• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

I've now been to a couple of TRU and one WalMart and all three (especially the TRUs) are clogged with a ton of Playmates and DST Trek stuff that's not moving. How does this bode for the future of Trek toys in stores?

#2 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

Not sure. It's really hard to tell with the DST line because the first wave seemed to sit, but then completely sold out when wave 2 came out. Now the only wave 1 figures the stores around me have left were damaged ones. It'd be best to wait about a month or two to determine if wave 2 is pegwarming.

The Playmates definitely seem to be sitting, though. Especially the 3 3/4".

#3 QuePaso?

QuePaso?

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Jul 1 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How does this bode for the future of Trek toys in stores?

Excellent question. My local stores were selling figures, ships and playsets at a good clip for awhile. Now they are all just sitting there. Especially at TRU.

Every toy aisle I visit is overrun with Transformers.

I don't expect to see wave 2 in too many B&M stores, if any. There's too much wave 1 product out there. I hope some of it makes it b/c wave 2 for both 3.75" and 6" has a much more interesting assortment of figures than wave 1.

#4 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:49 PM

Sales starting to slow down here as well. But I think that's pretty normal for a movie line. It has been almost two months since the movie came out. You would expect sales immediately after the movie to swing upward then, as something new comes along (in this case TF2), then sales were bound to slow down. When the DVD comes out in a couple of months, I'm sure it will cause another, albeit smaller, upswing. I've said before I don't think the line will go too far past wave 3. But that's still pretty good considering most movie lines don't go past one wave.

#5 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

Well, they're sold out at Wal-Mart and Target only has a few pegs left of them. TRU seems to have a good amount still though. But usually it seems to be the same few characters. I guess it's not too surprising, as has been said. That being said... is ANYTHING selling in other people's stores? I feel like the toy aisles are mostly untouched these days. The new TF toys seem to be barely selling to people. Maybe people just aren't buying much of anything like that right now.

#6 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

While I am not a fan of the new movie, and not collecting the Playmates line, I do hope it does well, to maybe help DST sales.

The Walmart in my area, pegs are full of Playmates. The TRU has full pegs of Playmates, but the only DST are some Amok Time 2 packs.

Maybe the producers should have tried harder for a PG rating instead of an PG-13? it might have gotten more kids in the seats, which is the toy market of course. I know Transformers is PG-13, but is established already in kids minds.

#7 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

Soft economy, people are cutting back on luxuries, it's to be expected as well. Considering that, Trek has done extremely well.

TF2 just came out, so it may take a couple of weeks to see an upswing in the sale of the movie line. It took a couple of weeks for Trek to catch on as well. And, in any case, TF toys are always in stores even without a movie, so I don't think people are rushed to get them nor does it seem "new" or "fresh" when people see the movie line on shelves. Trek had the advantage of being off the shelves of the B&M market for a few years, so finally seeing it on pegs was refreshing and eye-catching.

#8 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

Toys don't seem to be selling much at all I can't believe all The Dark Knight stuff still sitting on shelves! There's still a ton of GI Joe 25th Anniversary figures sitting in my local Wal Mart, as well as Iron Man and Hulk from last summer. None of this stuff has really moved well for the last couple of years. Even Hasbro's almighty Star Wars appears to be at a stand still. I have no worries. Playmates says that their sales have been good enough for them to warrant another wave and I'll wager that Paramount will probably have a pretty good marketing campain to push the DVD release around Christmas! So there might be hope for future waves.

#9 KirkPR1

KirkPR1

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:EVERYTHING STAR TREK

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

Well here in Puerto Rico no Walmart brought them the only two stores are Toys RUs and K-mart and the ones that are pegwarmers are the 6 inche ones the others the 3.75 are always coming and going
I had to wait at least 2 weeks for the last one Nero (3.75") and I found it last sunday and because we went to the customer service desk and theyed checked the inventory and they got a box out and by
chance there was one.

#10 hcmv007

hcmv007

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:07 AM

Actually, most of the product has moved quite well down here in BR. I have found that in our city, both our Targets and Toy's R Us carry the lines, and one of our Wal-Mart's do as well. The Transformer lines are not moving b/c of the price-Playmates Star Trek line on the other hand is priced quite well, and has been just as popular with local collectors as the Star Wars line. The 3.75 inch line is the best sellers, while the 6 and 12 inch lines have taken the most space. The harder to find figures for Wave 1 (Like Cadet Uhura in the 6 inch line) are easy finds now, but just try to find a 3.75 inch SPock or Uhura and you are up a creek without a paddle. I talked to a couple of stockers at various stores (TRU, Target) and they were surprised the ST line was doing well.

Now for DST-I really can't say. I like the looks, and the detail, but I don't know if I will buy. Yet.

#11 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (hcmv007 @ Jul 5 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, most of the product has moved quite well down here in BR. I have found that in our city, both our Targets and Toy's R Us carry the lines, and one of our Wal-Mart's do as well. The Transformer lines are not moving b/c of the price-Playmates Star Trek line on the other hand is priced quite well, and has been just as popular with local collectors as the Star Wars line. The 3.75 inch line is the best sellers, while the 6 and 12 inch lines have taken the most space. The harder to find figures for Wave 1 (Like Cadet Uhura in the 6 inch line) are easy finds now, but just try to find a 3.75 inch SPock or Uhura and you are up a creek without a paddle. I talked to a couple of stockers at various stores (TRU, Target) and they were surprised the ST line was doing well.

Now for DST-I really can't say. I like the looks, and the detail, but I don't know if I will buy. Yet.

That city wouldn't by any chance be Baton Rouge?

#12 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:34 PM

Yeah, because here in WA State these guys are either in the clearance aisle or on a endcap in the toy department. Both these and the Terminator stuff seem to be clogging the shelves. The only place I'm noticing DST is at TRU and they seem to be in limited supply, depending on the location here. Some stores actually still have the big Darth Maul DST made, which I think is cool. I just don't like the size of him myself.

#13 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (The_Donster @ Jul 5 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, because here in WA State these guys are either in the clearance aisle or on a endcap in the toy department. Both these and the Terminator stuff seem to be clogging the shelves. The only place I'm noticing DST is at TRU and they seem to be in limited supply, depending on the location here. Some stores actually still have the big Darth Maul DST made, which I think is cool. I just don't like the size of him myself.

Where in WA state do you live? I have been to Puget Sound, near Bremerton, and Seattle. I have seen the Darth Maul at TRU here too, i dont think they are selling at all. I have seen them at internet retailers marked way down to get rid of them. I t looks good, but i am not a Darth Maul fan. Now if they had made a Darth Vader instead of Darth Maul, i doubt you would see any of them in stores or marked down anywhere. I dont know why DST makes the decisions it does with figures they make, because they seem outright dumb sometimes and i can visualize them stting there at the office scratching their heads wondering why sales are so poor. How about asking your customers what they want, or at least read a forum like this occasionally.

#14 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:59 AM

Star Trek around here is still selling as well as other toy lines. Heck, in my area even Marvel Universe figures are not selling that fast anymore (of course at $7.99 to $9.99 for MU I can understand).

#15 Kyle_C_Haight

Kyle_C_Haight

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

I always get gypped out around here. The store I work at doesn't carry the new Star Trek figures. The nearest Toys 'R us doesn't carry any DST Trek stuff, either. Real shame. Last time I checked out other stores, though, there wasn't a whole lot of Trek figures left, just one phaser, one communicator, and a couple of transporters and bridges.

#16 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

They all moved pretty quickly here with the exception of one Wal Mart that stuck them on an obscure endcap from the get go.

#17 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:48 PM

VF, we actually live in Fife WA. It's in between Federal Way and Tacoma, near Puyallup. I think Darth Maul was a great character to start with, I just think that TRU isn't sending their shipments evenly. When I worked for the flagship store, we received a majority of the merchandise, while the lesser traveled stores received next to nothing. I've only seen him in Olympia and Bellevue at this point. I think their next characters are Anakin and Mace Windu, but they take so long to mark things down it's ridiculous (too tired to spell check). They still have the BMF Millenium Falcon and I bought that on clearance at Wal Mart after the holidays.

#18 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

I stopped a Target on my lunch hour today. Star Trek is still selling well. Right next to them were Terminator toys on clearance and Wolverine was on clearance as well. Along with DCIH & JLU. The only things not clearanced were Trek, GIJoe movie, & MU. I think that bodes well for my area at least.

#19 tanda1701

tanda1701

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

Still a lot of Star Trek Playmates figures in the TRU in Silverdale (Bremerton) WA

#20 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:13 AM

Lets look at a comparison to the rest of the toy aisle.... The only stuff moving is brand new stuff that just hits. Anything that has been out for over a month is just siting there or moving really slow. Its true of Star Wars, DC, Marvel, WWE, GIJoe, basically every toy line. Its very hard to just look at Trek and say "oh theres a lot of stuff left they must be pegwarmers" when every line is like that right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users