Photo

Playmates on course to get the Entire Star Trek Liscense???

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Chris

Chris

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

Hey!

A few days ago I e-mailed Playmates to ask what the chances were of them producing Star Trek items from all TV shows and movies, and here is the response I just got, thought it might be of interest to fellow collectors. -

Hello, what are the chances of you producing Trek figures from all the TV Shows and movies, fingers crossed that will be a possibility...

--------------------------

We are keeping our fingers crossed too. that would be great if we could continue the line from the start again.

Thank you & Regards, Paula Billingsley

Consumer Service

Playmates Toys Inc.

-------------------------

#2 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

I hope not. Their work on the movie stuff hasn't left me with the greatest confidence in them. Even if they were well done, though, I don't think I would collect them. The DST collection has come too far and I don't want to start all over again.

However, I wouldn't mind them sub-licensing Trek from DST in order to do a 3 3/4" line while DST covers 6", Trek Tek and ships.

#3 KirkPR1

KirkPR1

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:EVERYTHING STAR TREK

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

I agree DST is better, but if Playmates make a Classics comeback like TMNT I would buy them also.

#4 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

I would NOT want to see a return to the 4.5" scale at any cost. Ive left that behind and dont want to return. However, a new 3 3/4" line would be fantastic. A 6" line im not so sure about. I havent been enamored with the poses or the articulation in that scale and I dont think the rest of the shows would translate well into that style.

#5 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jun 4 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would NOT want to see a return to the 4.5" scale at any cost. Ive left that behind and dont want to return. However, a new 3 3/4" line would be fantastic. A 6" line im not so sure about. I havent been enamored with the poses or the articulation in that scale and I dont think the rest of the shows would translate well into that style.

Hey all,

Couldn't have said it better myself. If they were to do ALL the crews in 3 3/4 scale, I'm all for it. Just not the 6". They could carry on with the 12" but I would rather they didn't repeat what they've already done.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#6 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:26 PM

Keep in mind this isn't 1992-99.

Improvements in mold design and technology ie for role play etc.

Guaranteed better distribution, granted stores that would carry it that is, you never know...

-cs

#7 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

I haven't been too impressed with most of the movie line, so I wouldn't want Playmates to get the license. I found the Playmates 6" line, ship, and role-play lacking compared to DST's work. The 3 3/4" were decent, but I've seen a lot better as well. I've been very happy with DST for the most part and I would prefer to stay with that line. Playmates has not shown me anything in the movie line that would take my business away from DST.

I wasn't a big fan of the original Playmates line either. Hated the style, articulation, basically everything about the figures. The ships were clunky and the role-play were always way off in one odd way or another.

#8 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (Chris @ Jun 4 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey!

A few days ago I e-mailed Playmates to ask what the chances were of them producing Star Trek items from all TV shows and movies, and here is the response I just got, thought it might be of interest to fellow collectors. -

Hello, what are the chances of you producing Trek figures from all the TV Shows and movies, fingers crossed that will be a possibility...

--------------------------

We are keeping our fingers crossed too. that would be great if we could continue the line from the start again.

Consumer Service

Playmates Toys Inc.

-------------------------

I asked a similar question and got back this response:

At this time I can't say but of course it is being considered. Check
back later on this Fall as I may have better information.

Consumer Service
Playmates Toys Inc.
(877) 612-7136

This leads me to believe they may have some surprises cooking up for The New York Toy Fair! I hope DST will retain their license too for 7", Ships and Tech.

#9 flw

flw

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

Hey all -

What's everybody's beef with the 6" line? I like them a lot - I think they're way, way better than the 3 3/4" stuff - that size is just plain too small! The 6" is a lot better than what Playmates produced in the 90s. It may not be up to DST's standard, granted. But I think everyone here would agree that the new movie stuff is a lot better than most of what Playmates used to produce.

Having said that, I have to agree that I don't know if I'm ready to see the entire license given back to Playmates. DST has done an outstanding job, especially with ships and Trek Tek. (We just need some 24th century Tek!)

#10 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

Its been said before on this forum that there is a difference in playmates and DST, one is a toy and the other is a collectors item. Yes, i agree that DST has put out some great stuff, quality wise much better than Playmates, but cost a lot more too and is not mass produced and collectors are the main consumers of DST's stuff. Playmates stuff is mass produced and appeals to more than collectors and could be a way to bring in a lot more interest in the hobby. I dont see why both companies cant produce product based on the all of the shows and movies since they have pretty distinct differences with their lines. I would like to enjoy both of them, not just one or the other. I am in favor of Playmates getting licensing to do all of the series and movies but also keeping DST working on it as well.

#11 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (flw @ Jun 4 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey all -

What's everybody's beef with the 6" line? I like them a lot - I think they're way, way better than the 3 3/4" stuff - that size is just plain too small! The 6" is a lot better than what Playmates produced in the 90s. It may not be up to DST's standard, granted. But I think everyone here would agree that the new movie stuff is a lot better than most of what Playmates used to produce.

Having said that, I have to agree that I don't know if I'm ready to see the entire license given back to Playmates. DST has done an outstanding job, especially with ships and Trek Tek. (We just need some 24th century Tek!)

I like the 6" line too. I hope they keep producing this scale at least to complete it.

#12 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:04 PM

If the market can support both companies producing products and have them be symbiotically beneficial to each other, I would have no problem with Playmates also getting the license. I just don't want to see DST get pushed out as they have truly raised the bar on what can be done with items like the ships and Trek Tek and really deserve the chance to continue improving and innovating.

#13 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

Amen to both Vulcan Fanatic and Knightone's last comments! These are exactly my thoughts on the matter! With Playmates and DST both producing Star Trek I'm sure we will see stuff like the Voyager crew, DS9 in 3 3/4" and 6" ( maybe not the 7" any time soon) , but maybe these will hold us over until DST can get around to their definitive version. I think DST would be able to give us some nice work if they didn't have to feel the pressure of deadlines or completing crews. Maybe if they weren't having to try to do complete crews all at once they could find a way for new sculpts for every figure to be more cost effective. Just saying, it seems like what they are doing for Marvel Select works. For Marvel figures we have had Toybiz and then Hasbro knocking these out for years. So there is no sense of urgency for specific figures and DST is able to give us a more artistic aproach to these. Let's let that happen with DST's Star Trek lines. And hopefully they'll get a shot at the new movie figures in a 7" scale sometime soon!

#14 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:36 PM

Either way....*grabs bullhorn*

MAKE COMPLETE CREWS!!!

#15 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:38 AM

Just read an article about how far Playmates may be willing to commit to Star Trek and Terminator. Interesting bit with Terminator is it looks like we will be getting figures from Terminator 1 and 2 in 2010! Here is the article link:

http://www.actionfig...=3468#more-3468

#16 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:44 AM

What a tough call. I do think that we would get complete crews, gear, ships, and playsets for crews. I would even consider buying both a 3.75" and 6" line for these, depending on cost. Of course, I would hope that if they were addressing all the crews that they would NOT start with TOS (or what I imagine will be called Trek Prime). I have way more TOS than I ever needed. I'd hope they would venture quickly into TNG, DS9, and VOY. With their marketing and ability to release an entire crew at once, I think they can make collectors very happy. Maybe they'd even consider buying molds from or partnering with DST in some way.

I would hate to start over again, but if the quality and more than that the committment to crews and characters, I'd be happy to consider it. Maybe the price would be better as well.

#17 MarcelS

MarcelS

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

It's not good for my wallet, How will I hold a litle bit of money in my pocket, I'm always buying those damn figures.
And what about storage? I got no room for everything, but I keep buying.
more figures plz cool.gif

#18 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

actually I think their 4.5" from the 90's are far better than the 3.75" they're doing now. there's just too much slop for me.
They're attention to detail has seem to have gotten worse in my opinion.
But...Id definitely like to see a playset of the classic bridge. Or maybe TMP bridge?! I'd love that! smile.gif

#19 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

Being a bit of an action figure junkie, Playmates getting the entire Trek license would be pretty awesome.

3.75" TNG....the thought of it makes me smile! biggrin.gif

#20 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (skeletor @ Jun 5 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually I think their 4.5" from the 90's are far better than the 3.75" they're doing now. there's just too much slop for me.
They're attention to detail has seem to have gotten worse in my opinion.
But...Id definitely like to see a playset of the classic bridge. Or maybe TMP bridge?! I'd love that! smile.gif

From a quality standpoint, especially the paint apps, I'd agree with you. But I think the 3.75" size offers more chance for ships/playsets ala G.I. Joe, etc. And I would LOVE a TOS (non JJ) bridge! Of course being a 9'er, I want a Defiant bridge and OPS, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users