• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

TheHSBR you bring up some excellent point and it is good to hear from a MOTU collector on this. This is why I think the subscription idea would be beneficial to us collectors not the scalpers and secondary market. Granted, you will never have a foolproof way to get rid of scalpers but I think this would deter them. Now, let's say the first one offered is Dukat. He can be modified to be a Mirror Garak, Damar, or a generic Cardassian soldier which I am pretty sure would just require a new head sculpt. The previously listed characters are perfect for this promotion.

Also, like knightone said, if fans know going in that they are going to get an entire crew and not have to worry about cancelations that too might attract more fans. I refuse to believe there are more He-Man fans then Trek fans. This would be a great way to get characters out to us that we wouldn't see otherwise (Neelix, Kes, Quark etc).

#22 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

They could raise the prices on the online exclusives to compensate for the lower production quantities. And, like I said, they would have to produce at least a dozen different figures at one time to also make up the MOQ for each production run. There are ways to adjust the equation to make it work, and most of the figures releases would actually be reuses and kt bashes and repaints. The unique body sculpts would be thrown in every so often to mix things up, but unique sculpts wouldn't be the staple of the program.

The figures are selling enough to sell through a couple of thousand figures, so if that is what they are going to produce, they will sell through. RIght now they are having to make about 5000 each of only three or four figures at a time and that's the problem. They can't sell 5000 figures. They can only sell less than half of that. so the best attempt they can make is probably to adjust the way they produce the figures slightly to compensate. TOS still sells as do the ships and role-play. So they should keep those lines as the core of the license and continue selling them as they have been. But the combo of a special exclusive collector's line as well as the general releases could get us the figures we want as well as help keep the license active enough to breathe new life into it.

#23 MaxGoof

MaxGoof

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Apr 18 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They could raise the prices on the online exclusives to compensate for the lower production quantities. And, like I said, they would have to produce at least a dozen different figures at one time to also make up the MOQ for each production run. There are ways to adjust the equation to make it work, and most of the figures releases would actually be reuses and kt bashes and repaints. The unique body sculpts would be thrown in every so often to mix things up, but unique sculpts wouldn't be the staple of the program.

The figures are selling enough to sell through a couple of thousand figures, so if that is what they are going to produce, they will sell through. RIght now they are having to make about 5000 each of only three or four figures at a time and that's the problem. They can't sell 5000 figures. They can only sell less than half of that. so the best attempt they can make is probably to adjust the way they produce the figures slightly to compensate. TOS still sells as do the ships and role-play. So they should keep those lines as the core of the license and continue selling them as they have been. But the combo of a special exclusive collector's line as well as the general releases could get us the figures we want as well as help keep the license active enough to breathe new life into it.

This sounds intriguing to me. Why don't a few of you submit questions about this for the next Ask DST?

#24 Hirogen

Hirogen

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (MaxGoof @ Apr 18 2009, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This sounds intriguing to me. Why don't a few of you submit questions about this for the next Ask DST?

I am working on this. Knightone, do you mind if I include a snippet from one of your first posts about this to include in my question regarding production runs?

#25 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

Nope. Go ahead. I just want DST to try something out of the box. Hopefully they will at least consider other options.

#26 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

MOTU has said that they are going to do a subscription service but are holding off probably because it would greatly cut down secondary market buzz that they are really exploiting the fans to create. I would love something like this but even I who buy every single figure might feel a bit exploited if I have to subscribe and buy 5 different variants on the same body at possibly $25 a pop. Thats pretty steep and if it makes me do a double take how many more would do the same? In the end I think I would do it but it just seems like a pretty steep price overall. I think they should test the market with VOY figures of the bridge crew and maybe keep prices down to about $20 a pop. Then if thats successful move onto making more scuplts and diversifying the line.

#27 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

They could do a collector's club type thing like MR used to do. You wouldn't be forced to buy every figure, you would just get first dibs at reservations before they open ordering up to the general public. They would charge you a yearly membership fee, of course, but MR used to give you a free gift for doing so, DST could do the same. Members could also get discounts and special offers as well.

#28 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:57 PM

^ Why am I having flashbacks to the AA Collector's Club all of a sudden... unsure.gif

#29 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

AA collector's club was a disaster, no doubt, but other companies have had collector's clubs that worked. So I wouldn't be opposed to the idea just because of the AA debacle.

In any case, I don't think the AA club was handled in-house, but by third parties. That was the biggest mistake. If DST did it, they would have to handle everything completely on their own. No third parties and no outside retailers would be involved in the club. Just DST and DST only.

#30 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

Yes it was handled by fans of AA with support from AA.

#31 Hirogen

Hirogen

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

Ok everyone, here is the question I am submitting to DST. Knightone, thank you for letting me include part of you original post. Since this is a group effort I wanted to let everyone read this and offer changes if necessary to the question. I want to be very detailed so we can hope for an answer better than, "No, that's not something we have thought about" and onto the next question. Let's hope DST reads this carefully and decides to go forward with this. Maybe we can see a Neelix, Kes, Quark or Dukat.

Thanks for the great Trek figures! I was very disappointed when I heard the Dukat pack was canceled, as a collector of 24th Century Trek, he was the one figure from your Trek and Stargate lineup that I was most looking forward to this year. My question stems from that situation, has DST considered doing exclusive figures and offering them on their website, similar to what Mattel is doing with the Masters of the Universe and DC Universe lines? Having a lower production number and offering them at $25 plus shipping to collectors?

You can keep the numbers at between 1000 to 2000, and go into production in a different way. Maybe produce 12 figures in one production run to keep the MOQ, but only release one figure at a time, through your website, one each month. This way, you could guarantee complete crews, say like all the Voyager crew or all the DS9 crew, because everything will already be made. A lot of people might be more inclined to buy into a series if they know they will definitely be able to get a complete set if they want. Plus you can get these out on a regular basis, on time, all year long. Big sellers like TOS, captain's chairs, and the ships and role-play, and maybe the occasional two pack can still be sold through retailers. However, less popular and more obscure figures can be sold in smaller quantities to dedicated collectors via this exclusive method. Also, even if the regular releases experience delays, dedicated customers can still get their regular "Trek fix" once a month.

This could get out some characters you don’t feel will sell in a normal wave or two pack. A group of us collectors have been throwing this idea around and for the most part there are many onboard and excited about the prospect. This would be a great way to offer TNG Generations/ Early DS9/ and most importantly (to me) Voyager characters and characters from the Maltz pack and Dukat. It has also been suggested that perhaps offering subscription or memberships to DST Store and those people getting first chance at the figures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users