78 replies to this topic

#1 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:45 AM

I'm fearful AA will only look at the series

but I think at the very least a uniform Kirk Spock and McCoy, as well as hopefully a Scotty would be nice, as well as the rest of the crew.

Also

Decker
Ilia
Captain Terrel
Khan
Saavik
David Marcus
Christopher Lloyd Klingon
Admiral anti-Enterprise (ok maybe not him)
Captain of the Excelsior
Kirk in casual uniform from ST3/ST4
Spock in karate looking uniform
Sybok
Chang

those sound good to me.

#2 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:54 AM

I think DST makes the Character selection calls now... AA just sculpts them.

I wouldn't mind some Movie figures, but I really want DST to focus more on the series first.

There are still what I consider to be a few Core charachters in TNG and TOS that I'd rather see done before movie figures.

Once they do those I'd like them to move on to movie stuff.

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:59 AM

I want movie figures after TNG along with DS9. The question is this? If DST does movie figures of Kirk and and Crew would it be in the currrent TOS scale or the new TNG scale? I would honestly prefer the new TNG scale for all movie figures. That way there could be a little interaction between generations and I know some people will want to do some customs with those red Movie uniforms with the TNG cast.

Maybe we can get a poll up for this when our mods get the time?

#4 BStu

BStu

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:06 AM

I expect them to get to the movie era for figures. I hope they are in scale with the new TNG figures and not the old TOS figures. They really should have just stuck with the TOS scale, but now that they've gone and done something else, I'd rather see them stick with it. My guess, though, is that we'll only get the later redcoat uniforms and probably few (if any) non-bridge figures. I could see Khan, but even Saavik seems like a long-shot to me.

#5 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

I've felt for a LOOOOONG time that the movies have been an untapped resource. I never understood why Playmates only really came out with TMP figures..went all out for that...and then didn't bother with figures from the movies that get Star Trek back on it's feet.

The scale is a tough one for me. I would of preferred they stayed with the Classic scale for the TNG figures and I still don't understand why they boosted it up. Originally I thought it was so that people could use the Data and Picard Nemesis figures with the new Diamond stuff, however they were still out of scale.

I would most likely display any of my Classic movie figures with the Classic Trek figures I already have so I would prefer the figures to be in the smaller scale. But for TNG movie figures (we would only really need villians, since the uniforms are bascially taken care of) I would prefer the scale to stay with the larger TNG scale.

#6 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:09 PM

Other than DS9 figures, I would seriously love TOS movie figures. I would also prefer that the movie figures be in the new TNG scale. The movies are, after all, closer to the look and feel of the TNG era than the TOS era and there has been a good deal of crossover between TNG and the TOS movies with the uniforms and Spock and Scotty and such. It would also make customs with the TNG figures easier. It would also make it easier for DST to eventually make Enterprise-C officers from YE as well as a Tapestry Ensign Picard.

I imagine if DST did the TOS movies, it would be structured in a similar way to what they are doing now. So I'm sure if and when they pursue such a line, we will see many versions of each character. Maybe even both TMP and TWOK-TUC styles of each character as well as other variants. And, of course, characters like Khan and various Klingons would be a logical part of the mix, hopefully.

#7 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

These figures would be a great addition to my shelf, but they are third on my want list. I want to get DS9 and Voyager finished before we get to these. I agree with Knightone that we might get multi-versions of each figure. I just want my Voyager figures to get finished DST style.

#8 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:05 PM

I know alot of people want Voyager figures but my concern is that the sales on those would be so low that we may not get Movie era figures. I think although there are some very vocal fans of Voyager I personally don't think that there are enough people who would buy it. I consider myself a Star Trek fan and even I would probably only get one or two of the characters from that show.
I think the way to go with Voyager is do DS9 then Movie era figures and then do a "Legacy" line to help fill in holes and so on for all the lines. IN the Legacy line they could make Voyager figures.

#9 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Sep 8 2006, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want movie figures after TNG along with DS9. The question is this? If DST does movie figures of Kirk and and Crew would it be in the currrent TOS scale or the new TNG scale? I would honestly prefer the new TNG scale for all movie figures. That way there could be a little interaction between generations and I know some people will want to do some customs with those red Movie uniforms with the TNG cast.
Maybe we can get a poll up for this when our mods get the time?

I say TOS scale since you really aren't going to have TOS with TNG characters in "real life" anyway

although you probably wouldn't have TOS with movie TOS either

#10 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:00 PM

I'd like a TOS movie line too. I just think those uniforms are great and, if they are made, they'll probably be the only TOS figures I'll get. My guess is that the TOS movie figures would be in scale to the TNG ones. DST only stayed at the old scle so that the TOS figures could be finished off.

As for when we might expect this suggested line, I wouldn't pin your hopes for after-DS9-but-before-Voyager. At least let them get the main Voyager personnel out like Janeway, Seven and the Doctor first.

There are probably more Voyager fans out there than you think, you know.

However, if we're nice, DST might just whet our appatites with a movie Kirk, Spock and McCoy. wink.gif

#11 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:07 PM

I'm so not getting into this argument again. I'm feeling a sense of deja vu all of a sudden!! biggrin.gif

#12 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:19 PM

I though that AA had actually annouced Movie (II) Kirk & Spock at one point as part of series 3.

So I would think we might see them.

#13 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:24 PM

I would love a TOS movie line of figures! As long as none of them are released as mega exclusives that you cant get without taking out a second mortgage, it would be nice to have them.

#14 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Sep 8 2006, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I though that AA had actually annouced Movie (II) Kirk & Spock at one point as part of series 3.

So I would think we might see them.

They were. Retailer response wasn't high on them, though, so they were dropped. If protos were made, they're probably gone now. So a this line would have to start from scratch, which is a good thing.

QUOTE(Goro @ Sep 8 2006, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I say TOS scale since you really aren't going to have TOS with TNG characters in "real life" anyway

although you probably wouldn't have TOS with movie TOS either

Actually, there was plenty of crossover between the TOS movies and the 24th century. There was the Scotty in "Relics", Ambassador Spock In "Unification", Admiral McCoy in"Encounter at Farpoint", and the beginning of Generations, not to mention the reuse of uniforms and uniform elements in Yesterday's Enterprise and Tapestry and Voyager's "Flashback" as well as other instances like Cadet Picard's photo in Nemesis. So the TOS movies are very connected to the TNG era moreso than they are to the TOS era and moreso than the TNG era is to the TOS era as well. I would imagine if we saw a TOS movie line and it were in scale to the TNG figures, it would allow for the release of "Relics" Scotty, Admiral McCoy, Ambassador Spock, and Generations Kirk. It would also allow for Ensign Picard from "Tapestry", Janeway and Tuvok from "Flashback", as well Captain Garret and Lt. Castillo from "Yesterday's Enterprise".

#15 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE(DavAnthony @ Sep 8 2006, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know alot of people want Voyager figures but my concern is that the sales on those would be so low that we may not get Movie era figures. I think although there are some very vocal fans of Voyager I personally don't think that there are enough people who would buy it. I consider myself a Star Trek fan and even I would probably only get one or two of the characters from that show.
I think the way to go with Voyager is do DS9 then Movie era figures and then do a "Legacy" line to help fill in holes and so on for all the lines. IN the Legacy line they could make Voyager figures.

Dav,
I think that a wave of Seven and Janeway would sell much more than the Dr. Crusher/Ro/Q wave will.

However, I'd agree that a Chakota/Torres or Kim/Paris wave would sell very poorly.

One other concern about Voyager is that, other than Seven, there aren't too many variants you can do. Of course, they did change outfits occasionally, but they're not nearly as recognizable as all the different TNG variants. They wore the same outfits for 7 years. They didn't use EVA suits often, if at all. They never visited the Mirror Universe. Their future-jumping final episode wasn't 1/10th as well-received as All Good Things. (And please don't mention Capt. Proton.)

However, I think Voyager could be the cheapest to produce for DST. If they make early-season DS9 characters, they'll have the bodies for regular versions of Chakotay, Paris, Kim, and Tuvok. They could share a small female body between Janeway and Torres (both 5'5"), and they'd just need unique bodies for Neelix and Seven. I think that Seven would be worth the cost.

As much as I want to see TWOK versions of Kirk/Spock/McCoy, I don't want to see Voyager ignored. It's an important piece of the Star Trek universe and a show I greatly enjoyed.

#16 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:38 AM

pickard,
I respect that. I guess for me I grew really disapointed with Voyager. In it's first few seasons I enjoyed it even more then DS9, I thought the characters were really different and I liked Janeway and the whole crew but after awhile I felt it was the same rehashed storylines I had seen on TNG. Also the fact that they ignored certain "things" I thought were important like showing some wear and tear on the ship, etc.
I just felt they didn't go as far with it as they could and ended up piggy-backing on storylines and villians that other series had already made headway with. For me Enterprise was a far superior show then Voyager but due to Voyager being the main decline of Star Trek(in my opinion at least) Enterprise had an uphill battle.
So I'm not saying that Voyager should be ignored (I want you to get the figures you want too!) I just feel that neither should the Classic Movies and if Voyager gets made before them then that is what may happen. I think there is more fan support for the Classic movies and more customers then there are for Voyager.
I also think more casual fans would pick up a Kirk, Spock, Khan etc from their childhood then a Janeway, Paris etc. Of course we'll all get a Seven of Nine because she was a major piece of A$$ wink.gif

#17 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:32 AM

NO TMP PASTEL PAJAMAS!!!!

#18 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(DavAnthony @ Sep 9 2006, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
pickard,
I respect that. I guess for me I grew really disapointed with Voyager. In it's first few seasons I enjoyed it even more then DS9, I thought the characters were really different and I liked Janeway and the whole crew but after awhile I felt it was the same rehashed storylines I had seen on TNG. Also the fact that they ignored certain "things" I thought were important like showing some wear and tear on the ship, etc.
I just felt they didn't go as far with it as they could and ended up piggy-backing on storylines and villians that other series had already made headway with. For me Enterprise was a far superior show then Voyager but due to Voyager being the main decline of Star Trek(in my opinion at least) Enterprise had an uphill battle.
So I'm not saying that Voyager should be ignored (I want you to get the figures you want too!) I just feel that neither should the Classic Movies and if Voyager gets made before them then that is what may happen. I think there is more fan support for the Classic movies and more customers then there are for Voyager.
I also think more casual fans would pick up a Kirk, Spock, Khan etc from their childhood then a Janeway, Paris etc. Of course we'll all get a Seven of Nine because she was a major piece of A$$ wink.gif

Dav,

You and I are in agreement. Classic movie figures need to be made. NOW.

I just "know" that some VOY figures will sell as well as some TNG and DS9. That was the primary point of my post.

You are correct that "there is more fan support for the Classic movies and more customers then there are for Voyager."

I'll add that there is more fan support for the Classic movies and more customers then there are for DS9.

I will disagree a bit about VOY being the main point of the franchise's decline. It was a factor, certainly. However, I think it was Enterprise's boring second season that really "killed" Trek. People tuned in to ENT's premiere. ENT didn't keep them around. (VOY was off the air; it didn't drive them away.)

I think that DS9 also contributed to Trek's decline. (And I think it was superior in nearly every way to other Treks.) I have friends who are Trekkies who still don't know how great DS9 is because it started off slow. They stopped watching in season 1 or 2, and they couldn't tune back in when it got great, because the already-underway, continuing storylines were intimidating. (These are the same people who never tuned back into ENT when that show got great in seasons 3 and 4.)

While we're at it, the craptacular Star Trek: Insurrection, a mediocre two-part episode that cost $8 to see, did the franchise no favors either.

And, yes, the USS Voyager should have shown wear-and-tear from the second episode on, and, if it was repaired, it should have been mentioned. And don't forget the seemingly limitless supply of shuttles.

Dan

#19 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE(Sybeck1 @ Sep 9 2006, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NO TMP PASTEL PAJAMAS!!!!

I love Kirk's admiral outfit!

I'm not sure why the TMP outfits get labeled as "pajamas" when the TNG season 1 & 2 pajamas are well-remembered.

#20 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(pickard @ Sep 9 2006, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dav,

You and I are in agreement. Classic movie figures need to be made. NOW.

I just "know" that some VOY figures will sell as well as some TNG and DS9. That was the primary point of my post.

You are correct that "there is more fan support for the Classic movies and more customers then there are for Voyager."

I'll add that there is more fan support for the Classic movies and more customers then there are for DS9.

I will disagree a bit about VOY being the main point of the franchise's decline. It was a factor, certainly. However, I think it was Enterprise's boring second season that really "killed" Trek. People tuned in to ENT's premiere. ENT didn't keep them around. (VOY was off the air; it didn't drive them away.)

I think that DS9 also contributed to Trek's decline. (And I think it was superior in nearly every way to other Treks.) I have friends who are Trekkies who still don't know how great DS9 is because it started off slow. They stopped watching in season 1 or 2, and they couldn't tune back in when it got great, because the already-underway, continuing storylines were intimidating. (These are the same people who never tuned back into ENT when that show got great in seasons 3 and 4.)

While we're at it, the craptacular Star Trek: Insurrection, a mediocre two-part episode that cost $8 to see, did the franchise no favors either.

And, yes, the USS Voyager should have shown wear-and-tear from the second episode on, and, if it was repaired, it should have been mentioned. And don't forget the seemingly limitless supply of shuttles.

Dan

Dan

Good points all around and I agree smile.gif

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users