A Question for Batman fans!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:15 AM

Hi, I was just having a discussion about the Batman franchise on another forum. Can anyone tell me who actually controls the intellectual property? Is it DC Comics, and if so, can the allow writers to create their own villains instead of reusing the iconic ones such as Catwoman, The Joker, and The Riddler? I specifically refer to the movie franchise and how far producers can go in terms ofinventing new things for it.

Thanks

JulesX

#2 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

I'm not 100% sure but I think Time Warner actually owns DC Comics and the movie franchises unsure.gif As far as creating new characters, it's done every once in awhile in the comics. However when it comes to the movies, I think they try to coincide something they can tie into a storyline in the comics too.

#3 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Donster!

So I take it that the third movie in the current Batman Begins/Dark Knight series could contain a totally new villain if required?

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:02 PM

I doubt that will happen. There are just to many well known ones left. I'd bet next weeks paycheck that Cat Women is going to be in there. And, that is why a certain someone had to not make it out of the last movie, so Bat Man could have a new love interest.

#5 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:07 AM

Oh you could be right - but would Batman and Catwoman ever get it together? Have they ever done that in the past?

#6 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

There is a comic (short lived tv-show as well) called "Birds of Prey" where the lead female hero, Helena Kyle/Huntress, is the daughter of Batman and Catwoman, if I'm not mistaken. Here's what Wiki had to say about her (based on the TV show):

* Helena Kyle/Huntress - (Ashley Scott)

The daughter of Batman and Catwoman. She is half-metahuman, with cat-like abilities inherited from her mother (also a metahuman in the Birds of Prey continuity): enhanced agility, strength, healing and a sixth sense for danger, as well as the ability to shift her eyes to a feline form. This change is usually triggered by strong emotion, but can also be used to grant Helena enhanced night vision. She was raised by her mother, without ever knowing who her father was, until the night Catwoman was murdered in cold blood on the street, right in front of her. After this she was taken in by Barbara Gordon, who raised and trained her.

So, yes. smile.gif

#7 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

Correction...her lineage was altered for the series...she is NOT their daughter in the comics...again...according to the ever-so-accurate Wikipedia. wink.gif

#8 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

They can pretty much play with continuity if they want so, in theory, they could come up with a completely new villain. Although the Batman mythos is already ripe with a plethora of villains so, considering they can play with all the backgrounds/appearance/etc., they already have a wide palette to work with.

#9 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

Batman and Catwoman have made out in the past and do have a close relationship but never have they had a sustained relationship from what I can recall.

#10 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:37 PM

I'm really curious about what they're going to do for a female lead in the next Batman movie. I've always thought the Catwoman character wouldn't fit into the world established by the previous two films, but there aren't a lot of other options. I think that unless they invent a female character like Rachel or the women in the first four Batman movies, Batman's love life is going to be perpetually disastrous. The only other character from the comics I can think of possibly becoming his love interest is Talia, but she'd probably betray him at some point since she's Ra's Al Ghul's daughter.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:09 AM

For me, what works about the new movies, and was lacking in the old, was a real strong connection to his love interests. They really built the back story with Rachel. You felt the connection, and ultimately the loss to Bruce when she died.

In the original movies, all the love interests seemed like campy 1 night stands to me.

Talia is probably the best option as they can backfill her in. There's a connection in the comics and in the current movie... But to do it they are going to have to do some type of "flash backs" to Batman Begins.

#12 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:22 AM

Thanks guys for you insights!

I must say that I am very impressed by Nolan's Batman movies. I recently saw Batman Begins (after I saw The Dark Knight!) and enjoyed it very much, although I will say that I thought it was a bit front heavy with backstory.

The rumours seem to be flying around regarding the third movie. Apparently TOM HARDY is in talks - Nolan having been impressed by his performance in Inception.

biggrin.gif

#13 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

I think Johnny Depp as The Riddler.

#14 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

Everyone was sure The Riddler would be the next villain, but Nolan confirmed that he won't be. I've always thought of The Joker, The Penguin, and The Riddler as the top three Batman villains, but Nolan seems to think The Penguin and The Riddler are too ridiculous. It's hard to think of who he will choose instead. A lot of people are thinking Catwoman since he's apparently meeting a lot of actresses, but that could just be for a love interest.

All the speculation is a bit of a stretch so far. Some guess Clayface, because comic book love interest 'Julie Madson' might be used and she supposedly has a connection to him, and some are guessing Killer Croc because they're doing filming in Louisiana (although it's more likely they're just filming there because it's cheap). Others predict Black Mask or Deadshot because they're more grounded in reality, but I'd prefer someone more high profile, who I'd recognize from the Batman cartoons I watched as a kid. Black Mask is a comic character I don't know much about and don't find very interesting. I can imagine Clayface being cool if he's like T-1000.

#15 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

Clayface would be an interesting choice, especially when you consider how much CGI has progressed over the last couple of decades. He can assume any form lash out with clay weapons, and looks awesome as his natural monster self.

#16 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:18 PM

I would think Poison Ivy could work in the Nolanverse, she could be an assassin that is impossible to catch due to her extensive knowledge of lethal plants. She might be difficult to use as a main villain, though.

I REALLY want to see Bane at some point, but I doubt that'll happen.

#17 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:46 AM

If the rumours are true and Hardy signs up for this it'll be because Nolan is looking to replicate the success he had with Heath Ledger's Joker. Forget Clayface or the Penguin, the smart money is on The Riddler. Clayface would be too CGI for Nolan's gritty Batman, and the Penguin is just plain ...ridiculous. It could be a villain combo with Catwoman involved, and there hasn't been a decent Catwoman since Julie Newmar.

#18 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Nov 8 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I REALLY want to see Bane at some point, but I doubt that'll happen.

Wow, this thread is really out-of-date. Well, Jedigreedo called it...Bane is indeed in the film, to be played by Tom Hardy! I loved Tom Hardy's performance in "Star Trek: Nemesis", but I did not like his character. I thought his back story was too convoluted and his motivations were unconvincing. I'm sure Hardy will play a more impressive villain this time.

Bane is in some ways a rather ludicrous character, but I can imagine Nolan finding a way to make the character work in live action (after Joel Schumacher completely bungled the opportunity by turning him into a brainless, grunting thug). What I'm wondering is how he'll handle the whole gimmick of Bane's venom formula (if at all). I can't imagine a guy pumping up his body to grotesquely gigantic size with super vein-y muscles in a Christopher Nolan movie.

I figured Bane might be in the movie because he's one of the more realistic Batman villains, being a really muscular and tough assassin who is extremely intelligent and famous for hunting down and seriously injuring Batman in the comics. Also, there was apparently a poll where fans voted for which villains they most wanted to see in the sequel, and the top votes went to The Penguin, The Riddler (both of whom Nolan considers too wacky for his more realistic Batman world), Catwoman (who will be in the movie, or at least her alter ego Selina Kyle will be), and Bane.

So we now know Selina Kyle and Bane will be in the movie. Marion Coitillard and Joseph Gordon-Levitt ("Inception" reunion!) are also rumoured to join. Their roles are unknown, but I think it's a safe bet that Marion will be Talia. Thoughts on the latest developments?

#19 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

Yes, this thread is very out of date, although there is another more up-to-date thread in the Sci-fi news section of this forum where news of Tom Hardy being signed up by Nolan has been discussed. However, since this is about the most exciting comic-book movie news I've heard for around forever, I'll happily discuss this anywhere!

Yes, basically Nolan has said that he will be working with Hardy to bring his own interpretation of this Batvillain to the screen. If you can't imagine an actor bulking up to the size of a muscle-bound Bane for the big screen, then you haven't heard of how hard Hardy works to build his shape to quite alarming proportions to play beefy roles. You'll be seeing him a movie, Warrior this coming September playing a cage fighter and the best idea of how Bane might pan out is to grab yourself a copy of Bronson in which Hardy plays Charles Bronson, the self-confessed most violent prisoner in Britain. You'll be impressed because Hardy can play hard and scary.

Even in his resting phase - there is no way that Tommy could squeeze himself into that shiny Nemesis catsuit anymore. Nowadays, he's a pumped-up hunk covered in fascinating array of tattoos, and he often trades on his previous "bad boy" history. It looks like his casting has excited a few Batfans into making their own fake movie posters and putting them in the web. I think that's good news.

#20 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the response, Jules. I didn't know about the other thread...I'll post about the new Batman movie over there from now on. One thing about Hardy's casting that intrigues me is how it will likely lead to his role in "Star Trek: Nemesis" being one of the things he's LEAST remembered for! How many actors star as the villain in a Star Trek movie and that ends up only being a stepping stone to better roles rather than one of the roles they're best known for?

Shinzon was one of Hardy's first roles, but it already seems to be forgotten by many since the movie was not a hit. In his review of "Bronson", critic Roger Ebert identifies Hardy as a veteran of British gangster films. It is only now, after almost 10 years since "Star Trek: Nemesis" that Hardy is starting to be seen as a 'rising star'.

I think I'll have to check out "Bronson" to help me get psyched for "The Dark Knight Rises" before it comes out. It would be like how I watched "Equilibrium" and "American Psycho" to get pumped up for "Batman Begins" when I heard about Christian Bale being cast as Batman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users