23 replies to this topic

#1 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

Well, we have a topic on peoples favourite figure, why not peoples least favorite figure?

My two main ones, that I am sick to death of seeing everywhere are:

Dr Soong

Mordok

Every damn eBay auction has one, its like I'm going mad seeing Dr Soong's and Mordok's everywhere! And there not even cheap!

#2 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

Riker in uniform (season 2 and season 3-7) must be one of the worst. And the Nog figurine was terrible. He would've deserved a real figure.

#3 razorbeast

razorbeast

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Haha interesting topic. I actually like the Mordok figure but they are indeed everywhere. I would agree on season 2 Riker. I hate how playmates just lazily repainted the majority of his previous battle damaged figure. Lwaxanna Troi looked nothing like Majel Barret. I like the Tasha Yar figure but her head sculpt is awful.

#4 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

I feel like Riker from Frame of Mind, everywhere I go, their there! I 100% agree on Riker. Tom Riker is one figure I have vowed I will not buy (unless he is cheap), it looks like he has dropped yellow goop down his uniform. One thing that Riker has been good at is having that awkward hand, you can get some good poses out of that when you stand him on the side of Data's opps station or sit him in his chair on the bridge.

Hilarious, Riker, the only man that looks and sits right with a V crotch....

I also think that classic Spock's head is a little too cartoonish for me. 

#5 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Hmmm....I would say my LEAST favorite figure out of all of them was Keiko O'Brien...I mean they could have done SO MUCH More with her. The outfit was so boring. Infact they kinda cheaped out on that entire series, as far as articulation and what now. 

And also the Starfleet Cadets line wasn't all that great either. Meh

#6 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

I will agree with the Starfleet Cadets. I can somewhat forgive a bad sculpt or a reused part, but just making stuff up that didn't exist when you have so much content to make figures from just seemed like a waste.

#7 dathon18

dathon18

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

I'd have to agree that the Cadet figures sucked. Not so much that the sculpts were bad, but the fact that they were just making things up when there were a lot of other characters they could have done.

Also, the Garek figure was bad. The body is fine, but the head sculpt doesn't look anything like him at all! Kurn is another that I don't care for. The head sculpt looks good, but they should have done him in Klingon attire. These are the ones that pop into mind for me anyway ;0) Fred K.

#8 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

I am not crazy about the static action poses of the TNG series 1 figures like Worf or the Ferengi.....I prefer a clean stance with enough articulation to pose them as you like.

#9 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Dr. Soong?? Lwaxana?? Garek?? I love those figures!   :D

We are talking crummy figures & no one has mentioned Intendant Kira? What a let down she was. The hands that could barely hold anything, the missing hi-heels, the limited artic...& that squatting pose. Ugh! Soo not the vamp we saw on TV. She was & still is the figure I was most disappointed with.

Figures like DS9 Tom Riker & DS9 Beverly....they were weird, but they weren't figures I bothered with for many years.

I'm glad they gave Pulaski an inaccurate uniform, as I have since used that body to make an S1 Beverly. I'm sure many people did. If only it were that easy to make early season Wesley figures.

#10 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

I must say I really like some of the cadet figures. They can be used for some very cool customs. And I always found Lwaxana a real good likeness.

As for Pulaski's uniform: Too bad they screwed up the pattern on the back...

#11 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

I also think that Garak is fantastic as well, Andrew Robinson is a great person and Garak is one of, if not my favourite Trek characters. And they gave him his tailoring kit. Agreed, Dr Soong is good in the fact Playmates made one, but he isn’t that useful if you get 3 or 4, although I have made good use out of my spare. Soran isn’t that great of a likeness, but it helps when you add his scar that the official figure lacked, and of course he makes good custom fodder. 

#12 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

i say it is Nog. he looks like the grand nagus

#13 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

i say it is Nog. he looks like the grand nagus

I forgot about Nog, or should I say I tried to forget about Nog. Its such a shame they never made a proper Nog or made one that looks like him, and he's extremely hard to customize due to his size. And they didn’t even paint him properly! I might have to find a Gi-Joe or some other to make one, as I love DS9 and it would be a crime not to make him.

To add to my previous post, as good as some figures are, the "Action Statues" of the later lines and the Generations wave where disappointing, as they had no movability. That said however, their where some good ones (Leeta, Borg Queen, the Duras sisters, City On The Edge Of Forever Kirk and Spock).

And don't forget the TNG transporter figures...

#14 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Lieutenant Paris' likeness was terrible. "Yesterday's Enterprise" Yar had the wrong hair, which bugged me. Vash had a horrible sculpt and they chose her least flattering outfit ever. Hmm...those are the only ones that stand out. 

I don't consider the cadet figures bad figures...because I don't consider them figures at all. I thought they were a stupid line and, if they were doing all new sculpts, they could have made WAY better choices for each character.

That said...I loved the Playmates Toys!

#15 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Lieutenant Paris' likeness was terrible. "Yesterday's Enterprise" Yar had the wrong hair, which bugged me. Vash had a horrible sculpt and they chose her least flattering outfit ever. Hmm...those are the only ones that stand out. 

I don't consider the cadet figures bad figures...because I don't consider them figures at all. I thought they were a stupid line and, if they were doing all new sculpts, they could have made WAY better choices for each character.

That said...I loved the Playmates Toys!

Yes, Vash looks more like she did when Q aged her rapidly in Q Less. And I just got the official Yar, who is miles better than that fraudster, although I will wait till I get a double to fix the uniform and hair on the 1701. It seems that Playmates have never been able to get Paris right either, as both that they made were a bit hit and miss. And as mentioned before, I never liked the TNG Transporter figures. They have few uses, their uniforms are wrong, and everybody bar Riker and Picard have inaccurate transporter beams. However, they look fantastic when lit up, so at least they have one thing going for them.

#16 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

you know What Generations Soran was prolly the worst figure now that someone mentioned him. He was a total Snoozefest for sure. 

Intendandt Kira I liked better than Keiko, but at the same time she was the first and only chase figure I actually found on the pegs at the time so she holds a place in my heart haha. 

#17 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

I think in terms of articulation I hated 6 POA on the Generations figures and the fact that the uniforms looked nothing like what was seen in the film. Later on thanks to the internet I found that the uniforms were based on early designs for the film and a scene with Geordi captured by Soran was shot with Levar Burton wearing that design, but someone decided to save money and they reused TNG, and DS9 costumes. Now I have a new appreciation of the figures though I still despise the limited articulation. 

I gotta say though, the one figure from playmates I think is the worst is the NuTrek Kirk figure from 2009. The face sculpt makes him look like a child of 6 years. 

#18 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

Professor Data.

What a boring looking figure, that came out at a point when we had already had 15 Dats's anyway.

And he came with a tea set!!!

#19 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

Professor Data.

What a boring looking figure, that came out at a point when we had already had 15 Dats's anyway.

And he came with a tea set!!!

I know, It would of been better if they made him his later Tunic from on board the Pasteur, instead we get a Hugh Hefner Data with a tea set. And I have six tea sets. I suppose one for every Picard figure, at least. Still, he is good for Customs, like Soran.

I think in terms of articulation I hated 6 POA on the Generations figures and the fact that the uniforms looked nothing like what was seen in the film. Later on thanks to the internet I found that the uniforms were based on early designs for the film and a scene with Geordi captured by Soran was shot with Levar Burton wearing that design, but someone decided to save money and they reused TNG, and DS9 costumes. Now I have a new appreciation of the figures though I still despise the limited articulation. 

I gotta say though, the one figure from playmates I think is the worst is the NuTrek Kirk figure from 2009. The face sculpt makes him look like a child of 6 years. 

I thought the Generations figures where terrible, due to the lack of articulation, but since I've got a few (and their incredibly cheap) I've grown to like them. Almost a TWOK look to them, with a TNG neck.

you know What Generations Soran was prolly the worst figure now that someone mentioned him. He was a total Snoozefest for sure. 

Intendandt Kira I liked better than Keiko, but at the same time she was the first and only chase figure I actually found on the pegs at the time so she holds a place in my heart haha. 

I haven’t got the Intendant, yet. Soran as you say was rubbish, and the only redeeming feature is that he comes with a Klingon Disruptor and he is excellent for customs, due to what you could call a blank canvas of a body and head.

#20 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

Hmmm...I've noticed Soran seems to get a bad wrap.  He is currently sitting in my queue of figures to open.

My only gripe is that he doesn't come with that cool looking disruptor/phaser type gun he had in Generations.

Though I get the distinct impression that Playmates just stopped caring about accessories once a sufficient pool of phasers, tricorders, engineering tools and "UV Light Sources" existed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users