Closing of Star Trek Las Vegas?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:41 AM

I just read this over at Trekmovie.com http://trekmovie.com...oubt/#more-1913 and it realy bummed me out! I got my first chance to visit the Experience last year and I was truly awesome. Each time I take a vacation to Vegas since I make it a point to visit The Experience a least a few times. Going to Vegas just wont be the same without it. I hope Cedar Fair can come to some agreement to keep it open. They really are a top notch company and do some really cool stuff at their other parks like Cedar Point in Ohio (I highly reccomend it if you enjoy roller coasters). Well at the very least I can always say that I once ate The Flaming Ribs of Targ at Quarks!

#2 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:18 AM

This is disappointing news indeed. Its not a good time for Trek. I was reading the comments by the AA members and they are very sour. Unless Paramount pulls off a huge hit with the new movie, I don't see things like The Experience doing well. I just hope it doesn't wash over into the figure market enough to keep DST from finishing off the crew assortments.

I have always wanted to go to The Experience. If they could only hold out one more year, I will have a job and money enough to go. Come on guys, just a bit longer for the fans.

#3 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ May 4 2008, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless Paramount pulls off a huge hit with the new movie, I don't see things like The Experience doing well.

I don't mean to be negative, but leaving aside that the movie'd be coming out too late to help ST:TE, even if it were a blockbuster, I think you'd only see a relatively small increase in traffic for the Experience as it exists now. 24th century Trek is comatose, and isn't going to be revived anytime at the horizon. Since all the attractions are 24th century based, that place would need a nearly complete overhaul to capitalize on the movie.

#4 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

Yeah. as it is now, the Experience wouldn't be helped even if the new movie is a hit as it would be completely irrelevant to 24th century Trek. Of course, they could always strike up a new deal and re-open a new attraction based on the new movie if it proves successful. Either way, though, the experience as it is now known is probably beyond saving.

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:05 AM

I'm not sure that it would be a huge surprise if it closed. I'm a bit surprised it's still open actually, it was kind of expected that it might close after Paramount divested it's theme parks.

Every time I've been at the LV Hilton, it seems it's done a brisk business, the question is really if Hilton thinks they can make more money with that space doing something else.

Personally, I really like the whole Sci-Fi Theme of that section of the Hilton, which includes more than just STTE. They also generate mney from weddings off the sets, so in the end if Hilton wants to use it for something else they'll just raise the rent high enough and Cedar will be forced to close it.

If they thought it was profitable, Cedar could move the rides to one of their theme parks.

The thing is, STTE is a reason and a draw to get people into the Hilton. If they get rid of it they need some kind of ride/attraction to entice people to get off the Mono-rail there.

#6 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:04 AM

The Hilton is way off the strip and I doubt anyone not staying there would even bother going there.

#7 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ May 5 2008, 06:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure that it would be a huge surprise if it closed. I'm a bit surprised it's still open actually, it was kind of expected that it might close after Paramount divested it's theme parks.

Every time I've been at the LV Hilton, it seems it's done a brisk business, the question is really if Hilton thinks they can make more money with that space doing something else.

Actually, the one time I was there (a year ago), it was pretty much dead. There were no lines for the rides, and I was the only person getting a bridge picture afterward. It definitely didn't seem to be doing brisk business.

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:40 AM

And if your experience is more the norm, then it may not make good business sense to keep it open.

In the end, it comes down to what the Hilton charges for the lease and if it makes money on it.

I'd like to see Cedar fair Ent (which now owns STTE) at least move the rides to one of it's other main theme parks.

I love the whole DS-9 promenade theme and Quarks Bar, and I think people do take the mono-rail to the LV Hilton just to go to STTE.

If it goes away, though, there won't be a compelling reason for the Hilton to host the annual LV Trek convention... maybe that doesn't matter, much, but honestly, I do like the LV Hilton, and probably visit it more than any other hotel in LV simply because of the "trek" atmosphere it provides!

#9 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

Officially closed Sept 1. Supposedly the Hilton was the one who had the hang up because they thought they could better use the space. Pretty much the last time that Ill be visiting the Hilton.

#10 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE(A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ May 5 2008, 05:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
24th century Trek is comatose

I think it's dead. And in my opinion it didn't die soon enough. It should have ended right after the first season of TNG and they should have gone back to late 23rd century Star Trek both on TV and in the theaters. It was a mistake to ever leave the movie era. And they've been paying the price for that mistake for a couple of years now. Trek now should have been set about 17 years after TUC.

cool.gif

However, I'm glad I never visited The Experience. It would have cost me a lot of money just to get to Las Vegas, USA and only now I hear that all the attractions are 24th century based. I would have been sooooo unhappy had I visited the place.

#11 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:17 AM

We're planning a Vegas trip for a couple years out, and were very sad to hear of this closing. We've never been the Vegas, and were certainly looking forward to this. sad.gif

#12 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:15 AM

One of my firends did go to the San Diego Traveling Trek Experience and said that it was a great time for about $25. I am looking forward to that coming around the midwest!

#13 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:58 PM

I'm trying to decide if it'll be worth the debt to go. I've never gone to Vegas, and of course I'm a Trek FREAK (duh, I'm on this forum aren't I? wink.gif ).

#14 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:02 AM

Depending on where you live in the country there are small airlines that fly out to Vegas and back for under $200. I know one is called Allegiant Air. You might want to check to see if there is a smaller airport by you. Vegas is also hurting for business right now. I was just looking for hotels the other day and found a bunch that were right under or right around $100 a night on the strip. For about $500 for a weekend maybe, it would be well worth the trip just to experience it once.

#15 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:05 AM

^JACKSONVILLE (FL) is the nearest airport for me. For the cheapest Vegas flight it would be AirTran to ATL and then on to Vegas.

I used Expedia and some other sites and found a deal for $560 for the flight and 2 nights hotel stay at the Hilton itself. That's not bad, but I'd have to put it on some of my already significantly charged credit cards....and I'm just not sure I can take that plunge.

I'm also currently looking for a job change right now that I'm hoping will happen in August...and with them closing doors on sept 1st, that doesn't leave me a lot of time to coordinate a job change (that will hopefully involve a move to Jacksonville), move, AND readjusting of my monthly financial schedule.

DARN YOU UNIVERSE!!! WHY MUST EVERYTHING HAPPEN AT THE SAME TIME!!! angry.gif

#16 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

thats not bad at all for $560 for both the flight and hotel.

#17 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:22 AM

Yeah, but just to go for that seems expensive. Also, they changed the way it works, a few years ago I went and a single ticket purchase got you unlimited rides all day long. I basically kept going on it till I just got tired of them both! About 4 times ea.

Now it's a single ride for each... and they raised the price! so your basically paying close to $25 per ride. Not really great deal anymore.

If Cedar Ent owns the ride and decides to re-locate it at one of their theme parks, I would wait and go then.

I'm actually going to get to ride it one last time as I decided to goto the Convention next month and the ticket I bought includes a dinner party and rides on the experience, so that will be cool.

#18 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:28 PM

^I wish we would hear something in that regards because I feel the same way. I mean I WANT to go to Vegas, but at this time IF I were to go right now it would be to go to the Experience only...and that IS a hunk of change for one thing. :c\

Do you think IF they move it to some Cedar Ent. owned park, will Quark's bar still be a part of it? I'm not familiar with those theme parks so I don't know if "adult" beverages (alcoholic) are offered there or not. I.E. in Disney's parks only certain restaurants serve beer or wine, but no liquor.

#19 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

310 for the flight
35 a night for an off the strip room

I'm going out on the 28th

YEAH FOR ME!!

#20 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:28 PM

im pretty sure that the ride wont be moved to another park. if at all it would be at one of their smaller parks. i usually go to cedar point and they do serve alcohol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users