39 replies to this topic

#21 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 26 2006, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it was Branon Braga in the clip, and he stated that after the first few days of shooting it was obvious that they needed to go in another direction. Maybe that meant actress and character. After all, the scenes are a bit different in how they start. Bujold at the computer terminal - Mulgrew staring out the window.

Often times actor input can change a scene or a character's direction dramatically from what is written. Also, interaction between an actor and the director can also effect how the director sees the scene. A director can feel an actor would be more comfortable or natural doing a scene much differently than what another actor would do. So that may have changed some things in the scene.

#22 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:09 AM

I saw Bujold in some day time movie not long after I heard she'd walked out on Trek.

I think I would have been happy either way. smile.gif

I also liked the idea of Janeway as an older woman....but Mulgrew was not too young looking by any means.

#23 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:59 PM

I thought I read somewhere one of the many reasons that the producers themselves weren't happy with Bujold was that she refused to dye her hair and she looked too old and they wanted some sort of sex appeal for Janeway.

I am thrilled that Mulgrew did become Janeway, but if Bujold stayed as Janeway we would have grown accustomed to her, just as Roddenberry became accustomed to Patrick Stewart as Picard.

#24 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(Chalksquared @ Apr 24 2007, 10:59 PM) View Post
if Bujold stayed as Janeway we would have grown accustomed to her, just as Roddenberry became accustomed to Patrick Stewart as Picard.

I for one never got accustomed to Patrick Stewart as Picard!

#25 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Apr 24 2007, 05:11 PM) View Post

Poppycock! Poppycock I say!

#26 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 22 2006, 10:13 PM) View Post
Yeah I know what your saying I was trying to figure it out.

I don't know what it is either, but it reminds me a bit of the accent Troi had in the first season that she gradually lost as the series went on. I'd almost go so far as to say that if they had wanted to make Lwaxana a much more "serious" character, rather than the jubilant and slightly flighty portrayal of Majel Barrett, she'd have been a good choice for it....

... I know you're probably thinking that the Chimp is smokin' his own special brand of banana doobies, but I'll stick by the statement.

#27 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:20 PM

I just watched the Youtube clip again.

I am actually very glad they ended up with Mulgrew.

Bujold did not seem as warm. Her accent did seem kinda 'S1 Troi' meets 'Vasquez from Aliens' biggrin.gif

I'm not sure how old Bujold was there...but seven years on from that she would have looked very worn.

#28 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:07 AM

she would have played a good Vulcan. (NO EMOTIONS) thank God for Kate, I do not think I would have watched Voyager if she was the cap.

#29 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Apr 24 2007, 10:11 PM) View Post

Right Berns, no more of your nonsence..............bend OVER!!! mad.gif

I think it was a good call to have swapped Bujold for Mulgrew. Mulgrew had a much broader appeal.

#30 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:10 AM

i recently watched the extras on the first series box set of VOY, and i couldn't believe how little emotion and energy Bujold put into the scenes shown on the DVD. I'm also glad we ended up with Kate Mulgrew

When i invest my time into watching a tv series, i only do it because i build up some sort of emotional response to a character(s). With her as the captain, i doubt i would've felt anything (which may not have turned me completely off of the series, but would leave me wanting her scenes to be brief - not a good situation to be in if you're the lead in a tv series lol)

#31 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:40 AM

^^^That's a very good assessment of Bujold's performance as seen in the DVD extras. A huge part of Mulgew's performance for me was her warmth. She was in charge but she wasn't afraid to let compassion show on her face.

#32 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:40 AM

Gaaaaaaaaaaah! Sorry for the inadvertant double post. dry.gif

#33 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

If you'll watch the interview with Rick Berman on the VOY season 1 DVD where we get to see Bujold's scenes, you'll hear the full story of what happened.

TPTB hoped that Bujold was a more established actress and would bring more prestige to Trek because of her respected film resume. (it was a PR move). Bujold was not happy with the fast pace of tv filming and was unaccustomed to the quick shooting turnaround. Apparently she wasn't happy with the "dailies" (daily filming reels that production staff would watch to see if the scene "worked" or if something needed to be changed...i.e. lighting, wardrobe, etc.) and neither were the producers. Berman was very complimentary of Bujold saying that if they were shooting a motion picture, she would have been fine.

#34 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:49 AM

^^^^But I thought that filming a motion picture involved checking the dailies as well. I may be being naive, and I know that a filming a weekly TV series is high pressure, but surely the same applies to a movie where delays cost money? To me, there's something in that statement of Berman's that doesn't quite ring true. It sound slike he's being kind and papering over a big crack, I mean, it's a major thing if you appoint an actress to play the first female Trek captain and it doesn't work out.

#35 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:08 PM

They shoot a 2:15 movie in typically 9 to 13 weeks depending on the budget. They shoot a 50 minute episode in 1 week. Hence the higher pace for TV.

"Bujold wasn't happy with the dailies" doesn't mean that she wasn't happy to have to look at the dailies. It means that she wasn't happy with her preformance after seeing it on those dailies.

#36 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:46 AM

^^^Well that's about her acting ability then! I'm still glad she left.

#37 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:42 AM

Berman handled this very professionally. She stunk in the role, for whatever reason. He didn't make her look bad by saying that. At the same time, he didn't make the decision makers who cast her (including himself) look bad either.

#38 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE(JulesLuvsShinzon @ Apr 28 2007, 03:49 AM) View Post
^^^^But I thought that filming a motion picture involved checking the dailies as well.

I would imagine that watching dailies is much more important in the movie business.

From what I've read, on a movie, you can be filming the same scene for days or weeks. So, if you shot something on Monday and it looked bad on dailies, you can come back and reshoot it on Tuesday or Wednesday.

With the fast pace of TV production, I don't think there's often that luxury of going back to reshoot scenes. I'm sure it happens, but not often.

Of course, all my TV production knowledge comes from reading books on Trek, listening to Ron Moore's BSG podcast, and listening to DVD director commentaries, so what do I know? smile.gif

#39 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE(JulesLuvsShinzon @ Apr 29 2007, 10:46 AM) View Post
^^^Well that's about her acting ability then! I'm still glad she left.

I would say it was about her acting. Not her ability, but her take on the part. And she must not have liked it herself after seeing the dailies.

Some things work and some things don't. You often can't see it on the set as an actor. Watching those dailies really helps.

I was doing a voice-over the other day. I recorded the same lines twice. I heard no difference while reading them. Then they played it back to me. The second take was way better than the first take. Not because suddenly my abilities grew. But because the first take had some hesitations that were probably caused by not knowing the lines well enough. In the voice-over bizz, you get your lines only seconds before you're behind the mike. The second take didn't have those hesitations. Why didn't I hear them when I recorded the first take? Because I was too concentrated on this piece of paper in front of me. I suppose it's the same thing when you're in front of a camera. You can judge more objectively when not preforming.

#40 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

^Well, it could be about her acting ability, but not in the sense that she was NOT a good actress. Rather that, like most theatrical actors, take longer to perfect a scene to the desired level of both the director, producer, and actor. In television, you get maybe 3 takes and that's it. Motion pictures can take much more.

Plus it's also about turnaround time. Being comfortable enough memorizing lines, movements, and business in order to shoot an entire episode in one week verses several weeks for a motion picture. You just don't have the time to refine your performance, and for perfectionists, this can be hell.

Susan Surrandon commented after her guest appearance on Friends that she couldn't do episodic television herself on a regular basis. She applauded the entire cast and any actor who could.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users