• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:39 AM

Anyone else see it last night? It was way better than I expected it to be, and I certainly enjoyed it more than The Last Jedi. I'm not sure if I'd say its equal or better than Rogue One for me. 

I think the person playing Han did a damn good job, and David Glover's Lando was excellent. 

Spoiler

#2 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

Oh thats positive... the online rags have been downplaying it do to all the filming, production, directing issues. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

#3 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

I really enjoyed it!  Donald was awesome as Lando.  All the cast was great.  The John Powell + John Williams music was spot on.  That thing you have in the spoiler tag was nice too.  I hope they do a sequel of this one.

#4 Loggy

Loggy

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:13 AM

I've seen it a couple of times now. I really enjoyed it, definitely agree with Alteran, I enjoyed this one much more than The Last Jedi. Despite that, I thought TLJ was probably more technically competent than Solo. The only thing that bothered me the tiniest bit was that every Han Solo trademark; his name, the gun, the dice, the Falcon, all came into his possession simultaneously. Naturally, that's all tied into brand recognition, but it seems like Han Solo was a nobody before the story, and after the events of the film, became a nobody until Episode 4. Great performances all round, Alden Ehrenreich did a great job making Han his own while referencing Harrison Ford, and Donald Glover brought swagger to Lando that no one else could.

I'd love to see a sequel. Though when Han and Chewie sat in the cockpit of the Falcon for the first time, I almost thought that was the perfect launch for a TV series.

#5 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

The only thing that bothered me the tiniest bit was that every Han Solo trademark; his name, the gun, the dice, the Falcon, all came into his possession simultaneously. 

Spoiler

I also hope for a sequel, whether it follows Han or not doesn't matter since I'd love to see what comes next for Qi-Ra. 

#6 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

I haven't been around much in a while but thought I would drop in to see what everyone as saying about Solo. I just saw it today and loved it. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect but it really impressed me. It was fun and just about everything I had hoped for. The acting by everyone was really good and I think Donald Glover stole the show as Lando. Hell he even sounded like Billy Dee. The spoiler Alteran mentioned was a complete surprise. That was awesome.

#7 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:14 PM

I liked it a lot. Not one of my favorites but good none the less

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Good to see you post JMW326! 

I'm behind... I just saw Deadpool 2, and that thoroughly met my expectations, Solo is next on my list, but all this seems like good news to me. 

I've been waiting for movies that explored the Star Wars Uni san-skywalkers since ROTJ.  I loved Rouge 1, and I suspect I'll like this too.

#9 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:28 AM

My family enjoyed it. Hopefully word of mouth will give it legs but there's a lot more competition out there. I still want to see Deadpool 2.

#10 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

There is a lot of hate and dissent directed towards Star Wars movies right now. People hate the social warrior justice element that seems to have become evident in these newer Star Wars movies, especially the Last Jedi.There is a revolt among a lot of fans that they say have led to lower than expected box office totals.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:20 AM

Well... it doesn't seem like anyone here has much of an issue with the movie. 

According to the-numbers.com, Solo is actually beating the expected Domestic box office curve... so if performance at the box office is any indicator,  I don't see any hate and dissent coming towards it...

I think Solo will do fine... seems like some will say any big new release that doesn't get close to 200 mil is a failure, but that isnt true with all of these... Solo may be at the south end of what they hoped for, but its still trending better than the average.

Hopefully word of mouth will give it legs but there's a lot more competition out there. I still want to see Deadpool 2.

I laughed my but off at DP2..  not as good as the 1st, that one captured lightning in a bottle, but I thought it was still very enjoyable

#12 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:20 AM

As with Star Trek, there's a loud, somewhat distracting minority of "fans" who either suddenly realized what they've been enjoying all this time embraced social justice (not a new concept to either franchise) or they're just trolls making noise. Most detractors I've encountered so far haven't even seen the movie, they're just reacting to reviews.

Yesterday I checked the numbers against other Memorial Day openings and Solo is Disney's #2 biggest opener behind Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. General word of mouth – even from haters of The Last Jedi – is that Solo is a surprisingly fun flick well worth the price of the ticket. If it doesn't turn a profit at the box office, it'll be because of the costs incurred when they had to reshoot 85% of the film after they fired the first two directors and hired Ron Howard.

As an exercise in last minute damage control, Howard did an amazing job.

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

As an exercise in last minute damage control, Howard did an amazing job.

yes... this is the consensus... I've seen some of the interviews Howard has done to promote Solo and he's just such a first class guy I wanna see it just to see what he did with it!

#14 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:39 PM

I liked it. I think for whatever reason the critics decided to gang up on it, like they did on John Carter. They see a "tortured development" and assume "winging it". In turn they then assume "crap". And they will armchair philosophize (and yes I'm talking about both the professional critics BSing and the at-home neckbeards BSing) whatever necessary to convince themselves that assumption was right. Meanwhile they forget that even in productions that weren't "tortured" there is often still a large amount of winging it going on. But dare not let the world know, or the critics will call your motives into question using every artistic mumbo-jumbery in the book (meanwhile if they think you planned it all out from Day 1 they will use the same mumbo-jumbery to applaud things the creators did by accident).

At the end of the day its a fun, entertaining two hours with some twists and a lot of good Han moments. For example Han will now always have shot first! (Non-spoiler)

Could have been a bit better but not deserving of the titanic iceberg crash critics seem to be concertedly trying to shove in its path...

#15 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

Yeah, it was a solid effort. The actors inhabited their roles well, Lando just about stole the show, and the rest of the cast was well chosen as well.

The main issue, a recurring one in all the latest Star Wars and Star Trek films, is the insane pacing (for the Adderall generation) compared to the original trilogy. Then people complain that these movies feel different and that they don't have enough time to take in the actors and the scenery. Well, when every second is either filled with dialogue or stuff exploding, it's hard to appreciate the sights and the feel of the universe. It's like watching an older Star Wars film on VHS set to fast forward.

Another thing is that (and hardly anyone ever points this out) is that the recent Star Wars films are not that rewatchable. The original trilogy could be watched again and again, just to hang out with the characters, but the latest films don't quite have that quality. They're too frenetic, too explody. I didn't see The Last Jedi a second time (and don't want to), but I watch ESB and ROTJ like 10 times a year each.

#16 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, it was a solid effort. The actors inhabited their roles well, Lando just about stole the show, and the rest of the cast was well chosen as well.

The main issue, a recurring one in all the latest Star Wars and Star Trek films, is the insane pacing (for the Adderall generation) compared to the original trilogy. Then people complain that these movies feel different and that they don't have enough time to take in the actors and the scenery. Well, when every second is either filled with dialogue or stuff exploding, it's hard to appreciate the sights and the feel of the universe. It's like watching an older Star Wars film on VHS set to fast forward.

Another thing is that (and hardly anyone ever points this out) is that the recent Star Wars films are not that rewatchable. The original trilogy could be watched again and again, just to hang out with the characters, but the latest films don't quite have that quality. They're too frenetic, too explody. I didn't see The Last Jedi a second time (and don't want to), but I watch ESB and ROTJ like 10 times a year each.

I agree!

#17 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:15 PM

I liked it. I think for whatever reason the critics decided to gang up on it, like they did on John Carter. 

At the end of the day its a fun, entertaining two hours with some twists and a lot of good Han moments. For example Han will now always have shot first! (Non-spoiler)

Could have been a bit better but not deserving of the titanic iceberg crash critics seem to be concertedly trying to shove in its path...

I had issues with John Carter because, as a huge fan of the original books, I felt they just missed the mark about what that story was about.

But, Just seeing Solo, I agree with your summary, this is a solid fun romp. Its not going to win any awards, and its not the best effort out there, but if you like Star Wars, It was, as you said a fun and entertaining couple of hours. It fully met my expectations of a 60% meta critic score. 

#18 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:07 AM

After this weekend's box office, Disney would be wise to put a LOT more space (no pun intended) between films. This season is typically crowded with tentpoles so there's much more competition. However, there's a lot to be said for pent-up demand, which is what previous films had much more of.

Give it a rest after Episode IX. Concentrate on Indiana Jones and the The Grand Apology or Even More American Graffiti or Willow 2: Elora's Return. Anything but Star Wars for five to ten years.

#19 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:25 AM

@Morgan,

I agree with you, I used to love (and still would, just don't have time for it as often) just putting on the Trek movies and absorbing the atmosphere and "hanging out" with the crew as you say.  When the crew personalities are reduced to cinematic shorthand in service of advancing frenetic, contrived plotting and action set pieces I really don't have time for that, nor do I see much point in it.

Still, I think I could watch at least parts of TLJ over and over.  The Luke parts basically.  I didn't really have a problem with the whole DJ / Canto Bight storyline stuff in the theater....but if I rewatched the film as many times as I've watched ESB I think I would get tired of all that after the 2nd or 3rd time and wish they'd left it out...  ANH drags for me sometimes, wish it were a *little* faster...

@Gothneo

I didn't have that problem because I am ignorant of the books.  John Carter surprised me with how fun and Star Warsy it was.  Perhaps that's something I should be criticizing, though...  Because the "make it like Star Wars" safety net seems to be getting a bit long in the tooth.

@MisterPL

Lol, "grand apology"...

Indiana Jones and the Shark Jumping Fridge Nazis?

#20 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:17 AM

Yes, if you didn't know the original material, there was nothing wrong with John Carter... and it had a Star Wars feel because, sci-fantasy and sci-fiction had been ripping off Burroughs for years! that probably One of the reasons it may not have clicked with audiences is that in some manner they had seen aspects of that storyline one way or another. But what Burroughs did was create a whole new genre called "Interplanetary romance"... and I guess my analysis might be that they decided they needed to make Dejah Thoris... princess of mars, a scientist and scholar... and they subdued much of the romance... it was the central theme spanning a dozen books!

And that kinda brings us back to Solo... the idea of a romance spanning worlds... that Han had... seems like a nice tribute to Burroughs... inspired by the John Carter saga. Which is just fine, but if I have any Critiques of Solo, it would probably be that while a nice fun distraction... i'm not so sure its memorable... I can't really think of any quotable bits, and I can see the criticism for some of the acting... when put up opposite Bettany, Ehenriech's performance was a bit lackluster... but Bettany is a pretty seasoned pro.  As for any "Social Justice" aspects... I guess I just don't care as long as the plot works... and over all... I thought the plot did work. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users