The Worst Star Trek Movie Is...

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: The Worst Star Trek Movie (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your least favourite Star Trek movie and why?

1. Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

5. Voted Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (9 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

6. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Star Trek: Generations (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

8. Star Trek: First Contact (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Star Trek: Insurrection (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

10. Star Trek: Nemesis (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Star Trek (2009) (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

12. Star Trek Into Darkness (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

I'm sure this has been done before but since the news came out of the Las Vegas Con, I wondered if people here really feel as though Star Trek Into Darkness was indeed the worst Star Trek movie?

Whilst Insurrection is an average TV episode of TNG and whilst the movie that what was left after the editing of Nemesis had all the potential to be blindingly good yet failed to capitalise on anything...

For me the worst Star Trek movie is Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. Ok so the relationships between Kirk, Spock and McCoy were firing on all thrusters, the rest of the movie though just sucked and then some. The special effects were appalling, the story ridiculous and it all felt completely flat, rushed and two dimensional. Ok there was a writers strike but this was the year that Batman, Indiana Jones and Back to the Future Part 2 all came out... When you think about the three movies this followed (WoK, SfS & TVH) it becomes even harder to accept it as anything but completely rubbish.

Its not all bad though, there are some gems in this log laid by Shatner. The camp-fire scenes, the revealing McCoy's and Spock's fear scene and occasionally I felt sorry for Sybok (either due to his misguided passion or the appalling story he was given). When you think about the finale of The Voyage Home, and all that happened in that trilogy of movies and the hope and excitement that movie gave you as the Enterprise A warped away, watching Spock toast marshmallows, Kirk wearing a "Go Climb a Rock" T-shirt and *wrench* Uhura's naked fan dance... searching for god on the edge of the final frontier isn't exactly what I'd have been hoping for.  

Also The Motion Picture isn't great either.

#2 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

I gave it to generations. Because, it was crap, that's why!

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

I enjoyed Generations but thought STV was crap.

#4 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

ST:V in my book....

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

I gave it to generations. Because, it was crap, that's why!

Lol! I was trying to decide if generations or ST V was crappier!

I went with Generations too. As flawed as V is, I think Generations was worse.

#6 Exelion

Exelion

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

The motion picture, bar seeing the refit in stardock and couple of tunes from the soundtrack, the film has no other redeeming qualities. If you removed all the needless ship shots and people staring at a view screen, you could quite happily cut that movie to about 30 minutes, it is a boring film.

Star Trek V has a lot of problems, most noticeably Shatner and his ego, but at least it attempts to have humour, action, and character growth, it may fail miserably at most but at least it tries. I actually quite like Generations, bar the terrible Christmas sequence, the fist fight and a couple of other minor things, I genuinely enjoyed the movie. Didn't really mind them killing Kirk either.

In order 2,8,6,4,7,11,12,3,9,5,10,1

#7 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

I just rewatched Star Trek the motion picture last night and i will say that it is a great science fiction movie! There may not have been a lot of action, but it was what Star Trek was about. I also came to like Star Trek V, because it also dealt with an issue in classic Star Trek fashion. It may have been short of funding for special effects, but i still think it worked. Generations was a great movie i thought, even the Christmas sequence. The newest movie, into darkness, is the worst movie in Star Trek history IMO. Yes, there is action, but its the worst storyline, using material from other movies, and using it very badly. You would think with 4 years since the prior movie they could have written a decent script, but apparently they were just trying to capitalize on established popular Star Trek themes but did an awful job doing it. I cant emphasize my disgust with this movie enough.

#8 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

The two reboot movies, they're just not my thing, but instead of picking one of them, I'm going to choose one of the prime-verse Trek films. I don't outright hate any of them, as there's parts to all of them I love. However, if there's one that I had to give up, and never see ever again, I'd pick The Motion Picture. Generations wouldn't be far behind though (killing off Kirk, ruining the chance of one more TOS film forever, and also, the possibility of a cameo here for future series). Also, after TNG's final scene (something that still gets the eyes watering), Generations felt so different, and rather cold.
'Cold' though, is why I would still choose TMP, though. The crew seemed stiff with each other, and that just irks me a bit. No doubting that in choosing that film, I'd be giving up one of the best pieces of sci-fi cinema ever - the ship in drydock. Also, Jerry Goldsmith's score, incredible. But aye, that'd be my choice if you excused me from including the films made since 2009. :)

#9 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

The Motion Picture was so dull and IMO not at all what Star Trek was - certainly it wasn't in the same spirit as the original series and failed miserably at being true to the iconic TV series.

Wrath of Khan was a great movie, again it wasn't in the spirit of the original series but it was the polar opposite to TMP, dark, brooding and a logical progression from the original series and in particular the episode "Space Seed"

The Search for Spock dreamed big and would have been really cool had it been given the money to be all it could have been. Having said that, IMO it's truly satisfying as a follow up to Wrath of Khan. If Khan set the tone, Search established the TOS movie tone.

The Voyage Home was such a brilliant balance between mainstream comedy movie, slight parody and awesome Star Trek movie and those aspects combined turned out to be a really great Trek movie, great message, great humour, great Trek. Hope was high for Star Trek five.

The Final Frontier oh dear...

The Undiscovered Country came too late I feel. Had this been Star Trek five, I think it would have been remembered as one of the best Star Trek movie but I think whilst the story is great, and on the whole the film works, I think the crew were past their prime and not having grown up on TOS (I'm a TNG boy) I just felt that these guys were just too old to be saving the universe. TNG had taken the wind out of TOS by the time TUC came along.

Generations was where Star Trek began to grab my attention. I'd been watching TNG and DS9 on TV, BBC 2, 6pm for a few years since my mum is a huge Star Trek fan but I'd never really take it in and appreciate it... Until Generations. The climactic crash sequence was incredible and from that day forth I was a Star Trek fan.

First Contact was  just an amazing movie and is my favourite of the 10 classic Star Trek movies. It did with TNG what WoK did for TOS.

Insurrection a decent TV movie

Nemesis I loved back in 2003 (it released in Jan 2003 in the UK), the Enterprise E crashing into the Scimitar was just brilliant and I remember thinking that Star Trek had become cool again... over 10 years on Nemesis kind of revealed itself to be a decent but a flawed movie

Star Trek was one of those movies that made me realise how incredible Star Trek could be with the right amount of money. Had Frakes or Meyer been given this kind of money they'd have done their Star Trek movies like this. That opening 10 minutes was just jaw dropping. Star Trek for me had come full circle. the past nicely wrapped up with the future just beginning... Star Trek was back.

Into Darkness was simply incredible. From the action, to the suggestive storyline. Did it have it's faults? Yes sure but what Trek movies... What movies haven't and to be fair, there have been Star Trek movies with far more issues and plot holes than Into Darkness. 

I've approached this new era of Star Trek movies with an open mind. This is of course just another chapter in the history of Star Trek just as TNG was a radical departure from TOS and just as Deep Space Nine was a departure from TNG. Whilst many fans remain adamant that this betrays whatever, it really doesn't. From TMP, Star Trek has always been able to be anything in style and substance, from the gung-ho, wagon train nature of TOS to the slow, thoughtful and intellectual (hmm) story of TMP to the humour of TVH, the cheesy, crap-tastic, TFF and now the action and spectacle of the Abrams movies... 

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

1701, you certainly have an interesting perspective on each movie. 

I'll just say that I don't STITD is the worst of all the trek movies, but I think it shares elements of many other Trek movies. Most obviously its a remake of TWOK, but it also has elements of Insurrection, both feature a commander that has lost their values with respect to what the Federation and Starfleet is about. Likewise I see elements of TUC in ITD as well. To me it becomes a bit of an amalgam of TWOK, TUC and Insurrection. But I don't find it to be the worst.

Just out of curiosity, is the re a link to the poll or an article that talks about it?

#11 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Is Into Darkness a remake of Wrath of Khan though? Apart from the bit where Kirk dies and Spock shouts Khaaaaaaaan, I can't see where people are shouting remake from... There are nods to Trek lore but nothing that was ever only seen in Wrath of Khan... Into Darkness for me was more Space Seed than Wrath of Khan... If they keep Khan for the next one and if Cumberbatch wakes up and steals the Reliant to go after Spock (since Spock was really the guy who pissed Khan off by making him think he'd blown up his family as well as knocking the crap out of him on top of the barge), then I'd see fans point.

So yes there were aspects of Khan in Into Darkness but was it a remake? Certainly not and to think that it was, is just silly.

#12 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

I, and allot of other people are just silly then. :lol:

Oh, hey, since you didn't want to add any links relating to the original topic...

http://www.huffingto..._n_3755769.html

http://www.independe...es-8763317.html

http://www.theguardi...ess-voted-worst

http://badassdigest....trek-con-goers/

#13 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

JJTrek is the worst. Haven't even seen ID, because my time is too precious.

Just watched one of my favorite ST movies the other night, which indeed is Final Frontier. I really like it and enjoy it every time.

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

From the articles talking about the poll at the con... Last statement about ITD would be exactly what I was saying above!

The most controversial spots were the bottom two. A vocal contingent wanted Star Trek Into Darkness listed last, but a large group insisted this honor belonged to the dismal Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. I agree with how the list turned out; while The Final Frontier is almost literally unwatchable (I turned it off halfway through the last two times I tried on Blu), it's at the very least originalStar Trek Into Darkness is a bad movie made badly that is also bad Star Trek and, worst of all, a cheap rehash of better things.

Also... Glaxy Quest made #7 on the list :D

You may have noticed this list began at 13 and that there are, to date, only 12 Star Trek films. That's because Galaxy Quest made the cut. Not only did Galaxy Quest make the cut, it was listed at NUMBER TWO early in the proceedings. And what's more, Mike and Denise Okuda - the graphic designers who created the GUI on all TNG era ships - lobbied for it to be considered the best film in the franchise. These are people who started working on Trek with The Voyage Home! The film's inclusion was met with largely happy replies, although one guy seemed offended it was listed at all. Eventually the film dropped from the second spot to nestle right here, dividing the halves of the list, coming right between the movies people like and the rest of them.

#15 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

The Star Trek bit is at the end but I've got to say I agree with what they said, perhaps not the way they said it but they have a point and furthermore, it kind of reveals (all be it between three movie fans) how people see Trekkers...

#16 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

I, and allot of other people are just silly then. :lol:

Oh, hey, since you didn't want to add any links relating to the original topic...

http://www.huffingto..._n_3755769.html

http://www.independe...es-8763317.html

http://www.theguardi...ess-voted-worst

http://badassdigest....trek-con-goers/

Goth, dude, seriously??? Into Darkness was not a remake of Wrath of Khan... Come on now...

Plus thanks for the links, I just assumed everyone knew about the poll taken in LV

#17 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

Sure it is! Instead of focusing his "Wrath" at Kirk for stranding him on a planet, he focuses it at Admiral whazzy-whos-it becuase he thinks he killed his crew/buddies!

oh... that guy in your link doesn't know what he's talking about. He said "They didn't even rate Undiscovered country in the top 3 or 4", and actually, it was rated #3, right after 1st contact.

The 2009 reboot was rated #6, so the argument that they make that fans are just "Haters" isn't true either, though I actually do agree its not the worst Trek film out there!

The list is actually pretty well thought out... check out the last link that one has lots of play by play from someone actually part of it from the sounds of it.

#18 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'm gonna side with AMC on this one.

#19 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

If by side with them that its not the worst, then yes, I agree too!

But the top 4, which are TWOK, 1st Contact, TUC and Voyage Home, I think is probably correct.

The base bottom, which includes, TFF, Insurrection, Nemesis and Generations is probably pretty good too.  All the rest I would lump in the middle.

I'd honestly probably stick ITD around 8 or 9. But thats because its a remake :rolleyes: ;)

#20 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

I did vow to myself that I'd stop weighing in on discussions of STID - I get too wrapped up in it, but I'll just drop in on this one to rate STID as the unquivocal worst Star Trek film.

It set up so many tantalising elements in the first 40 minutes, and then suddenly flipped the stupid switch. I felt like the rug had been pulled out from under me, and it turned my stomach a little. The "references" were more like parody, except they weren't funny. They were verbatim trot-outs without context or heart. It was appalling.

I'll stop here, I can feel another rant building, and nobody wants that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users