Photo

Transformers

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:39 PM

Me and my wife went and checked out the new Transformers movie over the 4th of July holiday. This is one of the coolest movies I have ever seen in my life and I have seen alot of movies. I felt like I was a little kid again watching Star Wars or Superman on the big screen again for the first time. My wife who does not like to watch movies more than once in the theatre said she would definatley go back to see it again. It had everything that you could ever want in a movie. I can't think of just one word to describe it. I was one of the ones who did not expect it to be as good as all of the hype but it was better. I honestly don't remember the last time I walked out of a movie that satisfied. I highly recomend seeing it in the theatre and not waiting for it to come out on DVD.

#2 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

Thumbs up from me!

#3 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

I went and saw it this afternoon, and I am somewhere in the middle on this one.

I didn't dislike the movie, but found some of it lacking somehow. The story felt rushed to me. It was as if they lost some stuff on the cutting room floor that should have stayed. The action scenes were too action-y if that makes any sense. Most of the time there was so much blurry stuff going on that you had no clue what you were seeing happening. I wanted more Autobot and Decepticon time. It was like one or two lines, blow something up, cut to the humans.

I liked the story for the most part. It had some very cool tie-ins to the 'real' world and stayed true to some of the characterizations that I loved as a kid. There was a lot of humor, a lot of action, and a bit of romance. There was a bit of nostalgia through the whole movie and bit of the tinglies as you heard the that classic transforming whir as they changed shape.

I liked it enough to go buy the action figures (but only the ones that appeared in the film), but probably won't make it back for a second viewing until the DVD arrives. Then, I am gonna hold out for the director's/extended edition to hit shelves to let them fill in gaps.

#4 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Jul 6 2007, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went and saw it this afternoon, and I am somewhere in the middle on this one.

I didn't dislike the movie, but found some of it lacking somehow. The story felt rushed to me. It was as if they lost some stuff on the cutting room floor that should have stayed. The action scenes were too action-y if that makes any sense. Most of the time there was so much blurry stuff going on that you had no clue what you were seeing happening. I wanted more Autobot and Decepticon time. It was like one or two lines, blow something up, cut to the humans.

Slayer... I feel the EXACT same way you do!

It was REALLY blurry where I had no idea what it was I was supposed to be seeing on the screen. It was moving way too fast. I thought that they should have slowed down some of the sequences, but...

And Starscream had what... maybe TWO lines?!? What's with that yo?!?

#5 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

i thought the decepticons (especially starscream/megatron) played very minor roles. I thought the whole section 7 thing went on too long with too many reversals and turns. did you think this left itself open to a sequel?

#6 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

How Revenge of the Fallen Should Have Ended

#7 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:16 PM

Heard recently that Megan Fox will not be in Transformers 3. Should there even be a Transformers 3? I for one was not crazy about either of the movies. What do you all think?

#8 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

Shia was just ripping Transformers two in the same way I have been. He said that the movie lost its heart and was just a series of big robot battles. IMO it had little to no story whatsoever and was just people going to a series of locations to waste time and evetually get into some kind of fight. If there is a Transformers 3 (which I find hard to believe there wont be) hopefully they find a good story rather than what robot character can I jam into a script. This may also not be a good thing for Trek with K&O penning the Transformers franchise as well.

As for Fox...I think we all know my stance on her and would like to see her return but i think Sam's and Mikala's relationship got a little mushy towards the end of the second film. I think Shia though is a must have for a third and without him, dont bother.

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ May 20 2010, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shia was just ripping Transformers two in the same way I have been.

Shia was ripping his performance on Indy 4 the other day too. Knowing how Hollywood is, maybe he just got sober one day and took a good look at his work. I really wish they would have left his character out of Indy 4.

#10 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:03 PM

I didn't mind the concept of Indy having a kid with Marion per se. What bothered me was that the character was so poorly thought out. He came out as a mish-mash of 50's stereotypes all rolled into one. It's almost like he was trying to simultaneously be Fonzie, James Dean, and most obviously, Brando. Shia wasn't even the main problem with the movie though, and I think he's being a little too hard on himself. He didn't do a great job, but not horrible either. I doubt there would've been many actors who could have done better. That whole script needed a few more passes. When Indy can survive a nuclear bomb blast in a lead fridge, you know there's something very wrong here.

Megan Fox may be very attractive, but she seems to me to have a very ugly personality. Does she honestly think that you're going to sign onto a movie called Transformers and be given Oscar-worthy material to work with? It is what it is - a vehicle to sell toy vehicles, and play on the nostalgia of the kids' parents. I don't know why she just can't say as much and leave it at that, instead of some explative-laden tirade about how bad the movie is and how horrible an experience it was working for Michael Bay. Ultimately, she's going to fade very quickly into obscurity when she could've used Transformers to build a real career. Who's going to want to hire her and deal with the attitude and backstabbing when there's always some other pretty face coming along? That's about all she's got going for her...

#11 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:07 AM

Don't worry, Megan Fox will soon disappear into obscurity! I think it's hilarious how she complains about working for Michael Bay when she allowed herself to be filmed in tight shorts washing his Ferrari. How classy - no wonder she's being overlooked for ocar-worthy roles.

I haven't seen either of the Transformers movies, but I heard from a young man (aged 22) that he thought the first one was entertaining but dumb and full of fart gags, and I've heard a lot of talk that the second descended perilously close to racism. Is any of that true, or close to being true?

#12 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:07 AM

Racism????

#13 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (FHC @ May 21 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Racism????

I haven't seen it, but apparently a couple of the robots had very...ahem...stereotypical accents, and actions for certain races. I know one was obviously depicting a black guy. I haven't seen it, though, so I can't comment on the validity of the claim.

I will say that I think people are waaay too sensitive in general. My #1 pet peeve is someone who forces their viewpoint on others. There's a story over on TrekMovie about how parents groups are up in arms about the title of S@!& My Dad Says, when they could very easily just block their TVs from showing it, or just not let their kids see it if they don't like it. But nooooooo, you have to force your opinion on the ENTIRE WORLD (I have a similar opinion on the whole showing Muhammad thing, but I won't get into religion).

#14 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ May 20 2010, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Megan Fox may be very attractive, but she seems to me to have a very ugly personality. Does she honestly think that you're going to sign onto a movie called Transformers and be given Oscar-worthy material to work with?

This reminds me of something Hilary Swank said when she made that movie a few years back called "Boys dont cry". Swank said that as part of her research for the role as a girl that passed herself off as a boy, she made herself up as a boy and went out in public walking around in stores and other places. She said she saw what its like to be a man, and she didnt like it. No one held the door for her, no courtesy extended to her because she was just seen as just another man. She said she was glad to be able to go out as a woman again, because she was used to all of the niceties that women get. My point is that it seems many women feel its their entitlement to be treated better than other people because they are attractive. Having a ugly personality stays with you, beauty may not.

#15 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

Most people complained about the second movie as being racists because two robots had a "ghetto" accent and mannerisms. However in the first one, Jazz had a toned down accent for the few lines he actually had. Not quite sure what any of this means but i guess it comes down to whether or not you think robots actually need accesnts of any kind.

#16 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ May 22 2010, 03:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This reminds me of something Hilary Swank said when she made that movie a few years back called "Boys dont cry". Swank said that as part of her research for the role as a girl that passed herself off as a boy, she made herself up as a boy and went out in public walking around in stores and other places. She said she saw what its like to be a man, and she didnt like it. No one held the door for her, no courtesy extended to her because she was just seen as just another man. She said she was glad to be able to go out as a woman again, because she was used to all of the niceties that women get. My point is that it seems many women feel its their entitlement to be treated better than other people because they are attractive. Having a ugly personality stays with you, beauty may not.

Beauty doesn't, and that's why it's always worth remembering that good manners and the cultivation of an interesting personality is a really good idea. Some people have to work at this, but some women have to work very hard to stay beautiful too - and I know which is the more worthwhile pursuit.

I must admit, I find the "niceties" that some women expect as their right to be a right pain in the butt. I hate having doors opened for me by men - I'm quite capable of opening a door all by myself. It's a hangover rom the days when women were considered to be the weaker sex. Th eonly time I would expect extra condieration would be if I were heavily pregnant or obviously disabled - and I'm happily neither of these. In fact, I open doors for men and it's amazing how some older guys really don't like it - like I've poached their territory or something equally daft. Good manners and consideration to people regardless of their sex is the way to go, I don't want special treatment just because I'm female.

And thanks for clearing up the "racist" accusations against Transformers 2. It looks like they tried to emulate the way in which Pixar movies cash in on stereotypes but went a wee bit too far. Some people are also awfully sensitive. We've had animated toons with animals being anthropomorphised into racial stereotypes, so it's not a great reach for robots!!

#17 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ May 22 2010, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must admit, I find the "niceties" that some women expect as their right to be a right pain in the butt. I hate having doors opened for me by men - I'm quite capable of opening a door all by myself. It's a hangover rom the days when women were considered to be the weaker sex. Th eonly time I would expect extra condieration would be if I were heavily pregnant or obviously disabled - and I'm happily neither of these. In fact, I open doors for men and it's amazing how some older guys really don't like it - like I've poached their territory or something equally daft. Good manners and consideration to people regardless of their sex is the way to go, I don't want special treatment just because I'm female.

I wondered how long it would be before my good friend Jules replied to my post, which i was sure you would do Jules. You see, i dont have any problem with women being equal, and i dont have any problem being courteous either, my problem is that many women want to be equal, and at the same time receive all the niceties that they may have received when they were considered the "weaker sex" and then get upset when they dont. When the occasion arises i hold doors for men and women and help out either sex as needed. I see it as these women want to"Have your cake and eat it too".

#18 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:22 AM

Lets not put this thread offtrack with what seems like our annual gender equality debate. Please open a new thread or take it to PM to keep this one on topic.

#19 Totalus_Kat

Totalus_Kat

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

Edit: There was something originally funny here, but I object to being censored so I removed it, all for saying a single word that was harmless and part of my cultural language, as said in the IM I also got, it was nothing but an innocent gesture and the majority of us are adults and I've said that same saying on many other forums and I have never been censored for it period.

It had no malicious intent but I understand the reasonings for removing said word and completely pathetic to have done so.

regs,
TK

#20 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

****Shakes head ****

Kat...Kat...kat....

roflmao.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users