General Trek Movie Discussion & Review Thread

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#21 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

simply can not wait for May - seems as though this film has it nailed - i wonder if it'll be the largest grossing film of 2009??? the way the reviews have gone so far would suggest so. biggrin.gif

#22 Totalus_Kat

Totalus_Kat

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

I was browsing the interwebs more specifically youtube... and stumbled across this, I couldnt resist not posting it here.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

enjoy!

TK

#23 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

It works! That was actually pretty good.

#24 Marek

Marek

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

Returned from the Brussels' premiere of Star Trek !! Although not the allegoric sci-fi of yesteryear, the new Trek is an enjoyable, visually stunning, mind-numbing ...albeit (IMHO) mindless... summer blockbuster which successfully reboots the franchise (MINOR SPOILER - HIGHLIGHT TO READ -->)...via a less than original gimmick...(<--) in a style all its own...but nevertheless respectful of its origins. P.S. I recommend reading Star Trek Countdown.

#25 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:26 AM

Hey guys,

I know I haven't posted here in forever, but after last night I fel compelled too biggrin.gif

I went to the London premiere last night and I have to say I though the film was very good (although there were one or two things I wasn't too thrilled about!) I can't wait for the rest of you to see it so we can all have a mass discussion, but for now I'll remain tigh-lipped and spoiler-free hehe.

I will say this though - and I don't know if anybody else who has seen the film feels the same way - but Karl Urban's performance as McCoy was brilliant. I'm sure everyone will rave about Quinto's portrayal of Spock (and rightly so) but I was immensely impressed with Urban. From his look, to his mannerisms, to his accent - there were times when I had to remind myself that it wasn't DeForest Kelley playing McCoy, he was that good.

Next up is Star Trek at the IMAX for me - can't wait to see it again!

Oh, and if Jules still visits these boards, here's a little something for you - Clarkson, Hammond and May were also at the premiere last night as well. They were all mobbed on the way out - Hammond really is quite small lol.

#26 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

Not sure how much this will predict the film's performance, but Star Trek is outselling Wolverine (who is outselling Iron Man last year) by 25% in pre-sold tickets.
http://screenrant.co...sales-rob-6939/

I got my tickets to the IMAX screening at 7pm on Friday! Very excited. I saw Watchmen at IMAX and I think I'm going to try to catch all the big movies there when I can. It's a bit of a drive from where I am but it's worth it.

#27 Totalus_Kat

Totalus_Kat

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE (Will Riker @ Apr 21 2009, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, and if Jules still visits these boards, here's a little something for you - Clarkson, Hammond and May were also at the premiere last night as well. They were all mobbed on the way out - Hammond really is quite small lol.

Jules is around and hehe, I cant wait till May 8th they are finally showing the Star Trek adverts on SKY and I am getting a few goosebumps.

My partner doesnt want to see the film but I will drag him anyway, cos he's forcing me to watch DBZ dry.gif so seems like a fair trade off.

TK.

Sidenote: if your in the UK, The Entertainer (Toy store) has picked up the toy line from playmates if anyone is interested.

#28 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

I just won sneak preview tickets in our city newspaper's 'Biggest Trekkie' contest! I'll be seeing next Wednesday night! WOO HOO! I am way too excited....

Sallah

#29 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (sallah @ Apr 30 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just won sneak preview tickets in our city newspaper's 'Biggest Trekkie' contest! I'll be seeing next Wednesday night! WOO HOO! I am way too excited....

Sallah

Thats neat. I purchased a ticket for a 7pm showing next thursday, the day before it is officially released. I hope you arent seeing it at midnight or something like that, i would probably sleep through half of it.

#30 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

Nope, 7:30 Wednesday night...and it's IMAX!

Sallah

#31 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (sallah @ Apr 30 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, 7:30 Wednesday night...and it's IMAX!

Sallah

The nearest IMAX theater that i know in my area would be in Myrtle Beach. Thats a little further than i want to go.

#32 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

Congrats Sallah, me and some friends will be going Thurs at 7 to see it on IMAX.

#33 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

Not sure if the Onion Trek video has been posted yet.

#34 LocutusOfTuborg

LocutusOfTuborg

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

Just to let you all know,
saw a special preview of Trek this evening.
Here in Munich, they showed - for the previews - the only english version of the film germanywide.

It was so much fun to watch...
They balanced the character- and the actiondriven parts nicely!

--- simply gr8 ! -----

LoT

#35 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:12 AM

Okay, I am going to open this thread, but not give any spoilers as to the new movie since 99% of us hasn't seen it. My theatre ran it tonight and all I have to say is I'm floored. They do explain some of the major concerns that people have brought up about the movie, but I'm not going to say which ones. Also the homages to TOS are very much there and are well done! PAY CLOSE Attention to the accessories used on the Kelvin particularly Kirk's Belt and what Kirk's Mom uses. Or look REALLY close at his belt in this picture....notice anything semi familiar?? hehe!

http://img.trekmovie...t09_0507_09.jpg

My manager was skeptical of the movie, and after it was over said "Now I wanna see the next one".

For all of you who have tickets for the 7pm showing....prepare to be floored.

#36 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

Saw it 11.45am UK Time. Loved it. Wont give any info away except to say that Star Trek is a Changing....anything is now possible! Brilliant!

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

I'm still waiting for the critics to weigh in to get a general consensus and feel for how it's being received.

I like RottenTomatos.Com and oddly enough at the moment the Top Critics and Tomato Crits like it better then public! Which is usually only the case for more "artsy" or indie movies, so I'm a bit confused!

That being said if the current trend continues, the Top Critics will probably ultimately weigh in around an 80% score, which I think will be a huge success for a Trek Movie.

I looked at the archives, and most of the (well received) Trek movies, including WoK, SFS & TVH, came in around 80-85%

1st contact I think is the highest rated, and the only Trek movie to break the 90% range, and I think that probably deserved (though I like WoK a bit better myself!)

I'm hoping that this movie hits a stride of 85% or better, but if not, from the sounds of it, it will certainly set the stage for a sequel that could.

#38 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:26 AM

I think Star Trek is almost guaranteed to stay above 90 on RottenTomatoes. There are a ton or reviews in. More will come, but it's a little hard to believe it'll dip to the 80's. Worst case I think it might be 89 but I wouldn't be surprised if it maintained Iron Man levels of the mid-90's. Also, the user score is worthless. If you look at individual scores they are usually way too high or way too low. It's just fans and haters battling it out. Half of them probably haven't even seen it yet. metacritic also is giving it a very healthy score.

I have to wait until Friday to see it in IMAX. I'm really tempted to go tonight but I do think I'd like my first experience to be on the IMAX.

#39 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

It was at 87% for the top critics, but some more reviews have tallied in and now its at 93%, but it has never been above 80% for the "General Masses"

What I like to see is fairly small mean between them, this tells me everyone is pretty much in sync.

To use your example of Iron Man, it Has 93%, 92%, & 94% respectively for Tomato Critics, Top Critics, and RT Community.

Exactly what I'd expect, and nice tight std of dev and mean!

Star Trek current has less over all reviews in... on all accounts, so it could dip down more.

Now that's just one aspect of the data that RT gives you! that's your basic "Go/No Go" gauge. but the other guage is the actual over all rating. RT normalizes the review ratings to a 10 point system and gives you a gauge of how good it is.

Usually, the "Community" rates movies a bit higher then critics. Again, Iron Man was rated a 7.6 (out of 10) by the RT Critics whereas the community gave it a 8.6.

Oddly, in the case of Star Trek, it's currently flipped! The critics have weighed in at 8 out of 10, and the community is at 7.2 out of 10.

I think once the same number of reviews are in we'll probably see the "good gauge" level off around the same place as something like Iron man, but hopefully the Community guage comes up in line!

If it doesn't the, only thing I can surmise is that there are a ton of Trek "Purists" that are just that upset and they are purposefully trying to pull the score lower.

Anyhow, it looks promising, and like I said before anything above a 85% is a resounding success for the franchise IMO!

#40 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:03 PM

Let's discuss reviews of the movie here. It's the natural extension to this already existing thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users