Genevieve Bujold as Janeway

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

I don't remeber if this was posted somewhere or if I came across it ... thank goodness for Kate Mulgrew! LOL

Genevieve Bujold as Janeway on Youtube

#2 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:43 PM

Great clip, shows us what might have been. But how wrong is that?

It's improssible to think that anyone else can play Janeway. Mulgrew just owns that character. I can't believe Bujold was chosen over Mulgrew in the first place.

Bujold played Janeway like a Vulcan. Cold and a little creepy. Does anyone know why Bujold quit in the early stages of filming?

#3 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:09 PM

From what I understand she wasn't accustomed to the fast paced filming schedule and was stressed out.

My thing is ... see the stars in the background? Was this a CG effect or one of those star studded backgrounds. If its CG, they were prepared to go all they way with that scene ... cept for sound.

#4 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:12 PM

I remember watching that on the DVDs. It's an interesting what-if, but I'm glad they went with Janeway eventually.

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

It may have worked, but she seemed to have almost an accent of some type... and not one in a very good way to me.

#6 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:41 PM

Bujold wasnt very good as Janeway IMO. Even if Mulgrew sounds like she is sucking on a helium tank half the time, im glad she got the job over Bujold.

#7 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Aug 22 2006, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bujold wasnt very good as Janeway IMO. Even if Mulgrew sounds like she is sucking on a helium tank half the time, im glad she got the job over Bujold.

LMAO!! I have a friend that swears she sounds like a goat! Too funny!

I am glad Bujold left too though. She did seem very cold to me.

#8 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(pickard @ Aug 22 2006, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember watching that on the DVDs. It's an interesting what-if, but I'm glad they went with Janeway eventually.

I agree, I too remember seeing this on the DVD set and I am very happy TPTB went with Mulgrew.

#9 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Aug 22 2006, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It may have worked, but she seemed to have almost an accent of some type... and not one in a very good way to me.

Yeah I know what your saying I was trying to figure it out.

#10 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

She seems to be French-Canadian, so maybe thats what we are picking up on.

#11 ECH

ECH

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:32 AM

I thought she was just French?

#12 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:46 AM

Everything I see shows her being born and raised in Montreal, Quebec. Is that French-Canadian or do I have my definitions all screwed up?

#13 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:46 AM

I went to the site, watched that episode and redirected myself to an evolution of Janeway. it showed the whole DVD interview (hey maybe it is on my extras from TOS, cause I dont have any Voy vids) where Braga or the other guy stated Kate was second on their watchlist as well. Anyway, they said she was a wonderful french canadian actress. I know she has been in several movies before and after the brief stint as Janeway, I just cant think of any at the moment. Just as many of you dont know, Kate was Mrs. Columbo in a series that ran for about two years, or so.

#14 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:14 PM

I think Bujold would have grown into the character of Elizabeth Janeway had she stayed. She would have evolved the character and made it her own in her own way. When an actor first plays a role, it is like being in a relationship. The more you play that person, the more you get to know that person. The more you know your character, the more comfortable and accustomed you become.

I know everyone thinks Mulgrew was better in the role, but we all know Kathryn Janeway from seven years of a series. She had to grow into that role over time to become the character we all know. Of you watch "Caretaker" and then watch "Endgame", you can see how different the character is from the very beginning to the very end. In the pilot, Mulgrew's Janeway also seems a bit cold and sterile. Mulgrew had years to slowly build the character and round her out.

Bujold only played Elizabeth Janeway for two or three days. She barely had time to get to know the character and get used to playing her. So don't be so hard on her. If she had decided to stay, I'm pretty sure an accomplished and talented actress like her would have made the character both memorable and as loved as her successor has become.

#15 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

You know, I was thinking that same thing. Maybe if she had had stayed in the role she would have made it her own and we wouldn't even know Kate Mulgrew as Janeway.

When I look at Mulgrew in those same scenes though, there is 'life' there that wasn't there with Bujold's appearances. Her movements, her inflections and expressions all made her seem real. I dunno, maybe its due to editing and reshooting that Mulgrew looks like she had the advantage. Its a what-if that we'll never know though.

#16 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:51 AM

Bujold was also in a great Sherlock Holmes movie. Murder by Decree, which starred Christopher Plummer (General Chang, TUC) as Holmes and James Mason as Watson. Bujold acted outstandingly as a fragile woman sent to an asylum by bad people. Eventually she grew as crazy as the others in the asylum. Great preformance. But the reasons she dropped out of VOY was because she didn't see eye to eye with the producers. Being a movie actress, she wasn't used to the fast shooting of a TV series. But that wasn't all. She saw the part of Janeway more as a scientist than as a military leader. She wanted to show the vulnerability of Janeway instead of her leadership. And a very important part of playing the Captain is that at any time, although the ship is starfleet property, you must make the audience feel it's your ship. When you have guests at your home, you behave in a different way then when you're a guest in somebody els's home. Bujold never made people feel the ship was hers.

#17 ECH

ECH

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 23 2006, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everything I see shows her being born and raised in Montreal, Quebec. Is that French-Canadian or do I have my definitions all screwed up?

I think it's just Canadian. Although Quebec is the French-speaking region of Canada.

#18 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(ECH @ Aug 25 2006, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's just Canadian. Although Quebec is the French-speaking region of Canada.

They refer to her in the full version of the video, which has now been removed from YouTube, as French-Canadian.

I don't know if I have ever seen her in anything. She is probably a very fine actress, I just don't see her as Janeway from what I saw in those clips.

#19 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 23 2006, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I look at Mulgrew in those same scenes though, there is 'life' there that wasn't there with Bujold's appearances. Her movements, her inflections and expressions all made her seem real. I dunno, maybe its due to editing and reshooting that Mulgrew looks like she had the advantage. Its a what-if that we'll never know though.

Different actors have different approaches to the character. Some throw themselves into it and some take a slow and steady evolutionary approach. Some also see different aspects of the same or similar characters. Bujold, as Berns mentioned, saw Elizabeth Janeway as a scientist more than anything else. She may have seen her character as being reserved and analytical and not prone to showing too much emotion even when speaking to an old friend. Mulgrew probably saw Kathryn Janeway as a much different person. Of course, both people played different characters with just the same last name (they both had different first names) so the characters could have been very different. They might have written the character of Elizabeth Janeway was one kind of person and then wrote Kathryn Janeway somewhat differently to suit the new actress.

#20 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

Yeah, but we already had one very stout, emotionless Vulcan character on the ship.

I always felt that the strength that Janeway had was her nurturing characteristic. She cared about her crew and people.

When Bujold says, "I never had a chance to get to know any of them. I must find time to do that." I don't feel that she is sincere about it. Mulgrew on the other hand seems genuinely distressed over it.

Who knows, maybe they were written differently, but I don't think they changed the character that drastically in the week or so it took to get Mulgrew on the set (I think thats what he said - a week and a bit).

I think it was Branon Braga in the clip, and he stated that after the first few days of shooting it was obvious that they needed to go in another direction. Maybe that meant actress and character. After all, the scenes are a bit different in how they start. Bujold at the computer terminal - Mulgrew staring out the window.

I am not saying Bujold is any less of an actress. I just feel that Mulgrew gave the character what the show needed. In time, Bujold could have also, but Mulgrew nailed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users