Photo

Would anyone be interested in custom parts for DS9 customs?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Feb 27 2011, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be very interested!As for the characters you listed the only ones you have options for using a bigger scaled head is Garek (9"), Dukat (9"), and Quark (Ertl Model). Of those I think the Dukat and maybe the Quark looks significantly better. Im not really sold on either version of Garek.

Man, you weren't kidding about the 9" Dukat. Wow! Amazing sculpt! Can't wait to scale it down. The Quark model will hopefully be here soon, too.
Thanks for the recommendations!

#22 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

Alright... keep your fingers crossed.

Today I am beginning the initial molds for:

Quark
Garek
Dukat
Rom
Nog
Morn
Dr. Soren

I'll know in a few days what's gonna work, and if I should expand into other characters...

#23 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

Looking forward to the results!

#24 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:08 AM

Okay, got the parts molded... while these are being re-scaled, any suggestions on a good base figure for Gul Dukat?

And, just to clarify, was the Dukat figure that DST was supposed to release, was that a Gul or Legit Dukat? I'm not *that* familar with the intricacies of the uniforms, so any pointers would help (specifically in the boots/pants area, too!)

#25 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (Iron-Cow @ Mar 8 2011, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, got the parts molded... while these are being re-scaled, any suggestions on a good base figure for Gul Dukat?

And, just to clarify, was the Dukat figure that DST was supposed to release, was that a Gul or Legit Dukat? I'm not *that* familar with the intricacies of the uniforms, so any pointers would help (specifically in the boots/pants area, too!)

i am pretty sure it was Gul Dukat.

#26 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:12 AM

Yep it was a gul.

Just off the top of my head I'm thinking the Odo might be a good base, but that's just because its a great clean sculpt... I would thing the "basic Buck" used for Sisko (and many others) would serve well from a scale perspective.

#27 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

I know I definitely wanted to use Odo for my Rom custom, though removing a bit of the height. I'd need to compare their actual sizes, though (the actors, to see the real difference).

I gotta say, I'm very excited about this. Once I figure out the proper ratios I need to shrink Dukat at, I can apply it to any of the other 9" Playmates stuff. And, even though the 9" Garek likeness isn't all that hot, I might try shrinking that down to make parts available for a Cardassian foot soldier.

#28 Jesse

Jesse

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

Just now ready the post. I would be interested in the DS9 figures as well.

#29 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

Cool... I'm trying to put together a customizing "starter kit" for Quark and Dukat to start off with.

Quark might be a full "staction" figure... as in, every part needed to make a Quark, only with minimal articulation.

Dukat might just be the head and chest armor. Still trying to figure out if I can mold the rest of the outfit details effectively.

Still, it might be a good starting off point for customizers. I'll post pics soon. Still waiting for the parts to cure.

#30 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

Id love to take credit and it is a member with my same first name, but it wasnt me.

Heres that thread by Andy http://www.trektoy.c...?showtopic=2505

#31 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Mar 16 2011, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Id love to take credit and it is a member with my same first name, but it wasnt me.

Heres that thread by Andy http://www.trektoy.c...?showtopic=2505

Wow..i remember those amazing Kira and Kai Winn customs, but totally forgot about all the hydrospan discussion. Too funny. Y'all are SPOT ON about the Quark kit. Items almost scaled to the proper size and is looking amazing. Pics soon!

#32 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

Glad to have planted the seed guys! Hope it's working out Iron Cow -- can't wait to see pics!

#33 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

Thanks! Yeah, me too! =)

Okay, let me run this by y'all: right now I'm leaning towards asking $35-ish for the customizing "starter kits"'. With Dukat, that includes the head, neck, chest armor, the upper arms, and hopefully the sleeve and pant detailing, along with the boots. With Quark, it's probably the head, arms, legs, chest... the whole works.

Nothing would be painted... it'd be the pieces cast in white plastic. I've invested probably $500 in materials for a couple of these projects, and it's a cost-and-time-intensive process to resize all of these pieces accordingly.

That said, hopefully paying $35 for the parts would say my fellow customizers the time it would take to sculpt the parts themselves, and would help really bolster the shelves with some more DS9 characters.

Anyway, any thoughts either way?

#34 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:57 AM

will there be articulation at the joints of these or will it be a static figure?

#35 data_2006

data_2006

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Iron-Cow @ Mar 28 2011, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks! Yeah, me too! =)

Okay, let me run this by y'all: right now I'm leaning towards asking $35-ish for the customizing "starter kits"'. With Dukat, that includes the head, neck, chest armor, the upper arms, and hopefully the sleeve and pant detailing, along with the boots. With Quark, it's probably the head, arms, legs, chest... the whole works.

Nothing would be painted... it'd be the pieces cast in white plastic. I've invested probably $500 in materials for a couple of these projects, and it's a cost-and-time-intensive process to resize all of these pieces accordingly.

That said, hopefully paying $35 for the parts would say my fellow customizers the time it would take to sculpt the parts themselves, and would help really bolster the shelves with some more DS9 characters.

Anyway, any thoughts either way?

count me in, anything to get the DSN line to be as (near) complete as the Next Gen line and TOS line is greatly appreciated! but just out of curiosity will you also offer painted versions? (as my painting skills are not that good)

#36 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Mar 28 2011, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
will there be articulation at the joints of these or will it be a static figure?

I won't be adding in articulation on any of the parts, I don't think... It's something I'm looking into, but it's probably not practical for me.

That said, with the Quark piece, you should be able to have articulation at the head, shoulders, wrists and waist simply by drilling a hole and inserting a steel pin into the joints (I'll provide a how-to on this, or heck... I might do it myself).

Again, a LOT of this isn't meant to be a true "figure", but rather provide the parts to people who want to customize their own, and get them a headstart.

Let me see how the final pieces turn out and we'll go from there. Plus, it'll make more sense once I post pics of the completed pieces.

#37 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

Okay... here's the latest progress. I'm thinking Quark came out a smidge too small, so I want to reshrink the parts and see if I can get him a bit taller. I was having a similar issue with Gul Dukat's head (either too big or too small). Reshrinking him again, so hopefully I can get a perfect fit.

Morn still has a long way to go, but I figured he was fun enough to toss in as a sneak peak.

Anyway, enjoy! Let me know what you think so far...

Matt
aka Iron-Cow

#38 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:11 AM

really cool stuff there!

#39 data_2006

data_2006

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

woow really impressive!

#40 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

Thanks! Slowly making progress, but it'll hopefully be worth it in the end.

Still got Rom, Garak and a surprise or two in the works, so it should be a fun set once all is said and done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users