Photo

Saw the Dark Knight Rises theatre trailer and went "meh"!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Waiting for Prometheus to begin yesterday, I saw for the first time the theatrical trailer for The Dark Knight Rises and to say I have some concerns would be an understatement.

Everyone knows I'm a huge fan of Tom Hardy and have been thrilled at the aspect of him as a Batman villain in a stonkingly good franchise - but I have to ask the question did it really have to be Bane? It seemed to me from the trailer that the character could have been played by any bulked-up actor and that Hardy could well be wasted in the role. I know Bane has huge comic-book stock as a cartoon character, but in a movie that has to follow on from the juggernaut that was Heath Ledger in his penultimate film role doing things with a previously camp villain that hardly anyone could have believed possible, a villain with no facial expression and a voice that needs subtitles could turn into a huge tower of suckiness the like of which we haven't seen in ages.

Unless Nolan's banking on Hardy's quite impressive ability to use a certain amount of physical agility to shock audiences by sudden and unexpected turns of violence - which is not a common trait in great actors - then much of Hardy's acting comes from his face which will be hidden from view. What I'm saying is that nobody really cared about the man who provided the commanding physical presence for Darth Vader - who hails from my neck of the woods and reality sounds like one of the Wurzels. At least in Vader's case the voice of James Earl Jones added gravitas and menace in equal measure. In Bane's case I've heard rumours that early audiences for the trailer complained that Bane "mumbled" and it's not clear what's been done to address this.

Having loved The Dark Knight for its intelligence, I can't tell from this trailer where the sequel will add value. I can't see where the real menace in Bane is supposed to be. I don't the character at all, but I have heard he is supposed to be highly intelligent - well great, but is this vague introduction going to turn into something iconic in the movies? I know it's only a trailer and I will go and see the movie no matter - I'm just going with less excitement.

Anyone else underwhelmed by the trailer?

#2 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

I was super underwhelmed by The Dark Knight, contrary to your opinion, I understand, but I've got zero interest in this movie. None.

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

I fine with Tom as Bane. In the comics Bane was extremely intelligent and Tom can do that. I'm wondering about Cat Women.

#4 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

Richpit, you may be the first to actually hold that same opinion with me! I thought Dark Knight was cool when I saw it the first time but in subsequent viewing I became less impressed whereas now I see it as an average film at best. Ive said it here and Ill say it again, Dark Knight would not have been nearly received as well if Heath Ledger hadnt died. IMO Iron Man still is at the top of my comic book movie list.

What I look for in a movie is something that surprises me. I want a movie that gives me something I wasnt expecting. Dark Knight didnt really do that besides the shock that Batman operated mostly in daylight. With this end of the trilogy (yes Im sick of every director now thinking in terms of 3 as opposed to making one good film), I havent seen anything that impresses me thus far. Most importantly DC has still yet to deliver a really good film IMO and this doesnt look to the one either.

Im also opening a summer movie threaed to feel free to discuss all other films there.

#5 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

I am one of the few that was not impressed with TDK as well. I liked it but didnt think it was the great masterpiece that a lot of fans tried to make it out to be. They tried to cram to much in to one movie and turned it in to a convoluted mess in some parts. While TDK had some really good parts and acting, overall it lacked a lot of what made Batman Begins such a great movie. I think Begins is far superior to TDK in almost every way.
As for TDKR. It looks OK and some of the more recent footage looks better than the early stuff shown but I am still having trouble getting excited over it.

#6 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jun 26 2012, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive said it here and Ill say it again, Dark Knight would not have been nearly received as well if Heath Ledger hadnt died.

Thank you!! I've been saying this since the movie came out and broke all those box office records!

I've always said, I don't think it was a bad movie, but I don't think it was a good *Batman* movie. It had a too "gritty, realistic, big city" feel to it. It didn't look or feel like Gotham City to me. On top of that, I just didn't think the story line was all that impressive and I hate, HATE the way they make Bale's voice sound as Batman. What the hell is that gravelly thing about?

#7 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE (richpit @ Jun 27 2012, 02:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you!! I've been saying this since the movie came out and broke all those box office records!

In some places on the Net you'd get flamed for even thinking that LOL! But actually I am inclined to agree that ledger's death did an awful lot to boost TDK's appeal and it got far larger audiences because of that.

I've always said, I don't think it was a bad movie, but I don't think it was a good *Batman* movie. It had a too "gritty, realistic, big city" feel to it. It didn't look or feel like Gotham City to me.

I've said a similar thing about Star Trek Nemesis being a terrible Star Trek movie!! smile.gif

Actually, all of the points you raise there about the feel of TDK and of Gotham City are precisely why I appreciated it so much!

On top of that, I just didn't think the story line was all that impressive and I hate, HATE the way they make Bale's voice sound as Batman. What the hell is that gravelly thing about?

I liked the story - I liked the way in which Nolan made it feel like a political thriller. It had a serious, adult feel to it which I very much appreciated, but I can imagine it could be poison to seasoned batfans who read the comics and earlier movie and TV incarnations.

As for Bale's gravelly voice when he's in the Batsuit - I don't get that either, unless it's because he's deliberately disguising his voice to mask his real identity as Bruce Wayne. That would make sense as Wayne is a notable in Gotham City. On the other hand - it annoys me too and is the only bum note I can think of.

As for Batman Begins - my only complaint is that it is too front-heavy and took to long to get to the point of Wayne becoming Batman. I know it's supposed to establish his origins and his motives for wanting to give law enforcement some help in assuring justice, but a less good choice when it comes to pacing a movie.

#8 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:11 AM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Jun 27 2012, 05:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for Bale's gravelly voice when he's in the Batsuit - I don't get that either, unless it's because he's deliberately disguising his voice to mask his real identity as Bruce Wayne. That would make sense as Wayne is a notable in Gotham City. On the other hand - it annoys me too and is the only bum note I can think of.

The first thing that comes to my mind when talking about Bale's Batman-voice is this scene from The Big Bang Theory: roflmao.gif

#9 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE (FHC @ Jun 26 2012, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I fine with Tom as Bane. In the comics Bane was extremely intelligent and Tom can do that. I'm wondering about Cat Women.

DIDO on the cat. Anne Hathaway is hot and in my op. a good actress but as the cat?????? we will see...

#10 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

Honestly I had high hopes that Hathaway was actually playing Talia, Ra's Al Ghul's daughter and not Catwoman. To me that would have brought the whole trilogy full circle. Doesn't seem to be the case. While I am interested in seeing what he does, I have to say I am a bit underwhelmed by what I've seen myself. I think I was more amp'd about The Avengers than I am about this one. I like what Nolan has done so far, but I'm not sure if he has another magic rabbit to pull out of his hat this time.

#11 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE (Daysleeper @ Jun 27 2012, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The first thing that comes to my mind when talking about Bale's Batman-voice is this scene from The Big Bang Theory: roflmao.gif

I love that show!!! smile.gif

#12 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE (WORF22 @ Jun 27 2012, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DIDO on the cat. Anne Hathaway is hot and in my op. a good actress but as the cat?????? we will see...

Assume a different kind of Catwoman - no one will ever be as fab as Julie Newmar IMHO!

#13 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

I agree with Worf on Catwoman and Anne Hathaway. She's a great actress, and gorgeous, but as catwoman? I dunno. I really liked Michelle Pfeiffer, but then I prefer the Tim Burton movies anyway.

#14 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

I think Anne Hathaway is both a good actress and pretty hot-looking - which is not always the case in Hollywood. Actresses are very often cast for their looks first with their acting ability coming a very poor second. I think she'll be fine in the role of Catwoman - especially when I think of some that could have been cast in the role. Nolan's projects tend to attract quality casts.

#15 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

True, but not each actor/actress can play everything. Even though Hathaway is a fine actress indeed, I don't see her range cover the kind of actress I'd have as the cat. But I'll be happy enough to be proven wrong there.

#16 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Daysleeper @ Jun 29 2012, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True, but not each actor/actress can play everything. Even though Hathaway is a fine actress indeed, I don't see her range cover the kind of actress I'd have as the cat. But I'll be happy enough to be proven wrong there.

You clearly revere the Cat! Just out of interest, who - given the choice of today's current crop of young actresses with the requisite range of talents - would you cast as Catwoman if you were the casting director?

#17 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

I dont know...Im kinda surpised that Nolan is going with a very tame Catwoman. Michelle Pfeiffer was a bit rique and sensual. I expected Nolan to go more over the top with that sexual presence. Despite Hathaway performing in some very risque films, she still does not have that perception as she will always be remebered as the girl from the Princess Diaries by most. Even Catwomans costume in this film may be the most nondescript seen anywhere (TV film and comics). If I were directing Id cast some hot young Hollywood starlet and really heat up the film.

#18 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:02 AM

Even though some don't like her I think Olivia Wilde would be an interesting choice for Catwoman. She's a good actress, she's beautiful, and she has the cat-like elegance required for the part.

#19 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jun 29 2012, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont know...Im kinda surpised that Nolan is going with a very tame Catwoman. Michelle Pfeiffer was a bit rique and sensual. I expected Nolan to go more over the top with that sexual presence.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised by that too. Catwoman never has been subtle. Julie Newmar oozed sex and had spectacular curves!! I think Catwoman has to be naughty and knowing, and Michelle Pfieffer has that quality and Catwoman needs to spin Batman's head a little ...wouldn't you think? Maybe think his Batsuit was getting a little snug in places - if you get my drift!!

Despite Hathaway performing in some very risque films, she still does not have that perception as she will always be remebered as the girl from the Princess Diaries by most.

Yes, I got the impression from the trailer that Hathway's Catwoman was somewhat cultured and polite. More Kate Middleton than Pussy Galore! Maybe that's what Nolan thinks would go best with Bale's Batman in that he's thinking "knight" and then making Batman rather more monkish - someone who would appreciate polite and cerebral as opposed to overtly sexual.

Even Catwomans costume in this film may be the most nondescript seen anywhere (TV film and comics). If I were directing Id cast some hot young Hollywood starlet and really heat up the film.

Normally at this point I'd be rolling my eyes at that notion - but I kind of get you point here! I'm just rejoicing that you didn't suggest Megan Fox - LOL - although hot young starlets tend to be here today - boobies out - and gone tomorrow because they're a bit bland and one-dimensional. Not every hot actress can do sexy or erotic. Catwoman is more than a little burlsesque. This role really needs a more established, mature talent like an Angelina Jolie but younger. Seriously - a movie that stars a villain in what looks rather like Satan's own idea of a fetish mask could carry a Catwoman who in a risque outfit with curves like Kim Kardashion! Batman - even Nolan's Batman - has never been understated and subtle.

However, I still think Hathaway could bring some surprises. smile.gif

#20 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (Daysleeper @ Jun 30 2012, 06:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even though some don't like her I think Olivia Wilde would be an interesting choice for Catwoman. She's a good actress, she's beautiful, and she has the cat-like elegance required for the part.

I could see that, especially given both Jim Lee's artwork of her and the Arkham City depiction of the character.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users