Photo

The Future of the Diamond Select Star Trek line

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

Poll: Expanding DST's Star Trek licence (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want to see DST get a licence to cover both the JJ Abrams movies and the new 2017 TV series?

1. Yes absolutely I'd love to see DST produce product for both as well as the older shows and films! (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

2. No, some other toy company needs to take on Trek. (11 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Yes but just product based on the JJ Abrams movies as well as their already established TOS - ENT era product (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes but just product based on the new TV series as well as their already established TOS - ENT line (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

5. No but continue with the TOS - ENT era of the Star Trek franchise. (7 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Shinzon

Shinzon

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

it continues to amaze me after years of this there still is not a defiant, voyager, or ds9.

#102 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:00 PM

Don't know why I bothered looking at the latest Ask DST.  They could save everyone time and just issue a monthly post that says: no Enterprise C, Defiant, Voyager, no new robust figure lines, and the answer to any other question is never say never.  :)

#103 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:47 PM

I've said it before.

Instead of the AskDSTs, I'd love a development blog every couple months that shows the progression of a product.

Take Reliant for example.

What's changed since they showed the first pictures? Surely something has, whether it be sculpt changes or they've started working on the paint apps. I'd love before and after shots, or teases of what's been come up with paint wise.

That'd be far more exciting for me since the AskDSTs are the same thing over and over again.

#104 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

In an ideal world I'd like DST to have the licence to do old and new Star Trek from whatever series or movie out there: TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VGR, ENT, DSC, TMP, WOK, SFS, TVH, TFF, TUC, GEN, STFC, INS, NEM or ST09, STID, STB.

Fixed that for you. ;)

arex_mress.jpg

#105 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

I had commented on DSTs Facebook page regarding NY comi con. Nothing was said about Reliant so I asked "I guess no Reliant"? Another guy chimed in on that they have all these Ghosbuters figures and nothing Trek wise really coming out. This was the response. We've released dozens upon dozens of figures for Trek over the past decade or so. Soft orders in the past had led to some cancellations, so we were not about to attempt a massive diorama that may not make it to completion. But most of our Select action figures come with large diorama pieces. And this year we have brought out two new PVC statues, of Troi and Borg Queen, plus brought back two long out-of-stock items, the Retro playset and the NX-01. Lots of work being done, but sorry you are not happy. I thought I'd leave this here for discussion.

#106 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:55 PM

Meh,

Seems like Zach is still doing a fantastic job talking to potential customers.

DST have screwed themselves with this line. Ok it's 10 years old but there have been plenty of times for them to reinvent it, revitalise it and they've instead, squandered their chances by delaying product, not advertising product and ultimately being pretty dismissive of the line and it's fans.

I've trashed all of my DST product bar the Enterprise D since it's the biggest D I could afford.

As soon as someone else comes out with a version of that ship that's just as big, then that too will be chucked.

DST are done.

#107 trekhunter1701

trekhunter1701

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

I had commented on DSTs Facebook page regarding NY comi con. Nothing was said about Reliant so I asked "I guess no Reliant"? Another guy chimed in on that they have all these Ghosbuters figures and nothing Trek wise really coming out. This was the response. We've released dozens upon dozens of figures for Trek over the past decade or so. Soft orders in the past had led to some cancellations, so we were not about to attempt a massive diorama that may not make it to completion. But most of our Select action figures come with large diorama pieces. And this year we have brought out two new PVC statues, of Troi and Borg Queen, plus brought back two long out-of-stock items, the Retro playset and the NX-01. Lots of work being done, but sorry you are not happy. I thought I'd leave this here for discussion.

I'm the other guy that chimed in. I knew what kind of BS answer they were going to give again. The PVC figures are horrible and bringing out already released items doesn't count as new product. Giving those a chance to get items they don't have is great but the rest of us would love to see new stuff already. The ghostbusters diarama is cool but I guess I didn't understand the consumer demand for it. Just if they could have done that with the TOS bridge. Oh well we will never see anything like that.

#108 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

You just threw your DST stuff away? That seems... extreme. I get not buying anymore new stuff, but why throw away the old stuff? DST isn't going to care, they already got your money.

As for no new Trek stuff.

I've stopped getting excited for DST stuff at the big shows, I care far more about seeing what QMx and Eaglemoss have to offer.

Really hoping for an announcement from EM about doing the new A, and maybe seeing the mini masters Franklin from QMx. Maybe even pricing info on the big one the showed.

Moebius could be interesting too if they're there.

#109 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:03 AM

I am still filling in my DST collection. Started buying them again. I still have a line to collect amd back stuff to find as well. I am happy at the releases overall. I would like them in more frequency but they are still cranking them out.

I would hate for them to lose it, only to have a new line pick it up and start from scratch and release another Kirk and Spock and start the whole cycle over. We are getting to the Good stuff now I would hate for them to lose it. Reliant and we KNOW a Defiant and an Enterprise C are right around the corner here soon. They are making the cool stuff now.

#110 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:33 AM

I would hate for them to lose it, only to have a new line pick it up and start from scratch and release another Kirk and Spock and start the whole cycle over. We are getting to the Good stuff now I would hate for them to lose it. Reliant and we KNOW a Defiant and an Enterprise C are right around the corner here soon. They are making the cool stuff now. 

Im not someone who collects figures anyway only electronic ships.  Now we've got the BOP coming out soon and the Reliant around the corner.  If they take it slow fine by me.

we KNOW a Defiant and an Enterprise C are right around the corner here soon. 

Has that been confirmed?

#111 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:48 AM

You just threw your DST stuff away? That seems... extreme. I get not buying anymore new stuff, but why throw away the old stuff? DST isn't going to care, they already got your money.

As for no new Trek stuff.

I've stopped getting excited for DST stuff at the big shows, I care far more about seeing what QMx and Eaglemoss have to offer.

Really hoping for an announcement from EM about doing the new A, and maybe seeing the mini masters Franklin from QMx. Maybe even pricing info on the big one the showed.

Moebius could be interesting too if they're there.

Ha when I say trashed it, I mean i gave up on their stuff and gave it to charity.

DST's line is dead.

If what they are saying is true, that sales are soft and no retailer is interested in buying from DST, then it means that no one is interested in their line and really that their line is pretty much dead and their just waiting for it to be put out of its misery.

Even on this small niche Star Trek fan forum, in a small space of time we've seen this being one of the more active parts of the forum to becoming very quiet and very inactive. If DST can't keep our interest in their product going, then what chance do they have of keeping people who don't show an active interest in what they do interested in their stuff. They're useless, utterly utterly useless. They have shown no imagination, no creativity, and they sit at the bottom of the pile when it comes to companies of their type. NECA, Mexico... I mean MEZCO, Funko, DC Collectables... The list goes on until you reach Diamond at the bottom of the barrel, releasing product with varying degrees of quality, from licences that no one else would touch (X-Files, Ghostbusters), with delays in releasing what they do eventually get out to customers and retailers, with attitudes from their marketing team that stink and they blindly fob fans off with excuses to do with poorly managed factories, it's the age of the line, not the fact that DST screwed it up leaving retailers and fans disinterested in their stuff... nah, I'm sorry but it's a joke. I'm not the only one who thinks this either, I spoke to the guys at Forbidden Planet in the UK and by far and away the worse company to deal with is Diamond Distribution. They just can't seem to get a good flow going and it puts retailers off from stocking their product.

Star Trek would do better without DST, even if that meant that no other company would take its place releasing figures ships and role play.

I think the fact that CBS/Paramount didn't go for DST to do at least some product for Star Trek Beyond or the previous movies says all we need to know really. They have no confidence in DSTs ability to hit release dates, and no confidence in DST as a company.

Sure they wanted a mass market toy company to take on the license but to not even give DST a licence to produce collectables aimed at an older, established fan, is a bit strange.

For Star Trek Beyond especially since there was no mass market toy company to take it on, you'd have thought CBS would have agreed to let DST do at least a couple of select figures and a ship...

And then there's Discovery. Even though the release has been pushed back until May... A toy company has surely been approached to do the toys. DST doesn't seem to be gunning for that show either by increasing their Star Trek lines profile.

No, the line is dead, it's just waiting for that product that completely bombs for them to stop production.

I'm hoping that someone else will take on Discovery and from there release product from TOS and TNG at least.

#112 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

QMx aren't usually at NYCC. Was kinda hoping to meet up with'em again after the great talks I had with'em at Comic-Con. Still gonna check the exhibitor list again though,even if they weren't on it last time I checked things have this habit of changing,lol!

EM are there though,so hope to have a chat with Ben.

And of course,DST are there so it'll be fun to pop by there again,lol!

J-R!

#113 trekhunter1701

trekhunter1701

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:48 PM

I'm finally sick of the BS answers from DST so I gave them my 2 cents for what it's worth on Facebook. I'm sure they'll come up with more crap to shoot my opinion down.

#114 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:21 AM

DST's line is dead. 

Yeah its so thats why we have 2 new ships coming out.  Drama queen much?

Star Trek would do better without DST, even if that meant that no other company would take its place releasing figures ships and role play.

Uh huh sure.

#115 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:51 PM

Yeah its so thats why we have 2 new ships coming out.  Drama queen much?

The Romulan Bird of Prey and a foam board computer rendering of the Reliant?

I mean, I don't know about you but that sounds like an amazing line up of product, clearly produced to entice people to buy!

Uh huh sure.

Star Trek: Discovery is coming out, and with it a large merchandising campaign. This is likely to lead onto more companies being interested in making Star Trek product.

DST are running out of ideas and product to release unless they get the license to Discovery and the Abrams movies. So far CBS don't seem interested = DST's Star Trek line dead and buried.

#116 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

I'm just going to throw this out there.

Why is it assumed there will be a big merchandise push with Discovery? The big playmates lines existed in the 90s, well after TNG had aired.

There is no reason for DST, or any company, to be talking about Discovery merchandise at this point since there is no way of knowing how popular the series will even be, and if a big merchandise push is worth the investment.

#117 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:06 PM

DST are running out of ideas and product to release unless they get the license to Discovery and the Abrams movies. So far CBS don't seem interested = DST's Star Trek line dead and buried. 

We dont have any clue whats going on with DSC at this point.  I always assumed DSC was already part of DST's current license if I remember thats what DSt said a long time ago.  Hell Discovery's design still isn't finalized last i checked.  So once again enough with the drama.

The Romulan Bird of Prey and a foam board computer rendering of the Reliant?

I mean, I don't know about you but that sounds like an amazing line up of product, clearly produced to entice people to buy!

There's quite a few people here who have shown interest in the BOP. Hell I thought I'd skip it at first but now Im excited.  

#118 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:02 PM

The Romulan BoP went from meh to very interesting to me, and I cant wait to get it. 

The fact that they even showed the Reliant in its current stage of development shocked me, and it was a step in the right direction. I just wish they had kept up with it and gave us a progress update at the last CC, or NYCC.

I love DST's products, and while I don't necessarily like the length of time it takes for them to release stuff, I'm usually very happy with what's released.

All I've ever wanted from them is better communication about their product development, like a blog every month or couple months showing the progression. I'd love that instead of the worthless AskDST's.  

#119 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:41 PM

All I've ever wanted from them is better communication about their product development, like a blog every month or couple months showing the progression. I'd love that instead of the worthless AskDST's.  

I'd be for that.

#120 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:01 PM

1701, DSTs Star Trek line is far from dead, they have been actively producing products for years now. Not nearly as much as we collectors would like, but they have still been doing it.

You seem to think that Star Trek is some big merchandise power house that sells super well, which it isn't. It probably will never get back to the level it was in the 90s when there were multiple TV shows on, and movies coming out all the time.

Star Trek had a big merchandise push when the 2009 move came out. Stuff was advertised everywhere, there were commercials, fast food promotions, a ton of stuff, and it all ultimately failed.

Trek doesn't sell nearly as well as some of the other franchises DST makes stuff for, so they aren't going to invest nearly as much money. It's business.

Star Trek isn't Star Wars, it isn't DC or Marvel, and it never will be. No matter how badly we want it to be.

As I said before, there probably won't be a big merchandise push with Discovery because the last one failed. Maybe a while after the series establishes itself we'll start getting stuff, but I really doubt it'll be when it first airs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users