Seaquest DSV

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

I know this topic won't really go anywhere, but I wanted to let the one fan out there other than me that loves this show know that I received an email today from Universal stating that season 2 of Seaquest will be available January 1, 2008.

I am super excited about this. I was afraid that season 1 didn't sell well enough to warrant continuing the series on DVD. Although season 2 is where I started saying "what the hell happened?" I am excited to see it come out just the same.

I have a small confession ... Seaquest outshined TNG for me. It was my favorite series at the time it was on the air. I was sad the direction the show took and sadder they canceled it.

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:00 PM

I only watched a handfull of episodes but I thought it had promise. I did however get to have a few drinks with Peter Deluise about two months before it was cancelled. He was a pretty cool guy. Even gave me a T shirt that he had won in a contest at the bar we were at. I also met and hung out with Jonathon Brandis for a bit at Disneys Pleasure Island Halloween bash. He was also a pretty nice kid.

#3 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:10 AM

I remember season 2 debuting and their new doctor (the lady who played Moriarty's ladyfriend in the TNG episode "Ship in a Bottle") was empathic. Or psychic... or something like that. I think I stopped watching after that.

But those Deluise brothers... they were hot! Sadly, I think I saw one in a Purina dog food commercial. It's sad when that happens. Just like Vash is now on some headache medicine comercial.
sad.gif

How many seasons of DSV were there? And did Brandis die during the production of the show, or afterwards?

#4 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(Chalksquared @ Oct 4 2007, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember season 2 debuting and their new doctor (the lady who played Moriarty's ladyfriend in the TNG episode "Ship in a Bottle") was empathic. Or psychic... or something like that. I think I stopped watching after that.

But those Deluise brothers... they were hot! Sadly, I think I saw one in a Purina dog food commercial. It's sad when that happens. Just like Vash is now on some headache medicine comercial.
sad.gif

How many seasons of DSV were there? And did Brandis die during the production of the show, or afterwards?

Three seasons from 93 - 96. Brandis committed suicide by hanging in 2003.

#5 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ Oct 4 2007, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Three seasons from 93 - 96. Brandis committed suicide by hanging in 2003.

I clearly have no sense of time. I remember he committed suicide and I remember I had only known him from DSV. He was the Wesley of that "ship". was he not?

#6 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

^ Yeah he was. You can look him up on IMDB and see what else he did.

FYI: Stephanie Beacham (Moriarty's girlfriend from TNG) was only in season 1 as Dr. Kristin Westphalen and she was NOT the psycic!! Rosaland (Ingledew) Allen came on board as psycic doctor Wendy Smith for season 2 only (she's also a TNG alumn: Yanar from "The Outrageous Okona)

Part of the character lineup change came as a result of production location changes from Florida to California. Stephanie was one of the actors who was not inticed enough by the contract to move across the country. Which is sad because her character was one of the best of the series. sad.gif

Also, about the Purina commercials. That was David DeLuise (aka Pete Shanahan from Stargate SG-1) that you saw, NOT Peter or Michael.

I AM excited to hear that season 2 will be released. And even though it was the worst of the series, I hope season 3 (aka SeaQuest 2032) sees the light of day as well.

I LOVED this series (though it didn't trump TNG for me ultimately...if things had continued as Season 1 had set them up to, there's a strong chance that it could have!!). I find it ironic that the creative changes in season 2 came about because the suties at NBC thought that the show wasn't "sci-fi enough" for their audiences. Thus why we got story lines dealing with telepathy, genetic engineering, aliens, etc. It was really just sad how quickly the show went from OUTSTANDING to abismal. sad.gif

#7 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:58 PM

Stephanie Beacham (Moriarty's girlfriend from TNG) was only in season 1 as Dr. Kristin Westphalen and she was NOT the psychic!! Rosaland (Ingledew) Allen came on board as psychic doctor Wendy Smith for season 2 only (she's also a TNG alumn:Yanar from "The Outrageous Okona)

Sorry that my memory is not what it used to be. I just remember that there was a Deanna To-ish character on that show AND Babylon 5 (Talia Winters may have been her name, but don't bite my head off if I am wrong about that too! wink.gif )

Also, about the Purina commercials. That was David DeLuise (aka Pete Shanahan from Stargate SG-1) that you saw, NOT Peter or Michael.
I AM excited to hear that season 2 will be released. And even though it was the worst of the series, I hope season 3 (aka SeaQuest 2032) sees the light of day as well.

How many DeLuise brothers are there?!? They all alike to me though. H-O-T!

#8 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:45 PM

^Wasn't biting your head off there Chalkie wink.gif

And that's all three of the DeLuise brothers: Peter, David, and Michael. You can see a picture of all three of them from when they guest starred on "3rd Rock from the Sun" HERE (Plus a shirtless pic of Peter for ya too Chalky wink.gif )

#9 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

loved the first season.

As soon as I heard Stephanie Beacham would not move with the show & was leaving....I lost a lot of my interest. Don't remember the next few seasons, only watched a handfull of episodes.

I do know Stephanie's leaving was a big blow to the show as she, along with the Captain, were the most popular characters. Stephanie ofcourse having a great amount of fame for playing Sable or Phyllis (or something) on Dynasty & she was also Dylans mother on 90210.

The character's themselves did seem like TNG...the pesky kid hanging around, the mature age Captain & Doctor with a special friendship...the season 2 Doctor (Wendy) was like a mixture of Troi & Crusher! though Darwin was a little more talkative than Spot! biggrin.gif

Then we come to the real heartache for me....due to Playmates ofcourse & their like for leaving ships Doctors out of initial figure assortments.

I was sooo excited when I saw Seaquest figures...but ofcourse the main one I wanted was never made. They made the Dolphin but not the Doctor!! Tried to customise a Westphalen using Hitchcock's body & a Beverly Crusher head...But I didn't like it & threw it out.

Makes me realise how lucky I am that Playmates TNG went beyond the first set which excluded the Doctor...that would have killed me! laugh.gif

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Oct 8 2007, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Plus a shirtless pic of Peter for ya too Chalky wink.gif )

Oohhhhh...Cheers Wildcard... biggrin.gif

#10 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Oct 8 2007, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And that's all three of the DeLuise brothers: Peter, David, and Michael. You can see a picture of all three of them from when they guest starred on "3rd Rock from the Sun" HERE (Plus a shirtless pic of Peter for ya too Chalky wink.gif )

That's why I love me my Wildcard!!! tongue.gif

#11 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:54 PM

^ &^^ laugh.gif Hehehe...who looks out for his peeps? wink.gif

Btw Artistix...those figures were someof the best toys to be made at that time imho. The figures had wonderful POA's and decent likenesses. Some of the accessories were cool too. And yes, I too was totally bummed when a Westphalin wasn't made. sad.gif

#12 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:30 PM

The likeness' were damn good I thought.

Lucas wasn't anything amazing....but Bridger, Hitchcock, Crocker & Ford were excellent.

Westphalen sometimes wore an outfit just like the regular suit, but in a light blue or green colour I think, there were a few publicity shots of her in the standard dark blue/black as well. So I thought I could use Hitchcocks body & maybe...the Saavik head?

Any better ideas? I already tried using '93 Beverly....didn't like it.

Her hair can be up or down, it always changed. Just need a 4.5" figure who resembles her??

#13 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:18 AM

^A Beverly Picard (AGT) with hair painted dark brown maybe?

#14 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Oct 26 2007, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^A Beverly Picard (AGT) with hair painted dark brown maybe?

Does Greg every run out of good ideas?!?

Looking at the pic that Art provided, I think that is a GREAT idea!!!

#15 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 27 October 2007 - 11:49 AM

The only problem is that the original Seaquest figures were 4.5" scale and AGT Beverly is 7". You might be able to shrinky-dink the hair I guess. I remember someone posting about materials that would mold and shrink/grow.

#16 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Oct 28 2007, 04:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only problem is that the original Seaquest figures were 4.5" scale and AGT Beverly is 7".

I gather he meant the Playmates version.

An excellent idea. Thanks Wildcard.

#17 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:24 PM

Ah, yes, that would make sense. LOL blink.gif The blonde is showing through.

#18 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

^Haha...we'll blame it on post operation dispheria. wink.gif

But yes, I meant the PM version. biggrin.gif

Thanks Chalky! I have a lot of great ideas for customs...just don't have the skill to do a lot of them or the $$ to get the resources.

#19 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

More sad news on the Hollywood front. Roy Scheider of Jaws and Seaquest fame has died. He was in the hospital and cause of death wasn't released, but he was being treated for cancer.

#20 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Feb 10 2008, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More sad news on the Hollywood front. Roy Scheider of Jaws and Seaquest fame has died. He was in the hospital and cause of death wasn't released, but he was being treated for cancer.

According to Wikipedia, he died from complications of a staph infection. Sad news indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users