General Trek Movie Discussion & Review Thread

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:52 PM

I thought we needed one of these just so we can put random stuff about the movie in here. I would like this to be a SPOILER FREE ZONE so please put all of that stuff in a different thread.

So far here are my thoughts:
Almost every high school kid that I talk to who has seen the trailer is genuinely excited about the movie. I work in two different high schools of very different demographics and the attitude seems to be the same. Im really shocked by it because it looks like the Trek "stigma" may be lifted. I have some of the most popular kids in the school telling me that they want to go see the midnight showing. In my mind this is exactly who the studio wanted to target and it seems like it is a success thus far. Is it me or does having the most popular kids wanting to watch Trek feel as if Im living in the Mirror Universe?

#2 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

I have heard a few positive responses from younger people in regards to the new movie too. I just hope that once they catch them initialy,they will be able to keep them interested. I know attention spans now days are ever changing at warp speed!

#3 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

I was chatting to my 16 year old brother who goes to a really large school here in blighty and to be honest, they are all quite interested in this new Star Trek which is fantastic news really, I think it could do very well.

I think stigmas are easily wiped out if the end product is any good - i think this movie looks genuinely good and exciting. You've also got some pretty popular actors in this movie - Simon Pegg for instance, Zachary Quinto also, and then you have John Cho and Karl Urban - it's a pretty international cast. JJ Abrams is also a big name who's creations such as Fringe, Lost and Alias have all been proven to be successful with a mainstream audience.

I just hope it catches on with the kids and they want the toys.

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

My son and his friends are interested now that the movie does not have a bunch of "gezzers in space" as he calls them. What can I say I'm old enough to be his dad.

#5 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

I can hear Chris Pine's Kirk quoting Han Solo allready in regards to old Spock...."Where did you dig up that old fossil?" The crew responds...." Spock's a great man!"......"Great at getting us in trouble!"..... and before Kirk can get his phaser out to blast somebody Old Spock and new Spock tag team Kirk and subdue him with the ol' Vulcan Neck Pinch!

#6 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:24 PM

A couple of new clips from the movie are up:

McCoy scene

Uhura scene

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. I hope the rest of the world does too.

#7 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:19 AM

That McCoy one is great!

This is me waiting on the new movie

#8 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

The McCoy scene is awesome! I was worried when I first heard Urban was cast as McCoy...but man it looks like he absolutely nailed it. I have been nothing but impressed with everything I've seen of him so far.

Sallah

#9 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

Yeah I was in the same boat thinking Gary Sinise would be better, but he is just as cranky as they come in that clip. LOL

#10 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

I gotta say that McCoy clip has be all ready for the movie now...I want today to be May 7th!!!! (Since I, of course, will be going at midnight!)

I love Urban's portrayal in this scene, especially at the beginning when he's arguing with the officer. I seem to remember McCoy showing the same facial tick when he got agitated.

Woohoo!

#11 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

The biggest thing is that hand wave sort of "whatever" thing McCoy would do.

#12 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

http://www.omelete.c...e...19075&img=1

#13 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

Wow I didnt think Kirk could get any cockier.....apparently I was seriously mistaken!

#14 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

I haven't seen anything yet that hasn't made me change my mind that this movie is going to be a farce.

McCoy sounds like Jack Nicholson

Pine re-affirms what I can't stand about actors nowadays. None of them act they all try to mug it up for the camera.

I think this movie will do Massive amounts of business because sadly a lot of folks are devoid of any real "quality meters" plus some Trekkies need their Star Trek fix and will like anything that comes out.

The fact that the "popular" kids in a high school are excited about this movie doesn't really give it a huge stamp of approval for me because quite honestly "Who Cares?" what the popular kids like. Popular kids have liked 90210, the O.C. and recently Gossip Girl, not to mention other various other pieces of schlock over time. All are shows that have either been seen over time as the garbage that they were or will be seen that way in a few years.

It is just sad to see something that used to be thought of as having integrity be brought down the level of 90210 and Gossip Girl.

#15 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (DavAnthony @ Apr 11 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is just sad to see something that used to be thought of as having integrity be brought down the level of 90210 and Gossip Girl.

Oh come off it, this looks nothing like those series, Gossip Girl? come on - show a little rationality.

Nothing in this movie suggests Star Trek's integrity has been compromised, Your being ridiculous and basing your opinion on your bias emotions, in other words, you don't want change. If you want to talk about Star Trek's integrity why not talk about the lack of integrity and the oh so formulaic stories told during Voyager and Enterprise. If you think this destroys Star Trek's integrity then perhaps you should think about the lack of substance and relevance to the re-hashed stories about race, equality and sexuality in the last two series and films. Trek's integrity was compromised years ago, this movie if anything re-establishes it's relevance and integrity for a new, young generation.

If you also think that the general population of young people watch shows like Gossip Girl and 90210 based on nothing but their popularity then it just goes to show that you don't really understand what "kids" like these days.

#16 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

Wow. hit a nerve there New Frontier didn't I? Okay calm down, deep breaths in the nose and out da mouth.

Ok better...good. Now the Casting alone of this movie proves integrity has been compromised. McCoy a pretty boy...really? I Didn't like Voyager because it followed the same trend as what this movie is doing...T&A not substance. Voyager started off pretty good and got progressively worse especially when 7of9 came on-once again T&A. Enterprise when they went for the T&A approach, like the current movie, was bad its first couple of seasons. It only got better it's last few when it got back to Star Trek's roots.

I really do find it astounding how much some of you NEED absolutely NEED for this movie to be liked by all. Anyone who expresses a dissenting opinion you have to flip out on. It's a shame really. What happens to accepting all differing beliefs, isn't that what folks are always throwing IDIC around for. OHHHH I get it it's only accepting differing viewpoints and beliefs if you agree with them?

Nicely done New Frontier, nicely done.

#17 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (DavAnthony @ Apr 11 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow. hit a nerve there New Frontier didn't I? Okay calm down, deep breaths in the nose and out da mouth.

Well at least your constant in getting things wrong wink.gif - no nerves were harmed during the writing of that post. I'm not going to reply to your opinions on this movie, i think your completely wrong and just throwing a hissy fit because this isn't the Star Trek you grew up with - a time honored tradition among the fanatics that have taken everything about this movie as a personal insult - and you have the cheek to suggest I'm throwing a hissy fit lol wink.gif

I really do find it astounding how much some of you NEED absolutely NEED for this movie to be liked by all. Anyone who expresses a dissenting opinion you have to flip out on. It's a shame really. What happens to accepting all differing beliefs, isn't that what folks are always throwing IDIC around for. OHHHH I get it it's only accepting differing viewpoints and beliefs if you agree with them?

I find it astounding that you have to use the excuse that we need you to love this movie. personally, i don't care if you hate this movie, but could you stop with the irrational and presumptuous opinions over it? Sure, you hate the movie, you have no intention of going to see it - so why are you so interested in talking about it - i think that is what annoys many fans who just want to enjoy it - is that the people who don't or are unwilling to accept a new vision - just don't leave it be and move on.

I accept different beliefs, but i don't have to agree with them. As fans of Star Trek, we should at least be able to give this movie a try, rather than dismissing it before you've seen it.

#18 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

Lets agree to respect each other opinions or at the very least to agree to disagree because this really isnt going to head anywhere positive.

#19 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Apr 11 2009, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lets agree to respect each other opinions or at the very least to agree to disagree because this really isnt going to head anywhere positive.

You are absolutely right.

#20 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

Thanks guys.

Back on topic

One more great review.

http://www.film.com/...91#fc_movies_b2

0 user(s) are reading this topic