• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

Okay, upcoming in our 6th anniversary, which going traditionally is "iron". I've done pretty well up to now, but I'm stumped on something iron-y to get my wife (I'll jump to the inevitable and tell you we already have a barely-used iron & board wink.gif ). I could easily go the knick-knack route, but that seems too easy. So I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts out there...!

#2 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

Cast iron cookware?

How about a cast iron ball and chain from Leavenworth ... $99 on Amazon tongue.gif

OK, this is going nowhere good for me in a hurry...

#3 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

A baby Rev? There full of iron and that's what I gave to my wife to get over these special occasion gifts tongue.gif Of course now I have to take my son and help him pick out a card rolleyes.gif Like Chimp, I'm not very good help, sorry sad.gif

#4 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:52 AM

Perhaps a bit of iron sculpture that can be kept on a desk, table or nailed to the wall, just find something you think would suit her tastes of course.

#5 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:58 AM

get your self one of these

and you can be her Iron Man!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

try
http://www.buycheapr...etal sculptures

#6 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (The_Donster @ Mar 16 2011, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A baby Rev?

Unless I go the celeb route and import one from Haiti, this probably wouldn't be happening. wink.gif

QUOTE (Commodore Kor'Tar @ Mar 16 2011, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.., just find something you think would suit her tastes of course.

That's my problem. She doesn't collect anything, nor have any strong interests. And I'm the one who decorates and stuff.. so any knick-knacky thing would be because I think it looks nice. laugh.gif

QUOTE (WORF22 @ Mar 16 2011, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
get your self one of these

and you can be her Iron Man!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

The funny thing is when I first saw that the thing was "iron", I thought too bad she's not into figures cos that'd be an easy one!

I've seen a couple of things here that have made me think a little... Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep 'em comin'! smile.gif

#7 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

A romantic dinner made up of iron-rich foods?

Curling iron?

Something ironic? 'Course if I say anything that actually helps that would possibly be ironic since I'm perpetually single. tongue.gif

It sounds like this will be pretty complicated, good luck with that! biggrin.gif

#8 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

How about an Iron Maiden CD ... (EXCELLENT!!!!... << air guitar >>) smile.gif

#9 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:48 AM

I'm actually impressed that a guy goes to such lengths to think beyond the usual meal and flowers scenario for a wedding anniversary - would that my other half put so much thought into actually finding out what represents each anniversary! He just about knows it's our silver wedding next year and so far I've had to nix a dull old party for the usual ill-behaved, squabbling family members and, heavens forfend, renewing our vows in a 2nd wedding beacuse ours was so naff! My perfect 25th year celebration would be a week in Rome - but so far I've had to fend off accusations that not wanting a dull old party with the squabbling relations and friends is "selfish"!! rolleyes.gif

I'm still working on getting to dangle my toes in the Trevi Fountain!

From a female perspective I'd say that anything related to domestic chores would earn you a body-blow of some well-deserved force, but I think you know that already! Also, avoid the lingerie route unless you know what you're doing in that department! Certainly do not buy lingerie without vital parts normally associated with underwear, and avoid the red and black or PVC unless you know your wife likes that stuff and it's not really a gift for you. Female choices of lingerie are usually either pretty or practical. wink.gif

I think the idea that another guy gave about her personal interests would show her that you care about her to find out what she really likes. You say she doesn't collect anything or have any discernable interests - are you sure, of has she just merely laid them to one side because she feels that you both afford to collect things and persue interests? Everybody has interests! Why don't you try having a secret conversation with her best female friends to find out? Avoid mums - their suggestions are boringly practical and if she doesn't like you much then likely to get you into trouble!!

Maybe a meal and a night away at a posh hotel? A treat like a balloon ride that you can both enjoy?

#10 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

did you look at the link i put?

#11 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Mar 17 2011, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...He just about knows it's our silver wedding next year and so far I've had to nix a dull old party for the usual ill-behaved, squabbling family members and, heavens forfend, renewing our vows in a 2nd wedding beacuse ours was so naff! My perfect 25th year celebration would be a week in Rome - but so far I've had to fend off accusations that not wanting a dull old party with the squabbling relations and friends is "selfish"!! rolleyes.gif
From a female perspective I'd say that anything related to domestic chores would earn you a body-blow of some well-deserved force, but I think you know that already!
Maybe a meal and a night away at a posh hotel? A treat like a balloon ride that you can both enjoy?

Maybe if it's "silver" it'll be silverware for dinner with the family! wink.gif And how would wanting a quiet dinner be considered selfish?

I know it wouldn't bother her, but I still wouldn't do the "chore" type gift anyway. The one idea above that I kinda liked was the cookware (since she says she enjoys cooking), but that's my one reservation on buying that.

And we are actually going away, but it kind of just happened to fall on that weekend when we were trying to think of a time to go. Headed up to Mackinaw Island for the weekend.. very pretty place. smile.gif

QUOTE (WORF22 @ Mar 17 2011, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
did you look at the link i put?

I did indeed.. aside from the cookware idea, the other thing that caught my attention thus far was there!

#12 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (reverie @ Mar 18 2011, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe if it's "silver" it'll be silverware for dinner with the family! wink.gif And how would wanting a quiet dinner be considered selfish?

We have silverware already covered as wedding presents! As for me being "selfish", well hubby's rationale there is that we have been to a couple of 25th Wedding celebrations and it would be selfish not to have one ourselves - however, I presume that the couples concerned had parties because they wanted them and also don't have family members who look like the Adams Family and squabble like the Simpsons!

I know it wouldn't bother her, but I still wouldn't do the "chore" type gift anyway. The one idea above that I kinda liked was the cookware (since she says she enjoys cooking), but that's my one reservation on buying that.

Well, is she enjoys cooking as a hobby then cooking equipment would be fine. My husband - who rarely cooks BTW - has a cookware fetish like you'd never believe. The latest purchases were posh Swedish "Scan Pans" - he actually likes cookery shops like some guys ...enjoy toy shops! I enjoy cooking when I have the time to do it at leisure, but when I'm in a hurry it's a chore.

And we are actually going away, but it kind of just happened to fall on that weekend when we were trying to think of a time to go. Headed up to Mackinaw Island for the weekend.. very pretty place. smile.gif

That's great! I have heard of that place!

#13 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

How about an iron spike Rev? Like the one she put through your heart wink.gif I was doing a quick google search and came up with this. So what about a Iron and Wine cd? Not a bad sounding band, but it might not suit your musical taste either. Apparently if you google iron anniversary gift idea it will give you a couple of options for gift ideas and where to get them too. I'd definitely recommend talking to her friends. She definitely has interests. Everyone does, we just as spouses tend to forget that. But I won't turn this into my soap box, this is for your anniversary. So we can make suggestions until the cows come home. In the end though, she is going to love the gift that came from your heart wub.gif

#14 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

Any more news on what you went for Rev?

#15 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

Here's what I'm probably going with. She was into ancestry.com for awhile (and photos from her mom), and I know she wants to get back to it when we can afford it a little better. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions & levity. wink.gif And ultimate thanks to Worf for the link where I spotted something like this and got the idea!

#16 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

What a lovely gift - I am sure she will love it!

#17 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:00 PM

I'll second that, really cool idea. Great job, let us know how the anniversary goes.

#18 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (reverie @ Mar 21 2011, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's what I'm probably going with. She was into ancestry.com for awhile (and photos from her mom), and I know she wants to get back to it when we can afford it a little better. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions & levity. wink.gif And ultimate thanks to Worf for the link where I spotted something like this and got the idea!

can't keep one but I know what they like. roflmao.gif ha blink.gif that is nice i think she will love it. happy I could help out.

#19 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:00 AM

I was thinking of DS9 You've Been Cordially Invited and thinking about asking a Klingon for advice on an anniversary gift - what would Worf have suggested?

Certainly his ideas for a honeymoon (an endurance hike through Vulcan's Forge) didn't fill Jadzia with much enthusiasm, and didn't exactly inspire the Rikers in the novel version of Star Trek Nemesis! tongue.gif

#20 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

Well, it was the best I could find, but apparently it's not made anymore and I can't find it anywhere online. sad.gif Back to hunting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users