Photo

Playmates on course to get the Entire Star Trek Liscense???

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:49 PM

The only way Playmates could tempt me into significantly buying into their line is if they did DS9 playsets. Oh, and a runabout would be nice too.

#22 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

They made a Runabout already....they wouldn't go and make another one I don't think.

#23 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

If they had no desire to redo and resculpt what they did in the first line, then why even bother pursuing the license for the other Treks? There isn't all that much stuff left that they didn't do the first time. I don't think anything in the previous line would affect what the make for the new line. It's not like people can run out to TRU or Wal-Mart to get the old Runabout. And, these would be scaled to the 3 3/4" line and not the old 4.5" line, so it would be different.

#24 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (BadBunnyMike @ Jun 6 2009, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They made a Runabout already....they wouldn't go and make another one I don't think.

They made TMNT figures back in the 80's that they just saw fit to remake from exactly the same molds, same packaging and everything. I dont think they would dismiss any of the Trek tuff just because they made one already.

#25 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

Be nice if they did get the license & then dust off the molds for the TOS Bridge playset and the 6 inch TOS figures and make those!

-cs

#26 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:58 AM

So, I have this fantasy of what Playmates could do for TNG if they did get the license back. And yes, I realize that if THIS is a fantasy of mine...I could really use a better imagination...BUT...I picture a similar release to the Movie figures. I think that kind of splash would be necessary to kick off this new direction. This is what I picture.

In order to entice AA/DST collectors, they need to provide variety, so I would imagine instead of starting at season 7 like DST, they could start at season 1. So, wave one would be the "Encounter at Farpoint" wave.

Wave One (3 3/4" and 6"): Picard, Riker, Data, Troi (in skirt), LaForge, Worf, Crusher, Wes, Yar, Judge Q; (12") Picard, Data, Yar, Judge Q; Playset Bridge, Phaser, Starship with lights, sound, and separation abilities

If they sell well, they can continue into Season Two, add aliens, and by the time they get to the season 3-7 uniforms people will be more inclined to purchase them again to keep this collection intact. Or they could also do a similar release for DS9, VOY, ENT, "Trek Prime" and then switch over to a legacy line once the crews are complete. I see great potential here. I hope they do too and I hope that AA/DST is willing to relinquish or share the license to allow this.

DS9 "Emissary" Wave One (3 3/4" and 6"): Sisko, Jadzia, Kira, Odo, Bashir, O'Brien, Quark, Jake, Gul Dukat; (12") Sisko, Kira, Odo, Dukat; Playset Ops, Cardassian Phaser, Station
VOY "Caretaker" Wave One (3 3/4" and 6"): Janeway, Chakotay, Tuvok, Paris, Torres, Kim, EMH, Neelix, Kes, Caretaker (12") Janeway, Chakotay, EMH, Caretaker; Playset Bridge, Phaser, Starship with lights, sound, and moving nacelle abilities
ENT "Broken Bow" Wave One (3 3/4" and 6"): Archer, T'Pol, Tucker, Sato, Reed, Mayweather, Phlox, Forrest, Soval, Silik (12") Archer, T'pol, Tucker, Silik Q; Playset Bridge, Phaser, Starship with lights, sound
TOS "The Man Trap" Wave One (3 3/4" and 6"): Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Sulu, Rand, Scott, Chekov, Chapel (I know they weren't all there), Salt Vampire (12") Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Salt Vampire; Playset Bridge, Phaser, Starship with lights, sound

Sigh...see what happens when my husband leaves town?

#27 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:39 AM

As much as i would love to see TNG figures back in Walmart, its definitely just a fantasy right now. Anything is possible, but without any new TNG tv or movies coming out, it would be a stretch to think Walmart would put them on their shelves. Now down the road if Playmates got the license to make them and there was extraordinary sales of Star Trek figures going on then Walmart may be interested, but thats a big if....

#28 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:55 AM

This is true. DST has made their entire line available to TRU, but stores have only chosen to stock TOS releases and not TNG or DS9. So, even if Playmates gets the license for the entire franchise there is no guarantee stores will want to stock anything other than TOS and the new Abrams Trek items and that could effect what actually gets the green light for production. And that would just put us in the same boat we are in now.

#29 pawpal

pawpal

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Jun 6 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way Playmates could tempt me into significantly buying into their line is if they did DS9 playsets. Oh, and a runabout would be nice too.

I would kiss the feet of whomever at Playmates were to make that happen! tongue.gif

#30 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Jun 8 2009, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is true. DST has made their entire line available to TRU, but stores have only chosen to stock TOS releases and not TNG or DS9. So, even if Playmates gets the license for the entire franchise there is no guarantee stores will want to stock anything other than TOS and the new Abrams Trek items and that could effect what actually gets the green light for production. And that would just put us in the same boat we are in now.

This is true, but at the same time Mattel is including the Enterprise D in their line up and Johhny Lightning and Furuta all included Next Generation ships in their lines. Those Next Generation ships sold pretty well. I think its all in how these things are marketed! I think DST didn't run in to problems with The Next Generation until they got to the secondary characters, thats when things kind of fell apart. All brands suffer with pegwarmers over time, as a collector of Star Wars for pretty much my whole life time I've seen this happen many times before. I can guarantee it that if DST only did two-packs with every variation of Data, Picard,7 of 9 and Worf the four most recognized characters of the 24th century era, these would be selling through too. Maybe, Playmates by getting whole crews done in a single wave would be able to avoid low sales in this way! It wouldn't hurt to have a few adversary figures and aliens to keep the interest there, an area DST unfortunately falls short in.

#31 billytrek

billytrek

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:14 PM

I'm starting to have doubts about everything, including future waves of Galaxy series figures. I hate to be so pessimistic, but I get the hunch these things are not selling well at all. It really sucks because I wanted this line to be a huge success! I mean, there are two Walmarts, one TRU, one target, and two Kmarts near me. In each of these stores you'll find plenty Star Trek 09 figures. I mean, they're all over the place. I don't know why. Makes me cringe. Because this movie is such a success, I thought these figs would fly off the shelves. But, no, they're all warming pegs around me. I shudder to think if this movie flopped; maybe they'd give them away or something. I think if new waves were really to come out in August, we'd see some protos by now. Maybe show us a new accessory for the bridge or something. Throw us a bone! Due to the "poor" sales of these figs, I think they may say screw figures for the upcoming movies. And that would not be good at all.

Oh, well, I hate to be so cynical, but I'm usually right about these things. Just last month I predicted that Terminator 4 would be a huge hit. Also, predicted that Calvin Borel would win his own Triple Crown!

#32 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (billytrek @ Jun 8 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because this movie is such a success, I thought these figs would fly off the shelves. But, no, they're all warming pegs around me. I shudder to think if this movie flopped; maybe they'd give them away or something.

The problem Trek has is that it's not that kid friendly. It is a movie for teenagers, and while it may be popular with that crowd, that crowd also doesn't buy many toys. They need a successful TV show in order to create a successful toy line, and it has to be one that parents will want to watch with their kids. That'll get the little ones involved who'll in turn kick up the toy sales.

#33 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:06 PM

What would be good is an animated show on the Cartoon Network set in Kirk's era. Something like the Clone Wars animation style would be good!

#34 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:20 PM

I'm not a fan of the Clone Wars style animation.

I also don't care for the playmates 4" line. they just aren't my thing, so I really wouldn't get behind playmates products if they just re-issued the same style figures again...

If DST can only make money by re-releasing the core TOS crew over and over in different packaging, I'm ok with that as long as we get a few new items like the Rand & Chapel every now & then.

Of course it's he new stuff I'll be buying then... I don't need the re-issues!

#35 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jun 8 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can guarantee it that if DST only did two-packs with every variation of Data, Picard,7 of 9 and Worf the four most recognized characters of the 24th century era, these would be selling through too.

But everyone one around here would be complaining endlessly about how repetitive the line is.

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jun 8 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is true, but at the same time Mattel is including the Enterprise D in their line up and Johhny Lightning and Furuta all included Next Generation ships in their lines. Those Next Generation ships sold pretty well.

Ships are a completely different animal than figures. All the ships that DST have released have done extremely well. That's why they are trying to go full steam on production of the ships and why the past starship releases often see second runs. Just about anyone who cares to buy any kind of collectible is willing to buy ships. A "model" is something anyone can display and not have it look like a kid's toy shelf. The same can't be said of figures. A lot of adults aren't willing to buy figures as they think it is "kiddie". Ships and role-play don't suffer as much from that kind of stigma.

QUOTE (billytrek @ Jun 8 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think if new waves were really to come out in August, we'd see some protos by now. Maybe show us a new accessory for the bridge or something. Throw us a bone!

They are probably just waiting to unveil them at SDCC.

#36 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

Id pass on a line made up of just the main characters. Thats not what made playmates successful, its not what made Marvel Legends successful, I actually cant think of one hugely successful toyline that stuck to only main characters.

Id love to see a Starfleet Academy series done.

#37 KirkPR1

KirkPR1

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:EVERYTHING STAR TREK

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jun 8 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Id love to see a Starfleet Academy series done.

That would be great idea.

#38 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Jun 4 2009, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just don't want to see DST get pushed out as they have truly raised the bar on what can be done with items like the ships and Trek Tek and really deserve the chance to continue improving and innovating.

I think you're giving DST the credit for AA's achievements.

#39 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (billytrek @ Jun 8 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm starting to have doubts about everything, including future waves of Galaxy series figures. I hate to be so pessimistic, but I get the hunch these things are not selling well at all. It really sucks because I wanted this line to be a huge success! I mean, there are two Walmarts, one TRU, one target, and two Kmarts near me. In each of these stores you'll find plenty Star Trek 09 figures. I mean, they're all over the place. I don't know why. Makes me cringe. Because this movie is such a success, I thought these figs would fly off the shelves. But, no, they're all warming pegs around me. I shudder to think if this movie flopped; maybe they'd give them away or something. I think if new waves were really to come out in August, we'd see some protos by now. Maybe show us a new accessory for the bridge or something. Throw us a bone! Due to the "poor" sales of these figs, I think they may say screw figures for the upcoming movies. And that would not be good at all.

Oh, well, I hate to be so cynical, but I'm usually right about these things. Just last month I predicted that Terminator 4 would be a huge hit. Also, predicted that Calvin Borel would win his own Triple Crown!

I think it just depends on where you live. Around my area the figures have sold well and even restocked and sold again. I admit I wasn't too sold on the 3 3/4" figures until I bought one. Now I love them and the possibilities that go w/ them. No the likeness are not great but neither were the Star Wars figures in the beginning and there could be some improvements but it's great having this size Star Trek figures. My only gripe so far is the little Nero's elbows bend more than the crews adding to his poseability. I wish they all went 90 degrees.

#40 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (billytrek @ Jun 8 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe a PG rating instead of PG 13 might have help gotten more kiddies in the seats. Some people are mindful of what their children watch. in turn more toys would be sold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users