11 replies to this topic

#1 KLWILBUR

KLWILBUR

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Music, science, philosophy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm newly registered to the forum but I've been browsing it for a while. I've been a ST:TNG fan since the first episode, but just recently discovered the toys and found an interest in collecting the 4.5" scale Playmates line. I've picked up all the ST:TNG related figures and playesets so far. I'm an open box collector.

I had been struggling with a way to display them. The coolest things about these figures are the accessories that come with them and there didn't seem to be an easy way to display them.

I came up with the idea of mounting the accessories on small boards with fishing line and velcro and then placing everything on wooden shelves with LED strip lighting. I wanted to share this in case anyone else would be interested in building these for their own collections. I purchased the basic shelves from an individual online for only $60 each which I thought was a steal. I then added the LED lights and wiring and lips on the ends of each shelf along with the mounted accessory boards. If anyone is interested, I can provide all the details on where to get the materials and how to put it all together.

#2 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

That's pretty nice.

#3 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

sweet. i just got a light for my glass case

#4 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (KLWILBUR @ Feb 19 2013, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello everyone,

I'm newly registered to the forum but I've been browsing it for a while. I've been a ST:TNG fan since the first episode, but just recently discovered the toys and found an interest in collecting the 4.5" scale Playmates line. I've picked up all the ST:TNG related figures and playesets so far. I'm an open box collector.

I had been struggling with a way to display them. The coolest things about these figures are the accessories that come with them and there didn't seem to be an easy way to display them.

I came up with the idea of mounting the accessories on small boards with fishing line and velcro and then placing everything on wooden shelves with LED strip lighting. I wanted to share this in case anyone else would be interested in building these for their own collections. I purchased the basic shelves from an individual online for only $60 each which I thought was a steal. I then added the LED lights and wiring and lips on the ends of each shelf along with the mounted accessory boards. If anyone is interested, I can provide all the details on where to get the materials and how to put it all together.

That is an excellent idea! I wish I had thought of it myself. I have an interest in the lighting as I have all my 9" and 12" playmates on shelves on the walls and was thinking on ways to light them. What kind of costs were involved with the lighting?

#5 Tyjos Azari

Tyjos Azari

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Collecting,Photography

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

That's pretty cool there.

#6 KLWILBUR

KLWILBUR

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (VorlonKosh @ Feb 19 2013, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is an excellent idea! I wish I had thought of it myself. I have an interest in the lighting as I have all my 9" and 12" playmates on shelves on the walls and was thinking on ways to light them. What kind of costs were involved with the lighting?

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

VorlonKosh,

Here’s what you need for one shelf if you are so inclined to build one exactly like mine (obviously you can pick and choose what you want for your own):

The cabinet itself:
-Purchased from Dennis Wood. He will customize these for whatever figures you have. (dbldr51@att.net) He custom makes the basic shelf for $60 (which includes shipping). Mine is about 2 feet wide, 4 feet tall and 3 inches deep and allows for eight 5 1/2 inch spaces.

To hang it:
-Picture hanging kit - http://www.amazon.co...T...me=&seller=

To light it:
-1 x 16 foot LED Light Stip - http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00
-1 x LED Power Supply - http://www.amazon.co...ils_o01_s00_i00
-Roll of 18-20 gauge stranded two conductor wire (to wire the light strips together) – Radio Shack
-Heat shrink (to help connect the power supply to the LEDs) – Radio Shack
-Bag of Cable clamps - need to get a link for this. Will update when I do. (to keep the wires from drooping down)
-8# 3/8” wood screws - http://www.lowes.com...?fromStore=true (to secure the cable clamps)

To mount the accessories:
-One pack of 3”x24”x3/32” Basswood Sheets (15 per pack) enough for accessory mounts for 60 characters - http://www.amazon.co...ils_o06_s00_i00
-2 lb fishing line and fishing weights – sporting goods store
-Small pack of clear/white Velcro – fabric store
-18+ feet of 3/4" maple veneer edging (to allow for an edge so the accessory mount boards don’t slide off…these also help to slightly shield the LED lights) – Menards or other hardware store

Tools required:
-Soldering iron
-Screw driver
-Hand drill (to drill holes through the back of the cabinet for wire routing)
-Clothes Iron (to heat the glue on the veneer edging)
-Normal pliers
-Needle nose pliers
-Scissors
-Knife or razor (to score basswood for breaking)

I can provide other info if needed.

#7 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Hey Kelly! Glad you were finally able to sign up.

Love that shelving unit.

#8 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

Wow that really looks impressive! biggrin.gif

#9 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Very cool way of displaying everything. Were you thinking of adding a plexiglass door or anything to it? (To keep dust build up to a minimum)

#10 KLWILBUR

KLWILBUR

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (Wildcard @ Feb 20 2013, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very cool way of displaying everything. Were you thinking of adding a plexiglass door or anything to it? (To keep dust build up to a minimum)

Hey Wildcard, thanks. The plexiglass door idea isn't a bad one...I may do that at some point as it wouldn't be too difficult. However, right now I like to give my 4-year-old son the ability to play on the lower shelves with extra figures.

I also realized that the pics I posted were from my first rough try with the lights. I fixed the wiring on that shelf by clamping it up in the corners and lowered the overhang so it covers the LEDs better. I just finished with two shelves, have one shelf half wired and have a fourth shelf predrilled and ready to go. I'll get pics up of the whole setup in a week or so.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. If anyone is interested in getting hooked up with one of these, let me know and I'll be glad to help!

#11 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

That looks pretty sweet bud! I especially like the slanted parts where the accessories are displayed. Very nice indeed

#12 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

Found this while searching the site for display cabinet ideas.  Nice work.  It reminds me of the Muppet Show intro, especially the side view shot with Worf "strutting his stuff".

...This is what we call the Star Trek SHOW!!!!!

(blarrrrrrt)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users