37 replies to this topic

#1 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Im surprised to not see any opinions on this here.  Paramount is spreading the extras around and keeping the regular version kinda thin on extras.  People are kinda pissed.  I know Im not happy.  Target gets a specific extra and the Itunes gets the directors commentary.   The others get specific versions, but Im not sure what they are.

#2 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

They want you to buy 5 different versions of the movie so you can put them together like a puzzle and get the whole movie. This is a marketing technique to draw you to a specific store to get your business. The gimmick, thats been around since capitalism came into being. Time was, not long ago that the extent of movie exclusives at stores was different case art, a Steelbook case version or a movie themed case like a Ironman helmet case or Incredible Hulk case that looked like a brick wall, but opened in the middle and revealed the Hulk bursting through the wall. Retailers have been getting exclusive content now for their versions over the last couple of years or so. Often, it isnt much more than a short featurette or so, but some are getting Digibooks, which feature a built in book/case that also holds the discs and perhaps other goodies. If your the completist movie collector, you may end up with 5 or 6 versions of the same movie now. Canada and other countries also get exclusives not released in the US as well. You can get these on ebay usually, but unless they are region free, you probably wont be able to play them. Canadian releases will play in US players.

I dont know what features are being released with what version at retailers, but if you just want the one copy, research it, find out which one you want the most and likely you will find the features you dont have on youtube or elsewhere on the internet that you can watch.

#3 Exelion

Exelion

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

I know it must be very annoying for those that listen to commentaries etc, but personally I don't care. Retailer exclusives don't matter to me, and the U.K. usually gets shafted when it comes to special features/editions anyway (no phaser for us!). At most I would watch a special feature once and I've never really bothered with director commentaries either. Picked the shop with the cheapest price for the 3D version, if you can't get a complete edition, then price is the only thing to go off for me.

#4 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

http://trekcore.com/...rt-i-video-vam/

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

When they do stuff like that its hard to feel bad about people ripping.

#6 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

I have been a supporter of the NuTrek films since day one. I have enjoyed both films. But it is safe to say that I won't be buying a copy of Star Trek Into Darkness unless they release a 2 disc Special edition like they did of films 1-11 with commentary, BTS, SFX, trailers, bloopers, etc. 

#7 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

Nice idea, It might backfire.

#8 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

Apparently, this is more the doing of Bad Robot than it is Paramount. If the Blu-ray is cheaper as a result, then cool. If it isn't, either don't buy it, or find other ways of acquiring the extras.
Remember, it isn't for the fans, guys. :P

#9 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:23 AM

Well... they gottat get the total sales to 1.5 billon someway...

#10 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:51 AM

I may relent and get one of the Target or Best Buy editions, but it is not as easy as sale for me as the 2009 special edition which I bought from Target which had the film, and bonus disc in a model of the NuEnterprise.  

#11 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

^ Very true.

#12 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

I have been a supporter of the NuTrek films since day one. I have enjoyed both films. But it is safe to say that I won't be buying a copy of Star Trek Into Darkness unless they release a 2 disc Special edition like they did of films 1-11 with commentary, BTS, SFX, trailers, bloopers, etc. 

Give it time...I'm sure that version will be released in the next year or so. And if not then, definitely when the "ultimate" collection gets released for the 50th anniversary (you KNOW there's going to be one of those sets made then!)

#13 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

I dont care about special features one bit. I like watching the movie. Thats it. I dont care about commentary or cast interviews or anything else but the movie. I do like seeing deleted scenes but those pop up on the internet as soon as the DVD/Blu Ray hit the shelves so why pay extra for that? When a movie that I want to buy comes out I shop around for the cheapest version that I can find and buy that one. Sometimes I will buy the DVD, Blu Ray, Digital pack and then sell the two I don't need to co workers. I used to buy the special editions when they first started doing them years ago but found that I would watch that part of the disc once (maybe) and never touch it again. So... they can do whatever they want as long as I get a copy of the actual movie to watch.

#14 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Normally, I don't care about special features, but for Trek, I usually end up watching them all.

Except I haven't watched any JJ-Trek extras outside of deleted scenes because I can't make myself care enough.

#15 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

God, what a mixed up mess. Since im not buying it, a first for me, i dont care if they make 42 more versions of the set to gather dust on the shelves. Walmart 5 dollar bin fodder and Big lots in 6 months.

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:12 AM

hmmm.... i was going to try and watch the previews or free, but apparently i created an account under my email address on cineanow and dont recall it... also its not emailing me the passowrd.

But... if others didn't catch it... in VF's link the article describes how the previewes for the best buy disc are currently up for free on cineanow. 

#17 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

hmmm.... i was going to try and watch the previews or free, but apparently i created an account under my email address on cineanow and dont recall it... also its not emailing me the passowrd.

But... if others didn't catch it... in VF's link the article describes how the previewes for the best buy disc are currently up for free on cineanow. 

It said you could sign in with your BestBuy.com account, so that's what I did.  Even though it was free, I still had to enter a credit card to bill, so that was weird.  And I couldn't find it by searching, I had to go click the link from that article.

Then I went ahead and watched it, in case it gets pulled or something.  Some of it was interesting, mainly the part about filming the "warp core" at the NIF (National Ignition Facility).  Mostly it wasn't anything I will miss having.  Although I did learn that Heather Langenkamp was inside a frog-like alien costume ("Moto") in one scene.

The fact that the German edition comes with the same extras as Target, and, according to rumor (which I think may turn out false, but we'll see) may have IMAX shots in the full aspect ratio, makes me consider ordering it from Amazon.de at some point.  Even though I already ordered this UK Entertainment Store exclusive SteelBook:

Zh38wYP.jpg

#18 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

Its disappointing that they've cocked up this release compared to the perfect 2009 Trek release but the quality of the movie on Blu-ray is superb.

I'm certainly not buying anymore than one copy of the movie and if they ever do release a special edition for the 50th Anniversary or whatever including all the special features I'll buy it but really I buy Blu-Rays because I loved the movie and I want to see the movie again and again... and again...

#19 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

I've honestly found very few movies where the Blu-ray transfer looks that much better then the DVD transfer. Not saying the blu-ray isn't superior, because it is, but when I play a normal DVD back through my receiver, which filters and upscales the DVD, the result is spectacular and while the Blu-Ray has an edge and looks a bit better, it's rarely that much better to me.

Part of this is simply the fact the most movies don't really require high-def to enjoy them, and that includes movies with lots of specialal effects  where the action is  so fast paced and is specifically shot in a "choppy" manner. 

Movies that I've found to be an exception include Blade Runner, and Avatar. Also, those Blu-Rays like "The planet earth" look amazing.

#20 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

I've never watched a "special feature" on a DVD, so I don't really care.  I'm buying Into Darkness from Amazon because I want the phaser that spins (to sit next to the one I have that doesn't spin).  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users