages.

#31 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

The TMP uniforms did not seem any more 'pyjama' like than most other Trek uniforms.

For some reason I liked the TMP uniforms...though I seem to like all the uniforms barring the Captain Pike pilot episode.

I did not like TMP the first few times I tried to watch it years ago. Watching it again the other day I definately found my love for the movie.

I loved the slow scenes moving through space & whatnot that seemed to go forever....I really like a bit of a slow pace now & then.

It was great to see eveyone was included in the movie!

Plus I thought the ending was very touching...I had a tear in my eye as Decker & Ilea joined happy.gif

I hope DST get around to both TMP & red uniforms. But more than anything...I would just like them to finish a damn set. All red uniforms & then all TMP figures...or vise versa....just not Kirk, Spock & McCoy from both movies.

I have no interest in Kirk, Spock & McCoy alone.....only Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu, Checov, Chapel & Rand. Otherwise I don't go near the figures. (well, Rand doesn't bother me too much)

I'm only into complete groups. Hence my dislike for the AA TOS figures which never bothered finishing the crew.

#32 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:34 PM

Technically...they did finish the big 7 from TOS. Rand only appeared in 8 TOS episodes whereas Chapel appeared in 33 plus the animated episodes. I would say Chapel is worthy of a figure however I wouldn't be terribly upset if Rand didn't appear.

#33 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:58 PM

Wow...I never knew Rand was only in 8 episodes!!
I thought she did the whole first season. Well there you go.
Why did they fire her if you don't mind my asking?

Chapel was not in the first season at all, right?

It depends who you are as to whether you care about Chapel & Rand...or indeed Tasha & Pulaski.

I know in general a lot of people just want Kirk, Spock, Picard, Data, Worf & Seven figures.

For me, if they were in a seasonal cast shot at all....I consider them 'up there' in importance.
So no, Guinan is not a main character, but if the Trek producers saw it as worthwhile to put her & Chapel in cast photo's, then they obviously saw them as part of the crew & characters people should be paying attention to for whatever reason.

I'll never understand the anti Chapel thing...I love Majel! I love every character in TOS!! so why doesn't everyone else dammit!! laugh.gif

#34 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:04 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love the TOS characters too. And if they made a Rand figure, I'd definitely be one of the first in line for it.

Chapel was in the first season...she was right throughout the series. Her first episode was "The Naked Time" if I'm not mistaken. Grace Lee Whitney apparently left TOS due to problems with alcohol and attitude (so I'm told...please don't quote me on that).

#35 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Sep 19 2006, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guinan is not a main character

BLASPHEME! I will only tolerate this one slip up Artistix and then you can only know fury and pain! biggrin.gif

#36 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Sep 20 2006, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BLASPHEME! I will only tolerate this one slip up Artistix and then you can only know fury and pain! biggrin.gif

Hehe...

There is no denying you & I are a minority as far as Trek fans go.

Though I like our attitude much more than the 'selective' or the 'hate everything & everyone' Trek fans.
Not that I am disrespecting those people at all....to each their own & all that.

#37 BStu

BStu

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

I actually think if they get to movie figures, they should follow the TNG model and do the final movie, The Undiscovered Country. I sort of think of that as the definative look for the crew. Minor differences, I know, but I prefer it. Besides, I want a fat Scotty. Though, did he really wear his full uniform much in the later movies?

#38 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:12 AM

Not that I can remember. Infact I don't think he wore the full uniform at all. Apart from the end of ST: IV and in Generations that is (I think).

#39 BStu

BStu

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:39 PM

Hmm. I mean, its not that I don't want that little work-outfit he had. That is what he wore for Relics, after all. But I'd like him in his full uniform, too. Maybe if they get to them, they'll do them in waves with variants, anyway. Uniform Scotty and worksuit Scotty, Captain Sulu and not so Captain Sulu, Voyage Home McCoy, etc.

#40 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

I will just be happy if they do them at all...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users