• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 andorian_fan

andorian_fan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:32 PM

http://trekmovie.com...-style-figures/

Pike and the Salt Vampire look pretty good, but the ladies... yeesh.

#2 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

Pathetic, sloppy, lazy, cheap-looking figures. How the mighty have fallen. These are a slap in the face to Star Trek fans. For DST to go from a company that put out some of the most realistically sculpted Star Trek figures ever like their wave 1 McCoy, "Trials and Tribble-Ations" Dax, and Kor to these abominations is mind-boggling. These figures are proof of how little they care about the quality of their Star Trek figures anymore. Them putting out these instead of that masterpiece of an "Enemy Within" Kirk is laughable. Like trading a corvette for something out of a junkyard.

#3 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

You guys actually believe these are the real deal?
Honestly, Pike is a Resin head, he will not look exactly like that. The uniform may even be a first attempt.
Salt monster is probably one of the Dr. Mego customs, as it has a full costume made.
Vina and Chapel are repaints of existing figures, the costumes are the only real thing shown.

When they first showed Sulu and Chekov, they were both so far removed from the existing figures, I did not want to get them. When they were actually released they were much better. I think if you want to see what they would really look like, check out the site and see the customs, that is what is going to be released. Sorry I forget the user that is making the figures happen. I am sure you will like the actual presentation when it arrives. Relax

I would state that I would rather see the protos of the 7" figures made, then these Mego like ones, any day!

#4 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

I have to agree with Quadrotritacale very much on this.
But, then again I'm sorry I just never much of a Mego fan. I loved the 12" TMP figures they did. But I think Playmates 9" are far more better than Mego stuff. I mean look at that Kirk, excellent likeness. Especially Generations Kirk.

#5 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

Mego figures have their own style and that is the selling point for this line. They are separate and removed from the normal line. If you are not into the Mego style, then these figures are not for you. Some people like the style and some people like the nostalgia attached to the Mego style figures. Different strokes for different folks. If you don't like the Mego figures, what are you doing in the Mego section? Obviously the initial waves of Mego figures have sold well enough to warrant another wave. Good for the Mego collectors. I'm sorry for all those people who collect the regular line and I'm sorry for the fact that the regular line isn't performing well enough to warrant regular releases. But let's not ruin things for those who might like and collect the Mego figures and might be excited for these releases.

And yes, I collected the regular line, and no, I don't collect the Mego line. But I don't want to step on the toes of those who like and buy the Mego figures just because something I do collect isn't being made and something I don't collect is. Everyone has their day in the sun and they deserve the right to enjoy that day. Mego collectors are enjoying a resurgence in their favorite toy line. Let them enjoy it and wait for your own day to come and hope that when it does, other people aren't so quick to trample on your joy.

#6 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:14 PM

I am one of those Mego collectors that is happy about the possible releases of these four figures. I am pretty sure that as others have said, they will look a lot different when the final product comes out. I am sad about the 7" figure delays and cancelations too, so i understand the frustration there. I guess i am happy to just be getting SOMETHING this year.

I have not been frustrated with the Kirk/Spock two packs and reissues that much because i am getting my Spock figures, but i do feel the drought of no other new characters being released and that does make me sad. I want the TRU Romulan,Romulan Commander,Rand and Chapel, Sick bay McCoy,Wraparound Kirk,Romulan Kirk/Fascinating Spock,WNMHGB Kirk and Spock, Salt Vampire,Kruge and Maltz, Borgs,Sisko and Dax in Season 1 uniform and Dukat. I want them! I WANT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

I liked Mego, back in the 70's.

#8 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:34 AM

Chuck mentioned that TNG Retro Mego figures have been planned out but they will have to see how the other retro figures do this year before they do any TNG.

#9 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:43 AM

But don't the Mego Retro outsell the normal figures?

#10 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ May 20 2010, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But don't the Mego Retro outsell the normal figures?

I would think so, because casual buyers that arent even Star Trek collectors would buy them just for nostalgia so it seems like there is a wider demographic there.

#11 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ May 19 2010, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chuck mentioned that TNG Retro Mego figures have been planned out but they will have to see how the other retro figures do this year before they do any TNG.

He did????

Sweet merciful crap that would be awesome!!

#12 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:19 AM

I like them because they're different more then they're retro. I mean the mainline figures are great but after awhile they all start to look the same. The retro stand out as a bold move to me to make something old yet new at the same time and IMO is the reason that they sell. I'd bet a $20 that a set of retro TNG's would out sell their more fancy modern counterparts.

#13 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

Ok , I took the plunge and ordered an EMCE Mego Klingon figure tonight . I do perfer the sclupted figures, but the Klingon Mego does look pretty cool, I might order a Kirk and Spock later on if I enjoy the Klingon.

#14 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

My Mego Klingon arrived today, and I love it! cool.gif

#15 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (Commodore Kor'Tar @ Jun 14 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Mego Klingon arrived today, and I love it! cool.gif

If you want to love that figure even more, I suggest upgrading the body to Zica.

http://www.zicatoys.com/

or check out the ones that I upgraded to the Zica Z-Body:

http://s756.photobuc...iles73/Brandon/

#16 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

Those bodies look pretty cool on the site but i see no place to place an order for a replacement body. Am I just blind?

#17 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

I am a member of the forums at megomuseum, and I just ordered from another member there. I sent him a PM and when I get an address where you can send an inquiry I'll post it here.

#18 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

They got back with me really fast. I believe they sale these for $10.00 and they are really cool, no rubber bands holding them together and they come with three sets of hands. You can contact them here:

craig@zicatoys.com

#19 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jul 7 2010, 04:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want to love that figure even more, I suggest upgrading the body to Zica.
http://www.zicatoys.com/

That's interesting.

I don't think I would bother changing the bodies for the hell of it, but it's good to know I can get really nice replacement bodies if anything happens to my Retro's.

Thanks for all the info bgiles.

#20 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Jul 6 2010, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's interesting.

I don't think I would bother changing the bodies for the hell of it, but it's good to know I can get really nice replacement bodies if anything happens to my Retro's.

Thanks for all the info bgiles.

No problem. That's what I like so much about Mego-style figures. I've been checking out the forums at megomuseum.com and it's just amazing all the options out there for this type of figure. With DST adding Universal Monsters, Bif Bang Pow bringing Twilight Zone and Flash Gordon, Spectre Toys doing Dark Shadows, Zica bringing Buck Rogers, and finally Mattel adding DC super heroes there really is alot of options for customs. You guys need to become members of the megomuseum.com forums too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users