• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:56 AM

So... Toys R Us may come back to life???!!!

https://www.cbsnews....ction-canceled/

Like a zombie rising from the grave at Halloween I guess.

#62 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:04 AM

I might have exclusives from the bancrupsy. There are Star Wars and poet rangers exclusives in Canada!!you want them?

#63 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:31 AM

I guess these days I need to ask "How much is the tariff"  :lol:  :roflmao:

Did the stores in Canada close too? I think some of the international operations continued as they were structured as a separate  companies... it seems the ca website is still active!

#64 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:15 AM

It's been a long time since Toysrus carried much that interested me, and chances are it was out of stock when I stopped in to look. They need to reinvent themselves.Unless they can compete with Walmart and Targets pricing, it's not very likely that they will do any better than they have been doing the last few years.

#65 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:38 PM

Any deal would need to get them out of the debt that caused the bankruptcy. Normally what happens is the brand basically has to go unused for 7 years to be free and clear... then it can be reused... usually if its a brand with any value its purchased under the bankruptcy agreement by a holding company that then licenses its use to make their money back. This is exactly what happened with Westinghouse after it went under. 

This sounds like some investors are trying to accelerate when they can re-use the brand. Personally I think it sounds like a pipe dream... a better play would be for the brand rights to default to the international versions... and for them to build up a war chest to be able to come back with a new plan in 7 years. 

#66 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:46 AM

I was expecting something to happen and I figured that TRU ultimately had a high chance of coming back. They had a profitable business model and very little competition from other toy only stores. So with an iconic brand it only makes sense for someone to carry on with it. I had heard talk of concern with the auction being pushed back that whoever acquired it wouldn't have time to organize fast enough for this holiday season and concern that might impact the auction. So although surprising I guess it makes sense for them to find another way and it seems they are fast tracking this to take advantage of the holidays this year. I suppose this is also better than if Wal-Mart or Target or someone like that had bought the brand just to sit on it and eliminate competition. I'm not sure what you're getting at with the 7 year thing, but there's no reason anyone wouldn't be able to use the brand immediately I don't think that was ever in question.

http://www.charlotte...ffreys-toy-box/

#67 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:12 PM

Typically you have to sit on something forv7 years to be able to dissassocate one from prior liability. In other words people that bought something defective under the old TRU can make a claim under the new. Probably a low risk for a retailer... but debt collectors can also come knocking... by letting a brand sit for 7 years your rock solid in any court with respect to prior liability

#68 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:30 PM

Its just the licensing of the characters and names. Its a totally different company, prior debts of the previous company could never be applied to a new/different company just because they bought the brand. The brand is a commodity just like the merchandise. That would be like if TRU in their liquidation sold merchandise to Walmart and debtors went to Walmart expecting them to pay.

#69 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

I agree its a bit different from the Westinghouse example I gave... who actually was a manufacturer... so your probably right in this case there is no liability and thus whomever purchases the brand may do as they please when they please. 

#70 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:34 AM

Toys R Us is still alive here in Canada but I don't think they're selling any DST or McFarlane Star Trek stuff.

#71 Morgan

Morgan

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:07 PM

Toys R Us is still alive here in Canada but I don't think they're selling any DST or McFarlane Star Trek stuff.

It's so weird that McFarlane and DST are that niche that they don't even appear in big box toy stores anymore with some of their lines. I guess with the interwebs it's pretty much direct-to-buyer these days.

#72 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:58 AM

It's so weird that McFarlane and DST are that niche that they don't even appear in big box toy stores anymore with some of their lines. I guess with the interwebs it's pretty much direct-to-buyer these days.

I asked a supervisor, when I was looking for the Power Ranger Steel exclusive set for someone. I looked in the electronics/video game section. They had SW Black and, Stranger Things figures. I asked if the McFarlane figures were coming out. He said, not to his knowledge, but they are looking into extending to the collectors market, and this could be in the radar

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users