Star Trek XI Enterprise ship design

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE(Chalksquared @ Apr 11 2007, 02:34 AM) View Post
I hate "My Fair Lady".

So do I...........this is not the first time Berns has quoted that song either. wink.gif

Anyhoo. My hope is that this movie won't look that retro. Perhaps one of the things that could really use a freshen up with the franchise is the basic design of federation starships that have basically been a variation of saucers and nacelles. I've never been a fan of the awkard looking ships like the Defiant in TWOK or that ugly thing with four nacelles that looks worse than FHC's last custom ship. roflmao.gif

To me, the coolest ships in Trek have always been the alien ones. The Klingon and Romulan ships have consistently looked the most business-like.

#42 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE(JulesLuvsShinzon @ Apr 11 2007, 09:31 AM) View Post
I've never been a fan of the awkard looking ships like the Defiant in TWOK

The Defiant in TWOK??? There was a Defiant in The Tholian Web (TOS), there was one in DS9 and the Tholian Web one popped up in In a Mirror Darkly (ENT). But there was no Defiant in TWOK.

Or were you talking about the Reliant?

#43 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:20 AM

^^^Yes, but as you well know Berns that was a rare slippage for me...but you just had to point it out didn't you? rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

The next time you make one of your (many) boobies, I will not be so leniant! roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

Besides, I am Master Of The Preorder, and you are merely Maxed Out...so behave yourself or I will pull rank....or something! roflmao.gif

#44 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Apr 10 2007, 11:36 PM) View Post
thank goodness it was a joke! I know some of you liked it, but I didn't. The design had a number of things that made it look a bit more complex and if your going backward I think it should look simpler.

I don't agree with that. My Walkman from 20 years ago looks a lot more complicated than my iPod.

#45 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:14 PM

As I stated before, I like the design, but I don't think it would work as the Enterprise. It just has that "Out of Left Field" feel to it. I think the more they stick to the original, the better off they'll be.

#46 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(JulesLuvsShinzon @ Apr 11 2007, 06:20 PM) View Post
^^^Yes, but as you well know Berns that was a rare slippage for me...but you just had to point it out didn't you? rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Well, I was halfway through typing my reply when I suddenly realised you were probably talking about the Reliant. When I started my reply I had no,idea what you were talking about.

QUOTE(JulesLuvsShinzon @ Apr 11 2007, 06:20 PM) View Post
The next time you make one of your (many) boobies, I will not be so leniant! roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

My I remind you that you're probably the one with boobies. I'm a member of the other sex.

#47 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Apr 11 2007, 12:29 PM) View Post
Well, I was halfway through typing my reply when I suddenly realised you were probably talking about the Reliant. When I started my reply I had no,idea what you were talking about.
My I remind you that you're probably the one with boobies. I'm a member of the other sex.

Actually, with men, that is a matter of debate. It would depend entirely on how much you weigh.

#48 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

Well, I see we're veering off again...

#49 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:42 AM

^^^Not in any direction I'm keen to go in! ohmy.gif

I think these artistic renderings of old ships are all very well in calendars and books, but seeing something like that on the big screen once again will definitely persuade me to stay home and save my pennies come December 2008.

#50 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:50 AM

I've always felt Koerner's TOS Enterprise was much too busy. There's just too much going on. If they upgrade the look for the new movie, they should keep things simple. Just add some hull plating and aztecing. That should be about it. That way they preserve the original lines of the Enterprise while making the textures match to the modern Trek ships.

#51 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE(knightone @ Apr 12 2007, 09:50 AM) View Post
If they upgrade the look for the new movie, they should keep things simple. Just add some hull plating and aztecing. That should be about it. That way they preserve the original lines of the Enterprise while making the textures match to the modern Trek ships.

I don't agree. If it's too close to the original people might just think the movie is part of the original continuity. So the design of the ship should make it clear the movie's a reboot. I for one don't like the Bat-cowl in Batman Begins. They had the cowl down perfectly in Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. But they needed a new design of the cowl to distanciate Batman Begins from the previous movies.

@ Jules and all other Trekkies and Trekkers:
Remember this is the last chance we've got for future Star Trek outings. If this one flops, NO MORE STAR TREK! Don't live the illusion that by boycotting this move they might go back to the TNG era and make a post-Nemesis movie or series. That won't be done. Don't hurt yourself the way I did by hoping that if TNG would flop we could have gotten more series and movies set just after TUC. They could have made an Excelsior series instead of DS9 or VOY, but they didn't. They could have made a Titan series instead of ENT but they didn't. Bottom line, in Hollywood either you get wat they want to make, either you get nothing at all. Paramount has decided in 1991 that the TUC timeline won't be continued. In 2002 they decided that the Nemesis timeline won't be continued. Even the cold reception ENT got didn't push them into making a Titan series. So if this movie is going to be a hit, we'll get plenty more Star Trek. But if it's going to be a flop, it will be the end for Star Trek.

#52 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:20 AM

I personally don't consider this outing as Star Trek and though I saw almost all other "Trek" movies in theaters, mostly the first weekend if not the first day released, I will not pay money to see a "recast".

Old freinds like Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, Doohan, etc, can't just be replaced on a director's whim, who doesn't even consider himself a Trekkie or Trekker.

If a poor box office to this kills "Trek", so be it. Trek is still shown every day of the week now anyway.

#53 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(Sybeck1 @ Apr 12 2007, 01:20 PM) View Post
I personally don't consider this outing as Star Trek and though I saw almost all other "Trek" movies in theaters, mostly the first weekend if not the first day released, I will not pay money to see a "recast".

That's exactly where I am with this latest movie. I've supported every Trek venture wholeheartedly up until now, and frankly never envisioned the day when I ~ a rabid treker ~ would ever be in the situation of wanting to turn my nose up at anything bearing the name, but then, up until has always offered something new to look forward to. New faces in old shoes that were worn so perfectly by the original cast is not new.

Old freinds like Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, Doohan, etc, can't just be replaced on a director's whim,

I am stunned they're even trying TBH. Nobody is going to be able to pull off the dynamic of the original character interplay without it looking like some kind of godawful parody.

If a poor box office to this kills "Trek", so be it. Trek is still shown every day of the week now anyway.

Trek ~ like Spock ~ never stays dead for long! I have no truck with anybody who has wrung their hands and said that if I don't go and see this movie, and other Trekkers follow suit, this will be the "end" of any new Star Trek. Period. If this movie flops then it will spell the end of any attempting to remake Trek, and you can bet that a few years down the line somebody with a bit of creativity ~i.e. not flavour of the month JJ Abrams and his fiendishly pointless plots ~ will take the franchise forward from the 24th century, as should be done now.

#54 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:34 AM

Berns is SO right!!!

I don't understand people's feeling here regarding the new movie. If Paramount decided to rename the characters and pretend they are different, then would everyone be whining about rebooting and recasting? The new adventures of Captain Burke, Dr. McCue, and Mr. Shlock?!?

We have a Star Trek in the theatres again that might be awesome! Might not, BUT WE WILL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT COMES OUT AND WE SEE IT! Bottom line.
mad.gif

#55 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Apr 12 2007, 10:07 AM) View Post
@ Jules and all other Trekkies and Trekkers:

Does "all" other trekkers mean an acceptance that you're in the minority? laugh.gif

Remember this is the last chance we've got for future Star Trek outings. If this one flops, NO MORE STAR TREK!

For the time being. And in any case, I don't consider a remake of Kirk & co to be Star Trek at all. Trek was always about "boldly going forward" and not rebooting the past because they ran out of ideas.

Don't live the illusion that by boycotting this move they might go back to the TNG era and make a post-Nemesis movie or series. That won't be done.

***NEWS FLASH*** We know there won't be any more TNG movies. Most of us got that point right after Nemesis flopped, even though there is a damn good story there waiting to be done. I never saw Riker and the Titan as a contender.

Don't hurt yourself the way I did by hoping that if TNG would flop we could have gotten more series and movies set just after TUC.

I may love Trek, but even I don't take it that seriously. If you ever thought that there was going to be any more TOS after TUC then you must have been on some kind of interesting substances! Especially since TUC was made well after TNG was an established success!

They could have made an Excelsior series instead of DS9 or VOY, but they didn't.

No they couldn't. Apart from a few fanboys who saw the Excelsior as the only way to keep TOS alive, most of us knew that George Takei and his secondary character simply did not have the pull for a major movie release. There was no need ever to have returned to TOS characters after DS9 and VOY, they had Enterprise up and running by then.

They could have made a Titan series instead of ENT but they didn't.

They didn't because TNG was the movie franchise and Enterprise needed to build up a solid fan following before a big screen adventure. It didn't. Then again, your chronology is out. Enterprise was devised in the very late 90s. The script development for Nemesis was not finalised until 2001. In other words, the Enterprise premise preceeded any idea of the Titan.

Bottom line, in Hollywood either you get wat they want to make, either you get nothing at all.

I think the vibe you ought to be getting by now is that many of us don't care for much of what Hollywood offers these days, and save our pennies accordingly. Most of us don't care. Whether you support a movie or not is an individual decision, and in many cases naysayers won't be swayed by people wringing their hands and flaming fellow fans for not supporting a crap idea. The same blame game happened after Enterprise got cancelled, but people who know how to be discerning consumers will put that attitude down to the psychology of people who are suddenly having to face a time in which no new Trek will be released for them to look forward to. If people in general don't like Abrams' movie and it performs badly at the box office, Hollywood won't go on insisting that that is all Trekkers can expect because it doesn't work. The franchise will either take a long nap, or they'll be forced to think outside of the box. Either way, I have my DVDs to enjoy, so I think I'll manage. wink.gif

Paramount has decided in 1991 that the TUC timeline won't be continued.

Poor Berns, that decision ruined your life didn't it? Maybe it's time to accept that and move on? wink.gif

In 2002 they decided that the Nemesis timeline won't be continued.

Nope. In 2002 ~ before the movie was released, Spiner and co had the outlines for a direct sequel lined up. Nemesis wasn't even released until mid December 2002, and in 2003, when it became clear just how poorly it had done, that was when TNG officially ended.

Even the cold reception ENT got didn't push them into making a Titan series.

Trust me, there was never going to be a Titan series other than in books.

So if this movie is going to be a hit, we'll get plenty more Star Trek.

But probably not Star Trek that many of us are interested in watching.

#56 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(Chalksquared @ Apr 12 2007, 05:34 PM) View Post
[font=Comic Sans MS]

I don't understand people's feeling here regarding the new movie.

As Shinzon said, "you don't have to understand"! Can't help the way I feel about this venture. End of.

If Paramount decided to rename the characters and pretend they are different, then would everyone be whining about rebooting and recasting?

In my experience of many similar discussions on mesage boards, once somebody starts characterising the advancement of an opinion they don't happen to agree with as "whining" then things go downhill pretty quickly. I hope that this board is more respectful than that. wink.gif

The new adventures of Captain Burke, Dr. McCue, and Mr. Shlock?!?

Quite unintentionally, I'm sure, you just described exactly what I think we'll be getting in 2008!! laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users