• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I'm going to see Iron man 3 tommorrow, so i will try to give a review afterwards without giving away too much. Also, my local Regal cinema is having a Iron man Marathon on May 2nd. Starting at 1pm will be Iron man, then Iron man 2 followed by Avengers and then at 9pm will be Iron man 3. Thinking seriously about going to it as well. seeing movies on the big screen is such an experience i hate to miss the opportunity!

#2 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Are you seeing a screening at work or is it actually showing at the Regal already??! I thought it opened next week?

What are they charging for the marathon? and does it include pop corn and drinks or anything else?

Thanks for the heads up.

#3 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

$35.00 for the marathon and i dont think that includes anything other than admission. Tommorrow there is a private screening at the regal for the IronMan 3 crew, studio staff and dignitaries from the Governor on down to local political leaders. The movie opens to the public officially on May 3rd, but the early screening on May 2nd as part of the marathon will be the first public showing.

#4 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Looks like Iron Man 3 has broken highest weekend opening box office which is promising!! Can Star Trek beat it? :D

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

Huh?? It doesn't open until May 2, which is Thursday. Next weekend.

Wait. Your overseas. So are you talking about International opening?

#6 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

The movie opened earlier overseas for some reason. I saw the movie today at a special screening. I was surprised that former Senator Christopher Dodd, who is now President of the MPAA gave a speech, along with the Producer of the film. Many dignitaries were there in attendance. This is a movie that makes you think, its about Tony Starks journey to find himself and whats important to him. I dont think ive given anything away or spoiled it for anyone. I am going to see it again before i give a final judgement on the film. There are a lot of negative reviews on IMDB, and i can understand why. This is not the Avengers, and its not IronMan 2 either. Many will not like it, and many will. I am not sure which camp i am in yet.

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:40 AM

I usually use meta critic as my barameter for movie reviews. Avengers rated a 69 on their scale, and currently iron man 3 is trending at 70. Typically I wait for anything less then a 60 to hit red box, as I've found I'm just too disappointed to spend $10 or more on it to see it on the big screen. Every now and then something comes along that I give it a go. Or I've found a few movies over the 70 mark that haven't met my expectations.

Anyhow, I guess my point is I don't put too much stock in imdb, or rotten tomatoes.

One the things that will be interesting is to see how box offices does after the opening. If it falls off shapely, then it typically means people were excited for it but it left them cold, as the teens and twenty something's will go see it multiple times if they like it.

It sounds like it caught you off guard a bit VF? Tat it maybe wasn't quite the movie you expected?

#8 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Yes, even though I work at the studio, Marvel was super secretive about the movie, so even though I saw the cast and crew, the sets and many of the props, I was not privy to the storyline . I believe that much of the crew and cast of the movie only knew certain things and not all of it. Some things about the movie surprised me. Not all of the surprises are good IMO. There are good things in it too. I really need to watch it again to make a judgement. It took me awhile to warm up to 2009 Star Trek, and I came to like it. I liked Avengers immediately.

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for the Metacritic reference, i will check it out. 

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

I agree about Avengers. I'm still looking forward to IM3, and will def see it in the theaters.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Wow. The reviews continue to be a bit Luke warm. I'm still going to see it this weekend but I should probably lower my expectations bit.

#12 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

I went to the IronMan Marathon today which was four movies long, with Avengers and IronMan 3 in 3D. I had a blast seeing IM 1 , IM2 , Avengers and IM3 on the big screen all together. I have to say now that i have seen the movie twice, that a major twist about half way through the movie disappointed me. There was plenty of action, and i enjoyed it but it could have been so much better. I cant elaborate without spoiling, so i wont. I liked the movie well enough to add it to my Bluray library  when it releases. Saw the New Thor Trailer just before IM3 and it looks spectacular!

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the update! I too liked the the new Thor trailer. The 1st Thor was a bit disappointing to me, and I'm hoping this one hits a better stride! I'm planning to go see it Sunday.

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Oh my. I just saw IM3, and... I'm sorry to say... its not very good :huh:

I'll say the rest under the "spoiler" since I have gripes that will give plot away.

Spoiler

#15 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

Gothneo, would that mean much to someone that did not follow Iron man in the comics, etc.... I never did so I'm wondering if that will be a something that will affect me watching it tonight.

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

No... I don't think it will matter in that respect.  I will say it's just not necessary, I thought it a bit of waste actually, and again I won't say more why w/o spoiling.

I don't think its the worst film of the genre by any feat, but I found it a disappointment. 

Also, the 3D added nothing for me. I'd say save your cash and see it in 2D.

#17 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Gothneo, i agree with you. I never followed the comics and really had no idea of the history of the villains, but it still disappointed me the way it turned out. I think Jon Favreau should have directed, or maybe Joss Whedon, but i think it was the Directors fault here.

#18 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

Gothneo, would that mean much to someone that did not follow Iron man in the comics, etc.... I never did so I'm wondering if that will be a something that will affect me watching it tonight.

As i said in another post, even not following the comics the twist affected me because of the trailer build up. I dont know what your feeling will be about the movie tonight, but the build up by the trailers had me really stoked, but  that pretty much was extinguished when the twist happened. Lot of good stuff still there but left disappointed.

#19 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for the update! I too liked the the new Thor trailer. The 1st Thor was a bit disappointing to me, and I'm hoping this one hits a better stride! I'm planning to go see it Sunday.

I liked Thor, but for some reason when they were on Asgard it was hard to make out certain things with the lighting being to dark.  The same can be said more so when they go to that other realm.

#20 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

Im going tomorrow to see it so Ill give my full report.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users