• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#41 gkap

gkap

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

I just got back from seeing the movie and it was wonderful. No specific spoilers. It is star trek. Yeah stuff looks different and some things change but nothing that destroys it. It had emotion and action. Everything it should be. I will see it again and alot of people in the theatre said the same. So how do others feel?

#42 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:24 PM

I just saw it. I really thoroughly enjoyed the film, however I was not happy with what made it enjoyable to me. To me it just didn't feel like Star Trek but it had some great moments here and there that really reminded me of Star Trek. I found that I was watching the movie waiting for the next sound or prop that reminded me of TOS. Each of the actors seemed to have a few moments where they really captured the feel of the original actors. The story was ok nothing really special a typical revenge movie, but thats what made TWOK great.

#43 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (s8film40 @ May 7 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just saw it. I really thoroughly enjoyed the film, however I was not happy with what made it enjoyable to me. To me it just didn't feel like Star Trek but it had some great moments here and there that really reminded me of Star Trek. I found that I was watching the movie waiting for the next sound or prop that reminded me of TOS. Each of the actors seemed to have a few moments where they really captured the feel of the original actors. The story was ok nothing really special a typical revenge movie, but thats what made TWOK great.

That was pretty much how i felt about the movie. I came away from the movie glad that Star Trek is still around and will probably attract some new fans and give us long time fans a chance to get some new collectibles and toys based on the old series, but i was also sad. Sad because the theater i went to for the first showing of the movie was at least half empty. Also sad that the TOS that i knew and loved can only be found on DVD,blueray and VHS, but never in the theater again.

#44 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ May 7 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was pretty much how i felt about the movie. I came away from the movie glad that Star Trek is still around and will probably attract some new fans and give us long time fans a chance to get some new collectibles and toys based on the old series, but i was also sad. Sad because the theater i went to for the first showing of the movie was at least half empty. Also sad that the TOS that i knew and loved can only be found on DVD,blueray and VHS, but never in the theater again.

Yeah it is a little sad, I think having Leonard Nimoy in it kind of helped it was like the franchises way of saying bye to the old Trek universe. My theater was also very empty less than 1/4 full, I figured this was due to it being shown on five screens at the first showing. I did expect a bigger turnout though.

#45 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

For monthes I have been telling myself I wouldn't see it, then I thought what the hell. So I just came back from it. Opinions vary of course, but I can only say I didn't like it. But not as bad of course as the upcoming "Land of the Lost" I saw a preview for. I'm going to leave it at that. And lets remember the fine cast that brought us up to this point!!

#46 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:29 PM

The more I think about it and the more it sinks in on certain levels I really dislike the movie. It has a huge flaw in the story, it has no resolution to the major conflict in the story. Really it's very much the same as First Contact an alien travels back in time to destroy a planet and alter history, the only difference is in this movie the alien enemy succeeds and nothing is done to fix the situation. The story never really has a proper ending, it's just something bad happens and well that's it. I really hate to be one of those nitpicking Star Trek fans but as fun as the movie is to watch it just doesn't sit well with me.

#47 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (s8film40 @ May 8 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The more I think about it and the more it sinks in on certain levels I really dislike the movie. It has a huge flaw in the story, it has no resolution to the major conflict in the story. Really it's very much the same as First Contact an alien travels back in time to destroy a planet and alter history, the only difference is in this movie the alien enemy succeeds and nothing is done to fix the situation. The story never really has a proper ending, it's just something bad happens and well that's it. I really hate to be one of those nitpicking Star Trek fans but as fun as the movie is to watch it just doesn't sit well with me.

On all of the Star Trek series and movies before, there would have been a resolution at the end putting things back into the right place, at least for the most part. There was so much to pack into this movie, introductions to the charaters, back story and all, that there was not proper time to focus on the plot of the story of Nero and his crew, what was going on in his time and all. I know people will nitpick this movie to death and i dont want to do that. I want to like this movie, but my intial feelings toward a movie are usually stay with me and rarely change. For a "Reboot" i say this is an okay movie, much closer to the feel of the original than Battlestar Galactica's reboot, but that still doesnt make it "My Star Trek" that i grew up with and love.

#48 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:37 AM

I don't think it was ever going to be the Star Trek that people grew up with. JJ Abrhams even came out in an Australian TV Interview and told "Purists" to stay home because they weren't gonna like it. I can see why he said that. There is a lot about this movie that doesn't fit in with what we know. And I, like many, was a little saddened that they didnt correct the damage done to the timeline by the various time travellers.

But by not doing that they've left the story wide open! Anything can happen in this universe now. The canon, as we knew it, is gone!

The way I'm looking at it is that TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and the movies are all still relevant, but that Future Spock (which I'm assuming is from a post Nemesis point) and Nero have gone back in time, changed everything that we knew, and it's now starting all over again with a new universe with which to launch Star Trek from. This can only be a good thing for the franchise.

I do find it funny, however, that Enterprise is the only thing that will have remained unchanged and as we know it. Considerring that by many (but not by me) it was the worst of the spin-offs, it's kinda ironic.

Never being a big TOS fan I really enjoyed the movie. It will hopefully do what we all want it to do and make Star Trek popular again. If so then who knows what'll come next.

Up till now I only owned TNG 1-7, DS9 1-7, VOY 1-7 and ENT 1-4 plus the 10 movies. The movie did make me go out and buy TOS Season 1 on DVD. I hope it has that effect with more people.

#49 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:04 AM

Some good reviews,
http://movies.msn.co...trek/?gt1=28144

#50 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:49 AM

I saw it last night. I have to say that it took me a few minutes to adjust but then, it was great!! Two thumbs up!!

#51 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (DS9_Fan @ May 8 2009, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Up till now I only owned TNG 1-7, DS9 1-7, VOY 1-7 and ENT 1-7 plus the 10 movies.

I wouldnt mind watching the Enterprise seasons 5,6, and 7 that you say you own. laugh.gif

#52 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

Saw it last night on the IMAX and then again on the regular screen today. It was incredible. ONe of the most visualy stimulating movies I have every seen . The actors did a great job at paying tribute tot he characters while making them thier own.

#53 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

I saw it and I loved it!!!!!!!!! spock2.gif

#54 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Sybeck1 @ May 8 2009, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For monthes I have been telling myself I wouldn't see it, then I thought what the hell. So I just came back from it. Opinions vary of course, but I can only say I didn't like it. But not as bad of course as the upcoming "Land of the Lost" I saw a preview for. I'm going to leave it at that. And lets remember the fine cast that brought us up to this point!!

Exactly. I'm going to bittorent this thing so that I can see Nimoy one final time as Spock and deal with all of the nostalgia that will bring about. But there is no way I'm giving Abrams my money and sitting in a theater to watch it.

#55 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:10 PM

I agree that too much was put into this thing but in the ned it was a good film. It successfully brought in new trek fans while reinvigorating some of the old ones. I have students that hated star trek lining up to see it at midnight...ive yet to hear a bad word from them and I really think thats who this franchise is targeting. I say bring on the klingons!!

#56 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:20 PM

I think people need to open their minds to the fact that things can happen differently, yet still capture what made Star Trek so good. If people are refusing to see this because things get changed and reworked in ways, the plot fits perfectly to make it all work, and the characters are in many ways the ones we grew up with. Give this movie a chance. I saw it in a packed IMAX theater with the range of the audience going from people in their 80s down to teenagers. When the end credits rolled, the entire audience rose to their feet and applauded for nearly 10 minutes (I'm not exaggerating). The last time I ever experienced a moment like that was when I saw Star Trek 6 in the theater as a teenager. spock2.gif

#57 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:10 AM

While I know its unlikely to happen, who's to say that by the end of the 3rd movie (assuming the 2nd one does well enough to spawn a 3rd) the ST timeline that we know isn't restored?

While it would defeat the purpose of the 'reboot', I think there could be some potential in seeing Nimoy-Spock trying to restore the timeline he knew at the expense of Quinto-Spock's timeline. (That would of course depend on Nimoy still being alive if a 3rd movie were to be made).

#58 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (Will Riker @ May 9 2009, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I know its unlikely to happen, who's to say that by the end of the 3rd movie (assuming the 2nd one does well enough to spawn a 3rd) the ST timeline that we know isn't restored?

While it would defeat the purpose of the 'reboot', I think there could be some potential in seeing Nimoy-Spock trying to restore the timeline he knew at the expense of Quinto-Spock's timeline. (That would of course depend on Nimoy still being alive if a 3rd movie were to be made).

Quantum Mechanics, which the movie's plot is based on, seems to suggest that the universe has a "self correcting" mechanism built into it, that over time, will cause it to put the overall course of events back on track, even if sudden changes are introduced. So it it is possable that we may see something like that in the sequels that are sure to follow.

#59 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE (Will Riker @ May 9 2009, 01:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there is any timeline that needs to be corrected. I think Spock as actually thrown into an alternate universe, not the past of the universe he originally came from. There are discrepancies in the Kelvin era that can't be explained by Nero's trip back in time as they occured before he came out of the black hole. I also think, in this alternate universe, that the events we saw unfolded as they were meant to in this different timeline. That would also explain why temporal authorities didn't try and interfere with the events in the movie.

#60 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ May 9 2009, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think there is any timeline that needs to be corrected. I think Spock as actually thrown into an alternate universe, not the past of the universe he originally came from. There are discrepancies in the Kelvin era that can't be explained by Nero's trip back in time as they occured before he came out of the black hole. I also think, in this alternate universe, that the events we saw unfolded as they were meant to in this different timeline. That would also explain why temporal authorities didn't try and interfere with the events in the movie.

Thats a good point as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users