JJ Abrams will direct Star Wars 7

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Ok so I guess a lot of people have now seen the news about JJ Abrams betraying every single Star Trek fan to run off and do Lucas's bidding... As you can see, I am THRILLED by this news... NOT

What does everyone else think? Good news? Bad news? Not really that important news?

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I think it is great news and I see no reason he cant do both or at least stay a producer on Star Trek. Many franchises are doing this these days. Keeping the original on to consult and pro9duce while handing off to another director. It works.
I ama fan of JJ Abrams and both Star Trek and Star Wars. I love that he is a fan of Star Wars and is going to be doing this.
There is no reason to say if you are involved with one you cant be part of the other. he is a talented man. Let him spread it around to all of the franchises.

#3 Exelion

Exelion

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Thought the news was that he was close to a deal, not that he has signed one, but even if he does direct the next movie it doesn't really matter and I really don't care what he does it makes no difference to Star Trek. JJ's Star Trek was a big dumb sci-fi action film, which felt more like a Star Wars film anyway, so he will probably do a pretty good job on 7. So good for him and I'm sure the Star Wars fans will be thrilled that someone who can actually direct is taking on the franchise after three terrible terrible films.

#4 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Look at it this way:

With JJ gone, someone who actually knows Star Trek and cares about it is free to take the helm. Joss Whedon, Seth McFarlane, Jonathan Frakes... hell, the sky's the limit. I'd even be happy with Bob Orci, if he has it in him to direct...

I'm glad JJ's film has resurrected the franchise, but now that the sledgehammer has done it's work, we need a curator to restore it's soul.

#5 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Could not agree more!

#6 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

I'm wondering a few things

What do we think Paramount will do next?

Where does this leave Bad Robot since surely the next Star Wars film will be produced not by it but by Lucasfilm?

Will Abrams direct both Star Wars and then do Star Trek 3?

Where does this leave the likes of Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman and the rest of the supreme court?

#7 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

wasnt JJ just expressing how he was "loyal" to Trek and passed on Star Wars? So now hes doing Star Wars. I dont think with the amount of time, expectations, and JJ's previous track record of not being able to multitask, him doing both would not be a good idea. Im also very afraid for Trek because with this news and previous hintings that other main cast members are out after this second film, it leaves the whole franchise in limbo. Ideally Id like to see this universe move to TV instead of film but with the high priced actors involved is that even a possibility?

#8 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Well I just read the JJ will produce the 3rd Trek film but not direct so I guess that settles that. Also to me this seems to be the most agreeable solution because it will still have the same core people in charge but we'll get to see a new directors vision.

#9 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

TheHSBR you just took the thought right out of my head.

I think all this needs to be put to bed before May 17th so that Star Trek fans know that theres going to be a positive future to the final Abrams movie even though me may only produce it. looking at a possible Star Trek 3 though who would fit this trilogy and as the Supreme Court have always said, they like to break a story as a team, with Abrams gone will this change the writing team or will Abrams still be a part of the writing process for Trek? Or will they do it without Abrams... A lot of unanswered questions and it seems Trek and Trek fans again are left to wonder about the future and whether or not whoever replaces Abrams can do Star Trek justice as well as doing a film that is successful

#10 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

The biggest problem I've had with this is that Abrams has always said that he directed Star Trek as though he was doing a Star Wars movie. But, the most apt comparison that I've been able to come up with between the two is that his Star Trek reminds me of the prequels, particularly The Phantom Menace.

#11 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

If I were a SW fan and not a ST fan I'd be a bit concerned because of the style Abrams has, even though each of his movies is somewhat different, they are all identifiably JJ Abrams movies, he has his style so really will His Star Wars look like his Star Trek movies? Creatively I think this decision made by Abrams has been made as a fan rather than a director who has a job to do.

One of the better things about his Treks was that he wasn't a fan but had a team of people who were at different levels of fandom. With Wars there's a worry that Abrams could do a Bryan Singer and Superman Returns and make the biggest fan boy movie of all time switching off a new generation.

Anyway even before Abrams was chosen I was less than bothered about seeing Star Wars and now he's directing I'm even less impressed.

#12 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

One more question, this really goes to people who were excited to see Star Trek Into Darkness but has your excitement for Into Darkness lessened now you know Abrams may not be back and the near future seems again uncertain for Trek?

#13 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

What made TOS so much fun was different creative teams bringing the crew along different story lines and adventures. I'm liking the prospect of different directors. I'd love to see someone like Guillermo Del Toro's take on "strange new worlds and civilizations"! I also think that Star Wars under JJ Abrams will be great! Another film series that did great under different directors was the Harry Potter movies. What almost killed Star Trek in the first place was sticking to closely to one creative direction until it became stagnant and boringly predictable.

#14 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Honestly I think JJ's style will be more in line with what Star Wars is at it's core: a psuedo mythological action/adventure story set in a SciFi future yet past universe.

And what Destructor said is spot on: maybe with a new director Star Trek can reclaim its soul.

#15 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

Who would direct a third Star Trek?

If we are to assume that Into Darkness takes our heroes to darker places, surely a third film would have to be made to restore our heroes and to bring them back but if Abrams can't direct it, which I think won't be decided until Abrams has seen a script for it, who else would be ideal enough to a) finish the job Abrams began, cool.gif fit within the already established Abrams style and c) respect what Abrams has done with each character but also wrap this story up fittingly.

Unless Into Darkness ends in a way that leaves these characters stories already wrapped up! the only person I can think of that would respect each character in Abrams Trek and really round things out properly would be Abrams.

#16 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Why does it need to fit with the Abrams style. If another director can just do what he does, is Abrams important anymore? I think a new director should present his own vision and my vote goes for Seth MacFarlane. hes an established presence in Hollywood and a huge Trek fan.

#17 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

I think if we're going to see our crew torn apart in Into Darkness then in a third movie they are brought together and peace is restored. Having someone else bring their own unique style and vision to an already established story to part 3 would be quite jarring. So in my opinion Abrams is the only guy who can finish of HIS story and tying up all these arcs he had a hand in creating with the Supreme Court. I would like to see how JJ Abrams and co would wrap up essentially his characters.

Anyway, JJ Abrams will be involved with the next Star Trek movie as at the very least a producer so I think if there is to be a Star Trek 3 it will be in the Abrams style and then from that another team can take it on to do their own thing.

#18 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Honestly I'd like to see Bryan Singer take a crack at Trek.

#19 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Im against the arbitrary practice of creating trilogies and I really wish Hollywood would stop this practice. Make a 2nd or 3rd if it warrants and hey if a 4th is warranted continue. Utter sillyness to make 3 films if it should/could be done in more or less.

#20 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Feb 1 2013, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im against the arbitrary practice of creating trilogies and I really wish Hollywood would stop this practice. Make a 2nd or 3rd if it warrants and hey if a 4th is warranted continue. Utter sillyness to make 3 films if it should/could be done in more or less.

I agree, and would add that it is complete folly to sign up to a trilogy and then - apparently - not even heave a script for the second, let alone the third movie.

That said, maybe the writers were hanging fire to see which elements of their plotting in the first movie went well and were well received by the audience.

As for Star Wars, part of the what made the first 3 movies so great - and by the first three I mean in which the chronological order in which they were made and NOT the marginalisation that occurred when Lucas made his tedious prequels - was a genuine warm feel and great characters people could care about.

Who cares about Om-Padme-Padme-Om and her never-ending wardrobe or sulky Anakin compared to Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, C3PO and R2?

My point is that Abrams eventually turned out to have a made a great job of breathing new life into old characters (except for Uhura) and I'd quite like to see his take on SW. At least it would knock some of the pomposity out of the prequels and make a return to what the original SW was all about ...simple, great adventure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users