The Worst Star Trek Movie Is...

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: The Worst Star Trek Movie (27 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your least favourite Star Trek movie and why?

1. Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

5. Voted Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (9 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

6. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Star Trek: Generations (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

8. Star Trek: First Contact (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Star Trek: Insurrection (2 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

10. Star Trek: Nemesis (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Star Trek (2009) (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

12. Star Trek Into Darkness (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

The past isnt coming back....and we are starting to get older VF....lets face it...the torch is being passed to a younger generation.... The stories may seem bad to you but to someone who hasnt seen the past Treks these are great.... You dont know how many young people in my family like Trek now due to the JJ films. The 70s were a different time....and merchandising for TMP was not all that big .... Things really didnt take off until the early 90s....a big part due to TNG....a phenomenon that many hardcore Trek fans wouldn't accept either at the time.

Gene and Majel are gone....thats not gonna change.... and the fans ran Berman out of town....Berman was Gene's hand picked successor....but fans wouldnt have it....now the powers that be picked JJ....and we just hear the same old gripes as always.... I honestly think many Trek fans are most happy when they have something to complain about....

#42 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:02 AM

Merchandising was pretty all inclusive for TMP. for anyone that was there at the time, they remember you couldn't go anywhere with TMP product being thrust at you! It was everywhere!

but yep times have changed, and they needed to change with them.

I just wanted an original story :(

And yeah I know some people disagree with me ;) but I found ITD to be very derivative... a remake that took elements of TWOK, TUC, and Insurrection and re-hashed it.

The whole point of the reboot was to be unfettered by the past and to be able to tell new stories w/o worrying about cannon. But then they stuck all those Easter eggs in and did it in ways to invoke fans memories of cannon?!

ugh! BUT... watch it as just another space-faring pop corn munching summer distraction, and its one of the best efforts of the summer!

#43 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

I just dont have the time or energy to defend what I view as entertainment....I realize some treat their entertainment like sports, knowing all of the stats, having intense views, and ultimately just see themselves as fans.... I guess thats just not me....

#44 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:25 AM

I apologize if I seem upset.....Threads like this always get me.... Probably because I love Trek too much.... lol. Oh and just for the record...I personally love TMP.... Its a great scifi epic that really was one of Gene's true visions.....

#45 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

Oh let me be clear, I'm not upset by all this - happens all the time (I'm a big gamer, and some games that I loved even just 5-6 years ago, are now being turned into something they never were - guns, guns, guns, bombs, bombs, bombs etc). Regarding Star Trek, I couldn't be happier at the moment. TNG getting Blu-rayed, DS9 in all likelihood being next-up, and all these ship models - chuffed. :)

#46 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Star Trek is 50 years old, if anyone is under the impression it could go back telling even the kind of stories Roddenberry "got away with" back when Star Trek was fresh-faced is going to be sorely disappointed with every future and current incarnation of Star Trek. 

It's ultimately its own worse nightmare because it's hugely popular and by and large fans are just there to enjoy it as it comes (me) without getting to attached to a certain aspect of Star Trek. Some fans do though and thats a real shame because fans like that, I believe, limit their fundamental enjoyment of something. 

I stand by my opinion that whilst Into Darkness could have been better, It was the best movie of the summer and it was not a rehash of the story to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (how could it be) even though yes some blatant copying was going on LINDELOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!

But just to throw some comedy into the mix... 

;)

#47 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

Simon Pegg has shared some wise words HERE about the Into Darkness Las Vegas Star Trek movie poll.

#48 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

Star Trek is 50 years old, if anyone is under the impression it could go back telling even the kind of stories Roddenberry "got away with" back when Star Trek was fresh-faced is going to be sorely disappointed with every future and current incarnation of Star Trek. 

It's ultimately its own worse nightmare because it's hugely popular and by and large fans are just there to enjoy it as it comes (me) without getting to attached to a certain aspect of Star Trek. Some fans do though and thats a real shame because fans like that, I believe, limit their fundamental enjoyment of something. 

I stand by my opinion that whilst Into Darkness could have been better, It was the best movie of the summer and it was not a rehash of the story to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (how could it be) even though yes some blatant copying was going on LINDELOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!

But just to throw some comedy into the mix... 

;)

Awesome!!! LOL Thanks 1701 :-)

#49 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Simon Pegg has shared some wise words HERE about the Into Darkness Las Vegas Star Trek movie poll.

Pegg says that Into Darkness is the most successful movie ever made. Look at my previous posts in this thread and you will see that that is either ignorance or stupidity on Peggs part. 

#50 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Pegg says that Into Darkness is the most successful movie ever made. Look at my previous posts in this thread and you will see that that is either ignorance or stupidity on Peggs part. 

Pegg say's financially Star Trek Into Darkness was the most successful Star Trek movie ever made and he's not wrong unless you're being ignorant and are only thinking of domestic gross. Worldwide, Star Trek Into Darkness was the most successful Star Trek movie EVER.

Another thing that really kind of pisses me off about this tiny percentage of fans who seem to think that the teams charged with creating Trek some how go making Trek with the intention of making the shittiest Star Trek movie or TV series ever, which simply isn't the case. No Star Trek creator, Berman, Braga or Abrams ever went out to create a pile of shit. So you might not like Star Trek Into Darkness or Star Trek Enterprise or Star Trek Deep Space Nine because it's not your thing but to say it's not Star Trek is just plain ignorant of what Star Trek is anyway! I know regular Star Trek fans who just enjoy it in it's many forms are in the majority and for the most part, fans will enjoy Star Trek for what it is at any given time even if they have some questions about... hey why is Carol Marcus in her underwear? or Why are Archer, T'Pol and Hoshi rubbing each other down in the decontamination chamber? What's the point or why does the TNG bridge look like a motel reception? It irritates me to think that there are so-called fans out there that seem to think that these guys making Enterprise or Into Darkness or Deep Space Nine or any other Star Trek that has received such a barrage of bile from "fans" go out to ruin or destroy Star Trek when the truth could not be more different...

I've just finished watching the special features on the ENTERPRISE Season 2 blu-rays and the amount of vile obnoxious rants they got sent to them (a parcel full of garbage with a note on it saying "This is what you've done to Star Trek") was astonishing and you've got to wonder whether Simon Pegg has a point in telling those kind's of fans to F*ck off...

Another thing that John Billingsley quite rightly said on one of these Enterprise special features the following:  "Every TV show, every movie, every bit of art or artefact that comes into the popular culture has to respond to the conditions of the day. And that's the trap of Star Trek, you can't be writing an iteration of a show that was perfect for it's time period for a time period that is no longer it's time period..." That opinion is so level-headed and really does cement the fact that really Star Trek Into Darkness and Abrams 2009 movie are the right way's to do Star Trek for this time period.

One final thought, you can bet your last dollar that the same fans who slate Abrams Star Trek and remain highly narrow minded about what they seem to think Star Trek is were the same people pissing all over Enterprise and demanding blood be spilled from the heads of Berman and Braga. Ultimately you just have to take fans comments, especially fans who have the time to mail boxes of trash to the production offices at Star Trek or to slate Star Trek for not being Star Trek via the Internet forums, with a pinch of salt.

#51 2thGuy

2thGuy

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Actually, VF, Mr. Pegg would be correct.  ST:ID is the most successful Trek movie ever.  In terms of raw numbers, not adjusted for inflation, ST:ID out grossed ST:2009 by almost $70 million worldwide.  Not trying to start something here,  just presenting  the numbers.  

#52 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yep, if you measure success by the gross, it is. That link I gave on the previous page supports that.

if your looking at say, percentage ROI... then no.

for example, 453.7/190 = 2.38 RoI for ITD

following suite, and using the data on places like the numbers, here's the run down on ROI for all the films...

TMP    3.97

TWOK 8.06

TSFP   4.83

TVH     5.54

TFF     2.34

TUC    3.58

GEN   3.15

FC      3.26

INS     1.68

NEM    1.12

ST       2.75

So a "1" means you just broke even, and you can see how nothing comes close to TWOK for ROI. TFF really took the franchise down, and it never recovered, then INS and NEM were a coup de gra of sorts, and ST really brought it back, but I think execs were looking for ITD to build on that.

While ITD grossed more money... it wasn't as "profitable" as its predecessor.

#53 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

My point exactly. What would you consider more profitable, a deal where you got $8 dollars back for every $1 dollar you put in, or a deal where you get $2.38 back for every dollar you put in? Seems pretty simple to me. Into darkness has made only slightly more than TFF.

#54 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

yeah... as an investor I want the $8 thank you!

here's a Forbes article listing the most profitable 10 movies of 2013 thus far...

http://www.forbes.co...of-2013-so-far/

Looking at that list tells me one thing. Slasher films make money!

as block busters go... IM3 is the biggest on the list. 1.2 bil for a 200mil investment. earning $6 for every $1 invested.

#55 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

I think the thing that upsets fans of the new Trek is the fact that the "purists" are just done with Trek since probably TUC.... and instead of just admitting all they will accept is some miraculous secret vault discovery of a lost classic movie or lost episodes instead they sit on their thrones of superior fandom telling anyone who doesnt agree with them that Star Trek is dead. Just admit it guys...Star Trek is far from dead....just "your" Star Trek is dead!!!!

I think it bothers you that others can just let go and appreciate new ideas instead of having to watch the same episides and movies over and over again.....

#56 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

Oh....and for the record.... Harve Bennett is the man you guys should be calling to thank.... Because he usurped Gene after TMP...and was mainly responsible for TWOK, TSFS, and TVH.... Gene wanted to do a second expenIsive film based on the Guardian of Forever and the crew involved with JFKs assassination that would be much more cerebral like TMP. Harve came along and said Ill give you three block busters for the price of Gene's one sequel.... we all know what happened next....

My point with all this...Is yes we love trek...but the past wasnt some utopia where all Gene's ideas were the golden rule...and everything was perfect. There were politics and power shifts even during the original show and films.

Star Trek has always been like a big experiment with different writers, producers,etc.... the only thing that has been consistent is the huge fan base....and that is mainly because of Star Treks world wide syndication in the early 70s...it created a huge following.

#57 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

lol. That's a bit of prejudicial view of people that don't care for ITD!

I can easily turn that around and say, yeah! I wish I didn't have to watch the same movie e.g. "The Wrath of Khan - redux"! See what I did there? ITD is Wrath of Khan, so watching it is like watch the same movie over again :P

I go to movies all the time, and unfortunately, to me, most stuff is derivative. Its just rare when something with a fresh take comes along. I still enjoy most of them. Some are a bit too "lazy" to me, like IM3. I know its a huge hit and success, but it was really allot like IM2 to me.

For example, on my thumbs up list of 2013... Man Of Steel, Elysium, Kick Ass 2, The Wolverine, and *gasp* STITD!

On my thumbs down list, Pacific rim, G.I. Joe:Retaliation, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

That's not to say that I don't have issues with movies I give the thumbs up... I clearly have issues with ITD, but that didn't preclude me from recognizing it for what it was and enjoying it in that context. (I still don't like it as a Star Trek Movie though!)

#58 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Its not just ITD gothneo....before ITD it was 2009...before that it was any of the Berman "nonsense".... lets face it...unless its Shatner et all its not Trek. .

#59 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Ok, I get it, your talking about the general angst long time fans experience due to change.

Yep, When TNG came along, it was the end of the world, and then the same for DS9, Voy, etc...

Some things work, and some things don't! not every fan likes every series, or all the movies. I can agree, that JJ's Movies will be an "era" they will leave there mark and some will like it and some won't... but WE (people that sign on to trek forums) love to discuss it all I think!

There are any number of threads that talk about what could be done to revitalize the franchise in a way that would make it more profitable. My own opinion, is that Star Trek works best on the small screen, not at the movies, and movies should be "extras" to fans. I come to that conclusion when I look at the body of work... 12 movies, and really only 3 I consider really quite good, lots of mediocrity, and several real stinkers. 

I guess we were discussing whats the worst movie... and we kind of got off talking about different way to gauge a successful movie or a failure.

#60 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

Honestly when it comes to the movies I enjoyed them all. The one I think was the worst of the lot was ST5. But I still like to watch it for its absurdity and because its Star Trek. I don't get the hate for the new movies just like I didn't get the hate the last TNG movie got. Some people seem to have an idealized vision of what Star Trek is and can't enjoy anything other than that vision. It's sad but whatever.
When it comes to the TNG movies I am in the minority because my least favorite movie was First Contact. I loved Both Generations and Nemesis and really liked Insurrection. I thought both of the new movies were really great and are in fact real Star Trek. I think a lot of "fans" of Star Trek went into them with their minds made up already that they were not going o like them and with that mindset did nothing but pick them apart instead of seeing them with an open mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users