• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 11:49 AM

Finally! It's the concept that just. wouldn't. die!

Not sure if this is a vehicle for Tilly in the 32nd century or if it'll be set in yet another era (or alternate universe) but they've certainly had enough time to refine it.

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 12:10 PM

No way this isn't going to be a Tilly show, she seems to be a really well liked character. I'd be surprised if it wasn't centered around her. 

#3 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 02:53 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about this being a Tilly show. On one hand it could work fine, on the other three DSC spin–offs and at least as of now, no Picard spinoff, (still hoping for a Star Trek: Stargazer announcement at some point,) feels like it's exactly what Kurtzman said he wanted to avoid in terms of the shows being too similar. My guess is that Section 31 is going to replace Picard, and that's why it's getting attention again, while Starfleet Academy may ultimately replace DSC by the time it's ready. Remember, we're going into DSC S5, assuming that this show takes as long as usual to run through preproduction, I wouldn't expect to see it for at least another year or two, and by that point DSC would have at least S5 and S6 under its belt, and possibly S7 as well. Unless DSC is going to try for an unheard of S8, this is the time for its replacement to be underway.

Also, do we know that this is a live action series? I could easily see it being a replacement for Prodigy if it runs 2-3 seasons like many kids shows, or for LD depending on how long that show is expected to run.

My only concern with this being a Tilly show is that you'll have a series headed by Yeoh (S31) another headed by Mount (SNW) and one headed by Wiseman, all of whom were pretty significant on DSC, and with the exception of SNW, it sounds like you'd have two more shows with the same type of pacing and writing as DSC, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

#4 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 10:40 AM

I'm not crazy about spinoffs myself with one exception; DS9. That was the one Trek that needed to be a spinoff. Everything else, from TNG and VOY to ENT and beyond, should be taking place aboard the USS Enterprise.

That said, I'm enjoying the other shows that take place on other ships. I haven't been this spoiled since there were two new Trek series running concurrently with the films. There seems to be plenty of content, to the point that it's even overlapping. Sometimes I have to check the stardate to understand why a crew doesn't just Black Alert anywhere they need to but otherwise it's been fun.

If Tilly ends up being the main character, a schoolmarm in space to a new generation of cadets, I'll give it a chance. And my daughter loves Tilly. 

#5 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 12:51 AM

I'm not crazy about spinoffs myself with one exception; DS9. That was the one Trek that needed to be a spinoff. Everything else, from TNG and VOY to ENT and beyond, should be taking place aboard the USS Enterprise.

Oh see, I'm totally fine with the show not being set on the Enterprise per se; that was actually part of the problem with ENT in my book, and one of the things that VGR got completely right, (another ship, a mix of TOS and TNG's tone, but not the Enterprise,) but then I don't consider VGR or DS9 to really be spin–off series in the traditional sense either. They don't follow TNG characters, (yes, O'brien and later Worf showed up on DS9, but it wasn't the Ro Laren–focused show they initially conceived of before contract disputes lead to Ro being replaced with Kira by the time they got to casting,) and in the case of VGR, when TNG characters show up, they're typically recurring guest characters and no one significant from the main cast. (Barclay being the most notable example of a minor character having a role on both shows that didn't affect the plot on a weekly basis, and Q being the other recurring guest character with the same role.) Also, TNG and VGR didn't overlap at all, so it wasn't like we were focusing on the TNG cast more than we needed to by having "the Riker show" and "the Worf show" airing right after TNG concluded. Granted, "the Riker show" would have been fun, and LD seems to have dabbled in that a little bit, and if Michael Dorn gets his way we may finally get "the Worf Chronicles," which I would watch for the same reason I wanted to see the "Sulu on the Excelsior" show that never got picked up, which is that enough time had passed for the concept to be worth pursuing since we last saw the character. The problem with another DSC spinoff is that we already have SNW, which thankfully looks like its learned how to do traditional Trek, (I had my worries at first, but I like where this is headed,) we have S31, which is supposedly going to be more grimdark DSC style storytelling (blech,) and to make Starfleet Academy another series based on DSC seems like a waste of a concept and of other shows that we could get. Plus it would continue the problem DSC created with S3, which is that the more you mess around in the 32nd century, the more you paint yourself and future writers into a corner for anything set before that era on current and future shows. Eventually you get stuck either having to hit the reset button and tuck DSC S3 onwards into an alternate timeline of some sort, or botch hundreds of years where you could be telling better Trek stories. This has been a consistent issue with DSC's writers room not thinking through what they're doing, or how it affects Trek as a whole, and the sooner they get out of that portion of the timeline the better.

Actually, Terry Matalas (showrunner for Picard Season 3 and co–showrunner for the first part of season 2) has been strongly hinting that he wants to do a Picard spin–off featuring Raffi and Seven of Nine, and has been encouraging people to Tweet their support of the idea to Paramount to show interest. (Yes, Twitter is apparently now how we do what used to involve letter writing campaigns, and Paramount is watching the interest in this idea.) The more I thought about it, the more I realized that whether or not they know it, they basically have their Starfleet Academy series right here. Point being made in spoiler tags for obvious reasons.

Spoiler
As much as I want a show on an Enterprise–G or Voyager–A in the 25th Century, for it to be the show that I really want to see I'd probably have to wait for SNW to end, so this would be the next best thing, at least for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users