• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:02 PM

I've got mine on order, but has any one allready picked the set up and started watching it?

Any imppressions? I'm kind of looking forward to it.

#2 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:09 PM

Capt. Scarlet from the old AA forum posted at Playtrekker that he should or has received his from DeepDiscount.com Goth. From what I've heard, not alot of extras for the price, but I'm still looking forward to this set myself. My problem is, there's too many things coming out and with the holidays coming up, I have to prioritize tongue.gif

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:57 PM

Yeah, I heard there wern't alot of extras, but I'm a softie for animated stuff... heck I picked up the POTA animated cartoon at Wal-Mart for $15 a few weeks back, those are kinda raw, but they bring back memories!

I hear you about prioritizing! Thank Goodness the "Marvel Legends Bubble" is just about past! Face off S2 and the HOM boxset are all I have left to find there. I'm kind of glad that the DST Trek stuff is a bit delayed as I had to put quite a bit of cash into my jeep this month.

With the end of TB ML, DST trek looks poised to take the top spot on my fav line next year!

#4 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:52 AM

I have all 22 eps on VHS.

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Nov 20 2006, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have all 22 eps on VHS.

I do too, i bought them on ebay a couple of years ago. They were all brand new in the celophane with only one tape ever having been opened and it looked as if it had never been used at all. I think i got the whole set of 11 vhs tapes for like 20 or 30 bucks. I plan to get this DVD set as well. Wish it had a lot of extras, but i guess we are lucky to get a DVD set of them at all. I plan to get that POTA set too, i remember it was on Saturday morning cartoons back in the early 70's either just before or just after TAS was. Brings back a lot of memories.

#6 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:18 AM

Do you collect the tapes for the art work? Do you just leave them sealed? The DVD set I bought was only $38, so it would seem that for another $18 youd have the DVD set. Unless of course your just collecting them for the memorbila factor.

#7 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Nov 20 2006, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you collect the tapes for the art work? Do you just leave them sealed? The DVD set I bought was only $38, so it would seem that for another $18 youd have the DVD set. Unless of course your just collecting them for the memorbila factor.

It was partially the memorabilia factor and the fact that two years ago we had no idea if the TAS would ever be released on DVD or not. I watched all of the tapes, didnt keep any of them in celophane. Even though VHS tapes are out now, i still enjoy having them around for the nostalgia and the artwork as you said.

#8 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Nov 20 2006, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bought them on VHS many years before they even invented DVD.

#9 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

Yes, but you keep trying to freeze yourself to go back in time Phil, not forward tongue.gif Which reminds me, pm coming your way. I have a question you might have the answer to.

#10 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Nov 21 2006, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but you keep trying to freeze yourself to go back in time Phil, not forward

Oh no, you got it all wrong. I do prefere DVD to VHS! And I do feel sorry for buying all of TOS, all of TAS, all of DS9, all of VOY and half of TNG on VHS at about US$ 20,00 for each tape with two episodes on it. I wish I could sell them all and buy the DVDs. But today you can't sell a VHS tape for US$ 2,00 anymore.

But what I meant here is that I have all episodes of TAS. That I've seen them all. And that I can talk about the episodes, but not about the packaging or the extras on the DVD sets.

And with a budget as limited as mine, I'dd rather buy DVDs of movies or series that I don't have on VHS. That way I get to see something new.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:18 PM

I can understand that!

My Animated DVD arrived today. Not much as far as extras, pretty basic actually, the nice thing is you can do a "Play all" episodes on the disc, which I like. I really wish the regular series discs (ala TOS, TNG, DS9 etc...) offered that option.

#12 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:04 AM

Yeah, I can relate Phil, I had up to season 4 or 5 of TNG and some of TOS vhs tapes from Columbia House. Not to mention I have alot of laserdiscs that are pretty much worthless as well. On the brightside, I did update my motion pictures sets to the dvs sets. Since the vhs tapes were wearing out, I just tossed them. I might have to check and see how much it will cost me for TAS series at Deep Discount? If it's in the $20.00 dollar range, I might pick it up. Otherwise I'm waiting for a bit, since I still haven't watched TOS or the Director Cuts of TMP's rolleyes.gif Thinking I might wait until I get that flatscreen in the bedroom though, still haven't made that decision blink.gif

#13 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Nov 23 2006, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I can relate Phil, I had up to season 4 or 5 of TNG and some of TOS vhs tapes from Columbia House. Not to mention I have alot of laserdiscs that are pretty much worthless as well.

I don't know about that. Laserdiscs don't deteriorate as magnetic tapes do (unless you have discs with "laserrot" symptoms). And as long as Lucas won't release the original versions of Star Wars eps IV-V-VI, the laserdisc version of those films will only sell for big bucks.

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Nov 23 2006, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thinking I might wait until I get that flatscreen in the bedroom though, still haven't made that decision blink.gif

Forget that, buy a beamer. I have a screen with a diameter bigger than 100" painted on the wall. My beamer projects the movies on it. Great stuff and a lot cheaper than a plasmascreen.

#14 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Nov 23 2006, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And as long as Lucas won't release the original versions of Star Wars eps IV-V-VI, the laserdisc version of those films will only sell for big bucks.

Lucas did release those versions in September of this year on DVD.

#15 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:16 AM

You beat me to it VF, I was going to comment on that earlier today. Unfortunately the Mrs. was insistent that we hurry up and get to her brothers house, only to have to wait for his wife's family to show up laugh.gif I'm not sure if the overseas market has the same dvd's or not though, but Lucas released them here. Unfortunately for me, my T2 directors cut of the movie is pretty useless and luckily I only have a handful of discs. My laserdisc player died just before we moved down here a few years back. While your idea might work in the family room(which I hope becomes the cat's room here in the next week or so, our bedroom is only 12-14 feet headboard to the far wall. That's why I'm wanting a flatpanel and the prices are getting better here in the states, not to mention the technology. We're hoping to find a nice sound system and minimize the amount of wires. Unfortunately we have too much going on at the moment and more important things to spend our hard earned money on, but maybe soon. As I want to get the upstairs wired and start enjoying my dvd's a little bit more.

#16 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Nov 24 2006, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lucas did release those versions in September of this year on DVD.

I must have missed them. But then again, I have no intention to buy them. The new versions are so much better. I don't even want to see the original cuts ever again.

But I did buy a second hand LaserDisc player some two years ago to replace my earlier one who died some years before that. You never know, I might be at a convention and find an old movie that hasn't been released on DVD yet in the dealers room. And there is nothing more frustrating than finding such a movie on a format one can't play. I paid about US$ 200.00 for the NTSC/PAL LD player and 14 discs.

#17 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:47 PM

I cannot wait to buy the TOS animated series.

I saw a couple of episodes back when it was on Saturday mornings about a year or two ago here in Australia....that is all!

So it will be great to see all the apisodes I have only recently been reading about.

I read they initially did not intend to bring in so many of the original cast, but Nimoy wouldn't do it without Nichelle & Takai.....though there was no budget at all for Koenig! sad.gif

Was it regular cats members who spoke M'Ress & Arex? I think they had said that Majel practiced her purring for the voice of M'Ress....not sure about Arex though.

#18 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:02 PM

James Doohan and Majel Barrett did a lot of the voices on the Animated show.

I wish Paramount would make a new Animated Star Trek series that featured a different Star Trek series every week with crossovers now and then too. Would be great!

#19 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

I've watched about 3/4 of the episodes now, The animation style is dated, but the stories in these are as good as any regular episode, I particularly like the more diverse alien crew.

All in all I I'm pleased with the set. I paid $38 for it off amazon and that was the shipped price, so I think it's an ok price.

#20 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Nov 29 2006, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
though there was no budget at all for Koenig!

Not exactly. Although Checkov wasn't part of the cast and although he didn't do any voices, Koenig actually wrote an episode!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users