• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

Interstellar is going to be opening this weekend... it looks amazing from the effects... and its written and directed by Nolan.

Its got a pretty good cast... I'm a fan of Hathaway. A bit neutral on McConaughey but he kinda grows on you.

I'm actually thinking about seeing it in IMAX.

Anyone else going to see it?

https://interstellar...CFcVhfgodp4UAPw

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

I want to see it but am not sure if I will this weekend. It looks really good.

#3 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

After all the times I've seen the trailer, just nothing about it excites me.  I'm not sure why.  It does look to have great effects. 

I'll probably end up seeing it because my wife wants to! 

#4 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:29 PM

I want to see it but Im not sure when.  Ill be seeing John Wick and Big Hero Six this weekend.

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:03 AM

I saw John Wick last weekend. I good "Movie for guys that like movies". In the vein of "Get Carter" if you remember that one.

I'm hoping Interstellar is more of a thinking sci-fi movie... not just flashy effects.

Gravity was visually stunning, but I found the plot wanting. I'm hoping we get a better balance from Interstellar.

#6 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

I want to see John Wick and Big Hero 6.  They both look good.  

Like I said, I'll probably end up seeing Interstellar because my wife seems to want to see it....unless I can steer her towards something else!  :D

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:21 AM

So the reviews on meta critic seem generally positive. Even if it comes off in the vein of something like "Contact" I think I'll enjoy it. 

Essentially, I've found that when several critics that meta critic uses rate a film at 100% I typically enjoy it.

Gone Girl is a good recent example... However, its typically a bad sign if there are any outright negatives, of which it currently has one. 

I guess if I go and hate it, I'll have a new critic that I should consider since his tastes would be closer to mine!

#8 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:46 AM

After all the times I've seen the trailer, just nothing about it excites me.  I'm not sure why.  It does look to have great effects. 

Hey all,

I'm in exactly the same boat. I love what Nolan has done before and trust his story telling, however the trailers for me just seem to be lacking something, but I don't know what......

I will eventually see it, however at nearly 3 hours long, I'm not sure when.

Take care,

Matty-lad

#9 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

Wow. its really 3 hours long?!

#10 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:23 AM

Wow. its really 3 hours long?!

Well according to my local cinema site, it's 169 minutes long.

#11 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:20 AM

Saw it last night..... Meh.

#12 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:22 AM

I will say though that the effects and tek are great.

Looking forward to the Moebius Models 1/72 scale Ranger from the film.... Definitely one of the coolest vehicles in the movie IMHO.

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

I think I'm going to see it today. Without giving any spoilers, what made it flat for you prometheus?

#14 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:58 PM

Hmmm..... Good question. It was like 2001 meets Inception with a little bit of Batman action thrown in for good measure. Just didn't all jive..... Seemed contrived and maybe taking itself a little too seriously.

There were some cool moments though...

Its sad in my opinion because it should have either been a wild ride or more cerebral not a mish mash.

#15 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

I've not seen it yet, and I haven't got a lot of want to see it any time soon (other than the premise of those space graphics on an IMAX screen...), but I've looked at the plot, and stumbled across this chart someone made. If you haven't seen the film, then be aware this contains massive spoilers (it's literally the plot of the film), but it basically shows a visible time-line to help people understand it better:

http://i.imgur.com/MgwWMFU

Without having seen it for myself, that looks insanely complex! lol

#16 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:31 PM

I don't doubt it was over my head.... Its just that the film really didn't inspire me to figure it out. :(

#17 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:49 PM

I actually liked it. 

First of all, I would agree its not a necessarily a wild ride or something that tries to be overly cerebral, I found it to be more of an adventure/drama that I think in part channeled Contact... which Matthew McConaughey was also in. Also thought of Speilbergs "Always" while watching it. 

I think though, the flaw of Interstellar, is that unlike Contact or Always, Nolan didn't outright commit and push all the chips in on the Key Theme. 

Love or hate Contact, its about faith first and foremost, and that message is driven home... Likewise, Always is about Love and the human experience, and you aren't confused about that.

Nolan takes us to the precipice... is it about faith? is it about love? is it about the environment? I thought it had some very emotional and heartfelt moments, but his failure to really commit to his key theme leaves you a bit confused as to what it should be about. 

A solid effort, probably worthy to watch again when it comes out on Red Box, but I think it deserves about a 75/100 rating. 

#18 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:05 AM

I liked Contact quite a bit, but as you pointed out Gothneo, Interstellar just doesn't commit on several fronts where Contact had a strong message in my opinion.

I guess when I said mish mash I failed to recognize the lack of theme commitment as well.....

Interesting that you use 'Always' as an example of a comparison; I guess you mean the relationship with MM's daughter as the main 'relationship' instead of the romantic version in 'Always'. I kind of see it and must be honest I love when anyone brings up that quiet little remake.... I love it. Love Audrey Hepburn...

Goth....Did you feel it was a slight homage to 2001? I just felt that was another problem.... Just kind of cerebral in pace one moment and sort of swashbuckling the next. Then mix that with the multiple subtle themes and then add the complicated scientific concepts. Uhg!!

Finally Nolan is not Arthur C Clarke nor Stanley Kubrick..... I'm more saying this for myself because I didn't like what I viewed as a failed homage.

I really wanted to like this film but ultimately I just like aspects of it not the entirety of it.

#19 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:13 AM

I agree its no 2001, and Nolan isn't Clarke or Kubrick. 

I guess I didn't really view it as homage to 2001, but if I did, I would agree that it completely failed in that regard.

Yeah, it has a strong relationship theme, and though not a romantic one between him and his daughter, it has similarities to Always, and I'm a fan of that movie too ;-)

In 2001, Clarke/Kubrick pose allot of questions, and gives few answers. I don't think most audiences enjoy that type of moviegoing experience today, and the reason I say that is if I look at most commentary on a movie like Prometheus, in which Scott left it open ended and asked more questions then he answered, people were generally pretty negative and upset that he didn't explain everything.... I found Prometheus to be rather flawed for a completely different reason... which was the manner in which the characters themselves interacted and behaved. 

Nolan essentially ties most loose ends together so that the audience isn't left asking questions... and that again is another flaw in the movie but I think its what most moviegoers want these days.

Whats great about movies like 2001 is that even today we can all have a discussion on "who were the monolith builders?". Contact is the same way, you come away from that movie and you want to keep talking about the central question of what is faith to me... to you... what do I believe? 

Its tough these days to really do something like what Kubrick did on 2001, which lets admit, even Kubrick has lots of gratuitous special effect scenes that don't really do much for the story, but excited the audiences at the time. 2001 showed audiences something new, and challenged them to think in ways they hadn't before... so people see most space adventures as a derivative of 2001, which they probably are. 

Please understand, in no way am I saying this movie is a best picture contender, but for me, the motivation, interaction and connection between the characters worked very well, which got me invested on an emotional level. As pointed out the actual plot line has its issues... and aside from the concept of gravity and time... I choose to ignore the rest of the science mcguffin because... well it just makes my head hurt!

#20 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:03 AM

I have to agree with you on almost everything.

You make some great points....

I may see it one more time.... I was with someone who was mad because the trailers ran a half hour and messed up his schedule.... He had an appointment so he was checking his phone the WHOLE movie for the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users