Photo

I know it may be taboo...but who saw Clone Wars?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

...yikes. that was bad. Really bad. It's really just the final nail in the coffin for me though...

I've had a lot of interestes over the years, but through it all I've always considered myself a huge fan of 3 things:

Classic Star Trek
Indiana Jones
Star wars

Trek's always been good to me. I've never been too big a fan of any Trek past the classic crew, but that's okay because those were totally seperate universes with totally seperate characters that really didn't affect the classic characters in any way. For all the merchandising and commercialization over the years, Classic Trek, to me, has remained pure.

Star Wars and Indiana Jones is another story. What Lucas has done to these once proud franchises really just turns my stomach. I look at what it was before...and what it is now, and I find myself just closing those doors. I was NOT a fan of the terrible prequels...NOT a fan of Crystal Skull...and I'm definitely not a fan of Clone Wars. I can't go on with the blind allegiance any longer. That's enough for me George. You've ruined enough for me. Thanks for the memories...

So now I'm a fan of one thing. And I really hope J.J. Abrams doesn't pull a Lucas on me.

Sallah

#2 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

You know ... I am not even bothering with Clone Wars. I might get it on DVD, but I won't see it in theaters.

The whole idea was to appeal to a younger audience with this one ... ridiculous concept. Star Wars has always appealed to people of all ages. Heck, I was 5 when I became addicted. Now, though, Lucas (and every other person in Hollywood) wants to dumb things down for children and make it unbearable for the rest of us. I don't get it.

I'm not saying Clone Wars is intolerable, but its far less interesting than anything else in the Star Wars universe to me.

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

The clone wars? That's a tough one. I am a wars fan and a trek fan. I just choose trek to collect. However, I'm passing on this.

#4 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:27 AM

OK, yes, there are some groan moments with the dialogue, but all of the movies have suffered that. For the most part though, it's a nice setup for the show, which is either on TNT or Cartoon Network. The theater we went to was packed and everyone seemed to have enjoyed it. Something I'm hoping is that we start seeing more of why Anakin turned so easily to the Dark Side. I say give it a chance and go in with a open mind, it's a popcorn movie.

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

I saw it this past weekend and i wasnt that thrilled with it. Then again, i havent been that crazy about ANY of the prequels. What comes to mind when i think of "Clone Wars" is that it is a show made as a vehicle to sell toys to kids and collectors. Seems like it used to be that you went crazy over a movie and you looked desparately for merchandise such as toys to keep the excitment going about the movie, but now they make movies to keep the toy line going.

#6 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:45 PM

From everything that I have seen it looks good to me. Although I am one of the people that realy liked the clone wars animated shorts on Cartoon Network (which the look is loosly based on). The biggest complaints I have heard are about the stylized look of it whcih I happen to like. After all it is basicaly a pilot for a TV series and not a true feature film. I just wish they would do some stylized animated films for the original Star Wars characters and leave the prequal stuff alone for a while.

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(sallah @ Aug 18 2008, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So now I'm a fan of one thing. And I really hope J.J. Abrams doesn't pull a Lucas on me.

I think you have allot of people hoping as well... but the Trek Franchise does need something to give it a boost and perhaps attract new young fans. I'm also hoping JJ can do this while not disenfranchising too many TOS "purists". No matter what I'm sure some will be upset.

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 18 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The whole idea was to appeal to a younger audience with this one ... ridiculous concept. Star Wars has always appealed to people of all ages.

Have to agree with you here. The 1st movie was (still is) totally great! it wasn't dumbed down and kids and adults alike loved it.

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Aug 19 2008, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wish they would do some stylized animated films for the original Star Wars characters and leave the prequal stuff alone for a while.

From the get go when the new clone wars was announced critics echoed this theme... give us something between Ep III & IV or something after ROTJ... they could certainly do very nice stylized cartoon images of the original cast and it would move us forward instead of dwelling on the past. Lucas always said the original set of 6 was about the Skywalker's. Ok, he's told the complete father/son saga... but there was more to come after!

Trek has had a few stinkers it's self over the years, but percentage wise of all the media put out, Trek holds up much much better IMO... through 10 movies, only 2 of them were on the smelly side IMO. 4 were outright great (one of which is a bit dated though)... The other 4 were enjoyable entertainment and remain so... 4 Tv shows, each with low and high points... and an animated run that stills stands up well today I think....

Compared to 2 great movies, 2 stinkers, and 2 that were enjoyable. A number of of forgettable sat morning cartoon shows, but a well done animated series (the 1st clone wars)... and now this...

Trek is going through a transition and trying to find a new torch bearer to move the franchise forward. If successful, it will be the 3rd or 4th... Trek wouldn't be here today if it weren't for the likes of Harve Bennet, Rick Berman & Brannon Braga (Yes I know... some people say it's because of them the franchise is in bad shape) the franchise wouldn't have continued.

But say what you like about Berman or Braga, at least they knew it was time to let go and pass the torch on to someone who could do more with it.

It's time for Lucas to let go. I used to go to a Lucas movie on his name alone. No more. it's almost the other way around now!

#8 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

This may be a little off topic but since we are talking animation I would love to see a Trek 3D Animated series. I personaly believe that Titan would be the perfect version to do this. The books have many exotic characters that would translate perfectly in 3D. If a new thread should be started let me know and I will start it.

#9 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

Trek animation would be really sweet.

I have not yet seen Clone Wars but I havent heard many good things. However I expect to be pleasantly surprised when i see it myself. I love new stories no matter who writes them or how they are presented. Just because it doesnt fall into the Ep I-VI doesnt bother me at all. Yes this film seems like Lucas cashing in because he saw the opportunity, but this series could be really cool! Star Wars fans also need to start preparing themselves for more than movies when the live action series starts in a few years.

On a side note my favorite Star Wars film is Ep III so obviously I liked the prequels and think the series would be incomplete without them.

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:04 AM

I put Ep III and ROTJ both in the category of "Thoroughly Enjoyable" and they are both good movies, but not as good/ great as ANH or TESB, but also not nearly as bad as EP I and EP II.

#11 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:09 AM

Id go RotS, RotJ, and ESB 1,2,3 in that order. All the rest mish mosh in the middle together. I was never enamored with ANH like people in the theaters usually are. Its a great story but I wonder if that movie would do as well today as it did when it was relased setting aside all technical aspects with graphics etc. For me the pacing was way too slow in ANH and PM and thats why I primarily dont like them. Once I see CW Ill be able to update that listing. Hopefully Ill get to go see this weekend, but Mark usually has me chained to the desk writing reviews and trektoy schematics on the weekend! biggrin.gif

#12 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:01 AM

My Fav has always been Empire Strikes Back then I would say IV, VI, III,II,I

#13 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:05 PM

I just got back from seeing te Clone Wars and can not for the life of me understand what peoples problems are with this movie. I realy enjoyed it. Was it a masterpeice of cinematography?. No... Was it fun and entertaining? Very much so. I loved the stylized look and the story wasnt bad for being little more than a pilot for the new series. I would go as far as to say it ranked higher than episode one and the clone wars cartoons on cartoon network for me (and I realy like the cartoon network cartoons). My only problem with it was the horrible intro that basiclay set it up. They did it kind of like a 1040's radio naration of how the war was progressing. It just didint fit. But after you got passed that it was fun. I have said it beofre and will say it again. People realy just need to learn to lighten up and stop being so judgemental about stuff. It realy does get in the way of enjoying life.

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Aug 25 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People realy just need to learn to lighten up and stop being so judgemental about stuff. It realy does get in the way of enjoying life.

Well, I think people are entitled to an opinion! And you really only have so much time in life, it's a pity to waste it doing things you don't enjoy, more so if you have to pay hard earned money to do so! So, if people were disappointed or didn't enjoy it, sharing their opinion may save someone else the disappointment!

#15 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:18 PM

Better than "The Holdiay Special"............

#16 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Aug 25 2008, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I think people are entitled to an opinion! And you really only have so much time in life, it's a pity to waste it doing things you don't enjoy, more so if you have to pay hard earned money to do so! So, if people were disappointed or didn't enjoy it, sharing their opinion may save someone else the disappointment!

Keep fighting the good fight Gothneo rolleyes.gif . It always amuses me how someone has to immediately jump in and say "people have the right to their opinion" while in the process, just saying it to a person that has just expressed thier opinion is basicaly telling that person that they dont have a right to state thier opinion. And I never said that people didnt have that right or even imply it. It just seems that people are getting way to critical these days and do not have the ability to just enjoy things or even if they do like it, rip it apart anyway. It was just an observation and my opinion which according to you I have the right to have. Or do I?

sharing their opinion may save someone else the disappointment!

And sharing mine may help some people realize that they can make thier own judgments and not listen to all the negativity that is starting to seep in here.

#17 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:53 PM

We all have good points, but its time we got back on topic of judging the merits/negatives of this film. If we could list those directly that would be much better for all.

#18 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Aug 25 2008, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
....... My only problem with it was the horrible intro that basiclay set it up. They did it kind of like a 1040's radio naration of how the war was progressing. It just didint fit. ......

Agreed I did also see it and tghough for me it does not make it compared to the real movies (with the exception of no 1) it was really enjoyable. To date I still don't udnerstand why they did not simply start with the standard tekst layout of what is hapening (as the did for the othe movies)

#19 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Aug 25 2008, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep fighting the good fight Gothneo rolleyes.gif . It always amuses me how someone has to immediately jump in and say "people have the right to their opinion" while in the process, just saying it to a person that has just expressed thier opinion is basicaly telling that person that they dont have a right to state thier opinion. And I never said that people didnt have that right or even imply it. It just seems that people are getting way to critical these days and do not have the ability to just enjoy things or even if they do like it, rip it apart anyway. It was just an observation and my opinion which according to you I have the right to have. Or do I?
And sharing mine may help some people realize that they can make thier own judgments and not listen to all the negativity that is starting to seep in here.

He he! Of course you have a right to yours! But I think it's funny how when someone says you have the right to an opinion, other people think they are being censored! You "Assumed" that I'm saying you don't have a right to your opinion, when I clearly never said or implied anything of the nature!

In any matter, I think it's good to have reviews from people that like and dislike things. People can then read the reviews and decide for themselves, but if everything is glowing and great, then you can't different something to your tastes! Thus critiques are needed IMO!

#20 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

I havent seen the movie yet but I just saw the first episode on cartoon network and I really liked it. I think the design of the characters is really cool and thus far they transfer better into figure form. What I saw was a solid story that played right into the star wars mythos. I didnt get to see the second episode because my dvr screwed up but I think im really going to like this show!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users