• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 FlaBat

FlaBat

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:59 PM

I had not seen any pictures to compare the old vs. new Playmates Enterprise, so I shot a couple tonight.

To me they are about the same size, so I guess they are in the same scale.

#2 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:25 AM

Guess i will always like the TOS ship the best....

#3 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

Hey all,

It's probably jusst me, but I actually prefer the new one.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#4 FlaBat

FlaBat

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:56 AM

I like them both, but I like the original one better. I'm glad they did not go too far in the redesign of the Enterprise

#5 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:02 AM

I like the new one a lot better. I know they were trying to keep the feel the same but if I were to "reboot" the series then I would gone a bit further with changing the style of the saucer as well.

#6 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

The are aspects of the TOS that I wouldn't mind an update on (i.e. the deflector shield and some of the overall detailing), but I still prefer it over the new one.

#7 KirkPR1

KirkPR1

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:EVERYTHING STAR TREK

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:37 AM

Love them both

#8 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

I prefer the original as well. Cleaner, simpler, more elegant. The refit was the perfect example of how to update the ship and make it more detailed, but not unnecessarily busy. It kept the Enterprise clean, simple, and elegant. I'm just not into the new suped-up, revved-up hot rod look of the new Enterprise.

#9 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

Original hands down for me. Still a beauty after all these years...and the influence for every ship to come after her....

Sallah

#10 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

Hey, I'll give ya a hint when hanging your ships.....use Fishing line....the thread is REALLY sturdy and clear for the most part, you can't really see it =)

#11 wraith1701

wraith1701

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Reading & writing sci-fi, scale model building, action figure customization, other geeky stuff.

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (FlaBat @ Jun 30 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had not seen any pictures to compare the old vs. new Playmates Enterprise, so I shot a couple tonight.

Very nice photos, FlaBat. Thank you for sharing! smile.gif

To me they are about the same size, so I guess they are in the same scale.

I wish; but unfortunately, they aren't. The new E is about 3 times the size of the TOS E. If you compare the size of the bridge dome on each of the ships, and take into account the size of the main viewscreen/window located on the front of the new E bridge deck, the new E comes out a lot larger than the TOS.

John Eaves, one of the conceptual art guys who worked at ILM for the new film, was a guest at Wonderfest a few months back. He confirmed that the new Enterprise is considerably larger than the original.

#12 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

Personally, I place the new Enterprise in the same scale as the TOS Enterprise. Bernd Schneider has a great write-up about it. http://www.ex-astris...omment.htm#size

#13 wraith1701

wraith1701

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Reading &amp; writing sci-fi, scale model building, action figure customization, other geeky stuff.

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Jul 2 2009, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I place the new Enterprise in the same scale as the TOS Enterprise. Bernd Schneider has a great write-up about it. http://www.ex-astris...omment.htm#size

Yeah, I'm a fan of the site; lots of cool ship info. And I've followed his updates since the size issue first hit the fan a while back; he makes some pretty good points.

I'm sort of in your camp Jedigreedo. ILM has released several conflicting figures for the dimensions of the new E, but all place it at larger than the TOS. But some of the numbers seem a little too extreme, and conflict with what my eyes tell me when I watch the film.

In my own private little Trek universe, I consider the new E to be larger than the Refit, but not as large as some of the numbers indicate. Definitely not as long as a Sovereign class.

#14 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

None of this debate about the size of the ship will make me loose any sleep. Nor will it interfere with me enjoying any of the past, present or future Trek shows. It would make for an interesting episode plot inclusion in a future episode of "The Big Bang Theory"! Man, the Shat or Leonard Nimoy need to do a guest spot on that show!

#15 FlaBat

FlaBat

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Jul 2 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was a great link and lots of useful information. I still do not think that new Enterprise is that much larger than the original. Certainly not as long as Enterprise D or E.

#16 CanOpener1256

CanOpener1256

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:anything Star Trek, especially ship models from Art Asylum and others.

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

If it were as big as shown in that diagram, the windows would be huge. Right now, they appear to be the same size as the original. So if it were indeed as big as the E, those windows would comprise several decks each. Anyway, the original trailer had welders on the ship. They were about the same size as the away team in Star Trek the motion picture. So I think the ships are reasonably the same size.

QUOTE (FlaBat @ Jul 3 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was a great link and lots of useful information. I still do not think that new Enterprise is that much larger than the original. Certainly not as long as Enterprise D or E.

#17 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:36 AM

To me , it all boils down to the windows and docking ports . They are basically the same size on both ships . now in the sequal if they show Kirk orSpock or someone else in their quarters and have them gaze out a window thats 30 foot tall I'll begrudgenly accept the huge ship size, but as for right now , it's about the same size or a tad larger than the refit in my mind .

#18 FlaBat

FlaBat

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Agreed. If it was larger than Enterprise D or E then it would not have been built on the ground on Earth as they show in the film

http://www.ex-astris...onsterprise.jpg

#19 Sovereign23

Sovereign23

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:56 AM

Something bugs me about Playmates 2009 Enterprise; is it just me or does the new toy drains battery power very VERY fast? I've bought new Energizer batteries for it and have only been activating the lights and sound features for about 4 times a day (total 16 times), then the battery went dead...

Just wondering if this is true since my AA/DST Enterprises (NX-01, -A, -E and the new -D) still have battery juice even though theyve been played with much more than the Playmates Ent..

#20 hcmv007

hcmv007

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:08 AM

Use Duracell.

I got the ship a few months ago-use about 3 times a day/avg and I haven't had to change it yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users