A Question for Batman fans!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (Quadrotritacale @ Mar 15 2011, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the response, Jules. I didn't know about the other thread...I'll post about the new Batman movie over there from now on.

smile.gif I don't think it really matters where you post - although the other thread is probably now more relevant due to the news of the actually confirmed casting.

One thing about Hardy's casting that intrigues me is how it will likely lead to his role in "Star Trek: Nemesis" being one of the things he's LEAST remembered for! How many actors star as the villain in a Star Trek movie and that ends up only being a stepping stone to better roles rather than one of the roles they're best known for? Shinzon was one of Hardy's first roles, but it already seems to be forgotten by many since the movie was not a hit. In his review of "Bronson", critic Roger Ebert identifies Hardy as a veteran of British gangster films. It is only now, after almost 10 years since "Star Trek: Nemesis" that Hardy is starting to be seen as a 'rising star'.

True, although Nemesis could well enjoy a resurgence in interest after Hardy's stint in Batman! Because he's made Inception with Leonardo DiCaprio, Bronson and is now making movies with Gary Oldman, his role in Nemesis barely gets a mention - although I was gratified to see that Shinzon got a quick look-in during the video summarising Tom's achievements which led to his getting the "Best Newcomer" BAFTA this February.

I'm part of a small, but loyal, group of fans who have been following Hardy's career for around 9 years (some for longer after having seen him in HBO's Band of Brothers - his first ever role) and I think it's weird that some parts of the media regard him as a "newcomer". The truth is that Hardy's been acting on TV and in movies for more than a decade and it's astounding that he hasn't become better known before now. Mind you, he has been in some awful films and projects of questionable merit, but I guess he had to take what was going and I don't think his then agent made many great choices. I tended to think that he missed out on a few roles that were awarded to more bankable stars, and he was also held back for stupid reasons like having bad teeth (by Hollywood standards). His career has been characterised by a few near-misses and narrow squeaks which would have gotten him better known by now. He missed out on playing Mr Darcy opposite Keira Knightly (be still my quivering heart!) and other projects for which he was signed up which did not come to fruition. In the meantime he's done stage work and has also written at least one screenplay. Of course, he has had his issues - his love life, troubled teenage years, and the fact that he is a recovering addict have been well-documented - perhaps too well documented because it gets shoehorned into every interview he does. I'd rather concentrate on his acting - but there you are... Maybe it's as well that Nemesis sank quickly because some of his exploits in the days after he made that would have been the stuff of lurid tabloid headlines.

I think I'll have to check out "Bronson" to help me get psyched for "The Dark Knight Rises" before it comes out. It would be like how I watched "Equilibrium" and "American Psycho" to get pumped up for "Batman Begins" when I heard about Christian Bale being cast as Batman.

That would be such a good idea! Bronson is a strange mix of gritty drama and arthouse movie, but it's well worth a look. It's a movie that should have earned more plaudits than it did, but it was quite an indie film and also the subject matter - a "lifer" with a reputation for violence and mayhem. You'll certainly get an idea as to how Bane might be a different cup of tea to the Joker - but also how his Bane could equal Ledger's Joker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users