CHILLS!

#4 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:26 PM

Im cautiously optimistic.

I didnt like TLJ as much as I expected to, so Im tempering my expectations this time so I hopefully wont be disappointed.

#5 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

My theory is that they red-shirted Snoke as the main villain because he was so ineffective (and CGI for no discernible reason), and are now bringing back Palpatine. But originally, Snoke was supposed to be the main villain. Because otherwise, what was the point of him at all? This smells of massive rewrites.

Bringing back Palpatine and Lando is fan service & crowdpleasing: The new characters weren't working out on their own, so for the final film to make any kind of impact they have to bring back Palpatine, Luke and even Lando.

I think this is Disney waving the white flag after two pretty significant duds, Solo and TLJ. I mean, they scrapped like 10 standalone films after Solo -- that's a pretty big kick in the shins. If this third film does well they might be more emboldened to do more with Star Wars, but the third one cannot be a dud, hence more original characters.

They also wasted a lot of screentime in TLJ doing very little to move the story along. Now it's like, "oh crap, we gotta wrap this up."

#6 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:11 AM

What Morgan said. This on smells desperate. Not interested. I'm dumbstruck however at how bland the costumes have become. They really looked at these designs and said "Yeah, that looks great"?

#7 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:54 PM

If Disney had actually planned out the trilogy, or let JJ do all three instead of giving Rian Episode 8, we may have a more cohesive story. 

Rian didn't want to follow the outline JJ set up for 8, and just did his own thing. Now JJ is trying to salvage his vision for the last part. 

Why Disney mismanaged one of the biggest movie franchises that exists is beyond me, all while also having the MCU being so cohesive and planned out. Its crazy how opposite these franchises have been handled by the same company. 

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:00 PM

I'm pretty sure "no plan" has been a hallmark of SW right from the get go. Making Darth Vader, Leia and Luke all related came about episode by episode. 

Some of lack of planning worked out, some not so much. IMO the franchise peaked with TESB... and had a 2nd peak of sorts with ROTS. 

But regardless of how bad it is... one way or another I'm sure to watch it. 

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:31 AM

I hope this one will redeem the Last Jedi but JJ Abrams has never done anything but disappoint me so I am not holding my breath. Abrams disappointed me with Alias, Lost, Star Trek and then The force awakens, so I doubt it will be any different now. I still hope it will be better than The Last Jedi. Don't see how it could be worse.

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:01 AM

Lol... I think Ep 1 was worse!  but its all relative. I guess JJ has his fans, but like you VF... I'm not one of them.. at least not in the creative areas like writing or directing. I think his talent is in producing... when he stays out of the overall creative process... and that seems to be where he gravitates... some of his productions are good... for example I see he's got lots of credits producing Westworld, which is pretty good.

#11 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 01:04 PM

I'm pretty sure "no plan" has been a hallmark of SW right from the get go. Making Darth Vader, Leia and Luke all related came about episode by episode. 

Some of lack of planning worked out, some not so much. IMO the franchise peaked with TESB... and had a 2nd peak of sorts with ROTS. 

But regardless of how bad it is... one way or another I'm sure to watch it. 

Even if Lucas himself didn't solely write the scripts, he was still the creative center behind all 6 movies. That's what made them feel cohesive. 

The sequels don't have that, and it shows.

I've got no issue with different directors or writers being involved with the movies, the issue is there is no creative consistently between them and both Rian and JJ are just doing their own thing. Who knows, maybe Episode IX will somehow make TLJ and to a lesser extent TFA better in the end, but I'm not super hopeful for it.

I'll be seeing IX opening night regardless.  

#12 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

Spoiler

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

Even if Lucas himself didn't solely write the scripts, he was still the creative center behind all 6 movies. That's what made them feel cohesive. 

The sequels don't have that, and it shows.

I don't agree.I think your giving TESB a pass simply because it was the original sequel... and it turned out it was a good idea. But Lucas  was involved in every movie afterwards (writer / director) ... so I'll give on that ground.  If you want to make the argument that because Lucas was the exec producer on TESB and therefore creatively involved, then JJ gets the same credit for TLJ... in which case then your left arguing that JJ can't offer any cohesion between two movies (with which I might just agree!!) In the end... my personal opinion is the collected works of Lucas, per Star Wars, reveals exactly what a hack he is (and I've said this many times before). The original is a delight... and TESB was great as well... ROTJ closed out the original trilogy... and that probably the best that can be said about that one. EP 1 and EPII are just disasters and ruin a lot of what made the original trilogy great.. so no on cohesion for me... I can recall when ROTS came out people were trying to defend Anikin's decision to turn to the dark side... saying things like who wouldn't do what he did to say the one he loved. But ROTS just showed Vader to be a coward and a wife beater. The prequels try to make him something of an Anti-Hero and people fell for it, but thats not at all cohesive with how he was introduced in Episode IV. 

Anyhow, as we all say, regardless... I'll bite... because as bad as the Prequels were... ROTS tied them up in an ok manner... and hopefully JJ will do the same wit hthis trilogy. 

#14 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:33 AM

TESB remains among the lowest grossing films of the franchise. It may be a fan favorite but, as with The Wrath of Khan, it was pretty mediocre at the box office.

I mean, they scrapped like 10 standalone films after Solo...

Huh? They've scrapped zero films. There were no standalone films planned, just two spinoff trilogies; one from Rian Johnson and another from David Benioff and Dan Weiss.

The lesson they learned from Solo was to not release one film a month after the last one has left theaters. They really need to give each movie a bigger window. It's not Marvel.

#15 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

I'm dumbstruck however at how bland the costumes have become. 

Kinda like all the Jedi wearing bathrobes in the prequels?

Kenobi's wardrobe made sense for a guy hiding out, blending in with the locals. Then suddenly bathrobes became the uniform for the Jedi Order. Good thing Kenobi hid someplace where everyone dressed like a wizard.  :rolleyes:

#16 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:18 PM

The scrapped at least the Obi-wan film didn't they?

They could release more films more often if they knew how to world build. But instead everything has to be about Vader or Palpatine or the handful of characters who went up against them and lived to tell about it.

#17 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:34 PM

They could release more films more often if they knew how to world build. But instead everything has to be about Vader or Palpatine or the handful of characters who went up against them and lived to tell about it.

And this I agree with... it just seemed like there was so much opportunity to expand on the SW universe... heck... they had so much material they could have pulled from even for the prequels... and it seems like it should have been easier for the sequel trilogy. 

#18 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:49 AM

Lucasfilm never announced an Obi-Wan film. 

The problem is that we get news of studios developing projects almost from conception. Sometimes it makes it to the big screen, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it gets drastically altered and becomes something else. Some blogger says "It's been scrapped!" and news sites run with it.

Per Disney:

“We have not announced any specific plans for movies thereafter. There are movies in development, but we have not announced them.”

#19 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:56 AM

I'm just thankful for Dave Filoni and his TV shows. The Clone Wars, and Rebels were both great shows, that really helped expand on the universe. TCW's in particular helped improve the Prequels by making the characters from them far more interesting than the movies themselves did. I haven't really watched Resistance yet, so can't really comment on it. 

The Mandalorian also looks interesting from what they showed at celebration, and with Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni involved with it, I'm very hopeful for the series. 

The movies are the thing I'm least interested in at this point, which is odd for a franchise that was mainly movies up until relatively recently.  

#20 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:04 PM

The animated series – both Filoni's and Genndy Tartakovsky's – were the best part of the prequel trilogy. As much as Lucas didn't want Star Wars becoming Star Trek, it's done pretty well as episodic television. Hopefully the live-action shows will be just as satisfying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users