• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Exelion

Exelion

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

First official teaser trailer is out for the film here. Now there is also a slightly extended Japanese version which many kind of spoil the possible villain for the movie here. Looks like TWOK Spock death scene so could very well be Khan.

Interestingly there wasn't a single shot that appeared to be in space tongue.gif . The ship crashing into the water doesn't seem to be the Enterprise as the nacelles and pylons are different to massive ones we see rising out of the water. Teaser is pretty good typical big Hollywood blockbuster but has got me quite excited.

#2 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

The girl looks like Dr. Elizabeth Dehner.

#3 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:41 AM

I'm going to put my vote in that Cumberbatch is Sybok.

#4 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

No scenes in space, alright - certainly odd - but there were definitely scenes not on Earth, the red vine jungle, for example.

The thing that is sending chills down my spine is that, as you correctly point out, the ship seen crashing into the water is not the Enterprise, and actually looks more like a TOS Constitution class layout (Nacelles almost as wide as the saucer, spindlier design - though the nacelles seem too delicate). I'm not expecting the TOS Enterprise to come through a rift and assist JJkirk and co, but a design throwback seems likely. I'm also pretty sure I could see a red Bussard glow coming through the cloud of vapor.

The ship rising from the water looks like the JJprise, but I have a hunch that it's not. We can only see the "NCC" on the starboard nacelle, and it feels more compact in design, though that is not conclusive.

So, I'm gonna throw my voice behind the "Cumby is Gary Mitchell" thing. Mitchell's TOS story has already happened in the comics, and his god-like abilities could allow him to survive the end of that story and somehow come back. What I'm left wondering about is how he, and Dehner, if that is who Alice Eve is playing, will suddenly have British accents. Not a big deal, though.

This is an interesting story to tell - it can work as a sequel to the TOS episode, to those willing to ignore the inconsistencies, or fall back on the comics. Whether it'll be any good, though, remains to be seem tongue.gif

#5 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

i call bs on this. i will still go and see it but star ships in water omg that's worse than the sky on vulcan being blue in the first movie.

#6 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

Looks good so far. I loved the first one and cant wait for this one.

#7 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

Its Gary Mitchell. Even though theres that scene at the end of the Japanese version, It's still Gary Mitchell

The ship rising from the water is indeed the Enterprise as the scene fades out you can clearly see the 1701. Also there would never be another ship that looked identical to or as close to identical as the Enterprise nowadays due to non-fans getting confused. I did actually think that it was the constitution refit falling into the water at the end though, it could be? But on closer inspection it looks more like the Enterprise E...

I am blown away by this announcement trailer. As for there being no space? I'm not bothered but undoubtably there will be space since there are other planet landscapes shown.

He will have a british accent btw as that's him talking over the trailer and unless you used an american accent yourself whilst reading the comic, he could be british - new timeline, new Mitchell and thats really why this can't be seen as a sequel to the TOS episode too, this is a completely different universe, timeline and set of characters. It could work well as a sequel to the first comic book

#8 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

After seeing this I've finally decided not to give that movie a chance (or Abrams as Star Trek director a second chance). It looks even worse than the last one, and I didn't think that was possible. Just my personal opinion, if you guys liked the last one or are excited about this, that's fine with me. But for me, that's not Star Trek anymore.

#9 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (Daysleeper @ Dec 6 2012, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After seeing this I've finally decided not to give that movie a chance (or Abrams as Star Trek director a second chance). It looks even worse than the last one, and I didn't think that was possible. Just my personal opinion, if you guys liked the last one or are excited about this, that's fine with me. But for me, that's not Star Trek anymore.

I agree completely. I didn't like the last one but thought at least it would bring new fans to Star Trek. It seems to me that all the elements that make Star Trek "Star Trek" to me at least are slipping away. I don't care how popular Star Trek is if it has to sacrifice what it is at it's very core. This feels to me more like a Batman movie licensing the name Star Trek rather than a new edgy Star Trek borrowing elements from current blockbusters. I will probably watch this one just in case but it really appears to me to be "Star Trek" in name and characters only.

#10 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

The starship angled downward and scraping across the water... I suppose it may be crashing, but it looks more to me like it may be scraping across the water to create something like a quick tidal wave to shove onto the city it's heading toward. I get that impression since it looks more like a controlled flight rather than crashing.

The starship coming out of water is a bit goofy, though still a decent visual. But, it immediately made me think of one thing:

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Good Lord! That's over 5000 atmospheres of pressure!
Fry: How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Well, it was built for space travel, so anywhere between zero and one.

#11 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

That last scene of the japanese trailer looks like someone , possibly Kirk, and Spock are separated between glass. TWOK comes to mind. I wonder if Spock dies in this movie. I remember reading a short time back that Quinto was going to concentrate on other things in his career after this movie, perhaps this is because Spock dies in this movie. The Villain says he has returned and will have his vengence, its possible that its Khan. Its possible that its Gary Mitchell. I cant see it being Sybok. So far, the Gary Mitchell angle is my guess.

#12 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

I think that Kirk dies.

#13 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Dec 6 2012, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its Gary Mitchell. Even though theres that scene at the end of the Japanese version, It's still Gary Mitchell

The ship rising from the water is indeed the Enterprise as the scene fades out you can clearly see the 1701. Also there would never be another ship that looked identical to or as close to identical as the Enterprise nowadays due to non-fans getting confused. I did actually think that it was the constitution refit falling into the water at the end though, it could be? But on closer inspection it looks more like the Enterprise E...

this is not the Enterprise

#14 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

No its definitely not the Enteprise designed by JJ Abrams team no but in the trailer it looked like the constitution class refit. Which clearly it is not.

^ This is the Enterprise though...

#15 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Daysleeper @ Dec 6 2012, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (s8film40 @ Dec 6 2012, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree completely. I didn't like the last one but thought at least it would bring new fans to Star Trek. It seems to me that all the elements that make Star Trek "Star Trek" to me at least are slipping away. I don't care how popular Star Trek is if it has to sacrifice what it is at it's very core. This feels to me more like a Batman movie licensing the name Star Trek rather than a new edgy Star Trek borrowing elements from current blockbusters. I will probably watch this one just in case but it really appears to me to be "Star Trek" in name and characters only.

I have to comment on these two opinions.

First of all its completely fair enough of any fan who doesn't like the direction Star Trek has gone in. Not going to bring into question your personal opinions on this or the 2009 movie.

What I will say is this... Good Star Trek has always been Star Trek that moved with the times. TOS worked because it was so relevant to the people who watched it. TNG was so relevant to the 80s and the people who came into Star Trek with that series, DS9 really continued the TNG era story with new characters within the same era as TNG and really spoke to the issues that were effecting our world in the 90's and now JJ Abrams Star Trek is really speaking to an entirely new generation. Its definitely a Star Trek for its time so whilst for me Star Trek: The Next Generation is what I see as definitive Star Trek, I don't think saying that this isn't Star Trek is all that fair or accurate since one of the great things about Star Trek is that it is what it needs to be for any given generation and so far its very relevant for the world we live in at the moment. What went wrong with Trek was that it stopped reinventing itself, it just carried on with what worked with TNG with Voyager, Insurrection, Nemesis and Enterprise (however much we may like those series).

So its fine that you don't like this Star Trek but really to say it's not Star Trek is not fair - it IS in every sense and meaning, Star Trek. It's just a Star Trek that doesn't appeal to you and thats fine.

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Well... what I think Daysleeper & s8film40 have said is that they don't see JJ's Trek as True to Roddenberry's Trek (TOS and TNG). You can can argue with them all you want... saying it IS Star Trek in every sense and meaning, but thats your opinion. Why do that? I think(and correct me if I got t wrong) your point is the Star Trek has more than 1 incarnation and those incarnations strike a chord with some and not so much with others. I respect that. DS9, VOY and ENT aren't Roddenberrys trek either (they are Berman's Trek), and they aren't for everyone. Some people feel that Berman's Trek was the beginning of a decline for Trek as it abandoned Roddenberry's more optimistic future for one that is darker. I disagree that Berman's Trek... a Darker trek, is somehow more relevant to the times, as the mid to late 90's was an incredible period of good economic growth, a period of great optimism, and yet Star Trek was getting Darker? I liked it for the way it did a deep dive in developing characters. Clearly ENT left a bad taste in fans mouths since it only lasted 4 seasons... so it seems to have been another miss with regards to relevance. I 'm just saying theirs No need to fight and argue semantics, JJ's Trek's just not their bag, and I get why. I'm still not sure JJ's trek is my bag either.

#17 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

I think we should just talk about the new film in this thread and not start a debate.....Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion...but this thread is about the new film. That being said I think we are in for a wild ride.

#18 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

I agree. there are SO MANY topics on if this is trek or not. This thread is not one of them. Stick to the talk about the movie please.

#19 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

City on the Edge of Forever was mostly not space.

#20 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Dec 6 2012, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that Kirk dies.

Its funny that you said that.... My friends and I were saying wouldnt it be funny if the whole "between the glass" scene with Kirk and Spock actually has Kirk being the one making the sacrafice this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users