• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

I didn't see these posted anywhere. Earlier today DST posted these videos on Facebook. I have to say I'm really excited I wasn't planning on buying more than one version but they seem to have made it worth it to get each version.
http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded
http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#2 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

Word is, on TPZ, that the medical scanner will not have a working motor in it. The spinning scanner head is operated manually. This is a bit disappointing. Personally, I wouldn't mind paying a lot more if they had included a motor in the scanner, but I guess DST and EE decided the added cost wasn't feasible. Well, at least prop builders will have a new project to work on right off the bat, getting us a motorized retrofit kit.

#3 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Mar 13 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Word is, on TPZ, that the medical scanner will not have a working motor in it. The spinning scanner head is operated manually. This is a bit disappointing. Personally, I wouldn't mind paying a lot more if they had included a motor in the scanner, but I guess DST and EE decided the added cost wasn't feasible. Well, at least prop builders will have a new project to work on right off the bat, getting us a motorized retrofit kit.

Did you read the listing for the medical tricorder at Entertainment Earth's website? It states:

"Not only does the case open to reveal the detailed interior, but this deluxe version also includes a compartment with a removable scanner accessory with lights and motion that you won't find anywhere else!"

http://www.entertain...?number=DC17743

Wouldn't they know what their exclusive is about, or does someone truly have some inside info to the contrary?

#4 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

Well manual spinning is still motion ...

I love the sound effects on the tricorders, but I am still not convinced voice clips were necessary.

#5 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (slayerone76 @ Mar 20 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well manual spinning is still motion ...

I love the sound effects on the tricorders, but I am still not convinced voice clips were necessary.

Do you know for sure the spinning is manual or are you just guessing?

#6 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

DST stated that it was a wheel to manually turn the scanner.
I think that if the voice clips are confined to the one button, I would be fine with it. There is honestly NO reason to have voices on a Tricorder though. Hopefully they do a better job at the lights then with the Communicator, there was a lot of light bleed around the "bezel" where the paint did not hide enough. I would feel much better playing around with it then my Master Replicas one, due to the costs of them. Plus I think I would get one of each too!

#7 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Mar 21 2009, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DST stated that it was a wheel to manually turn the scanner.
I think that if the voice clips are confined to the one button, I would be fine with it. There is honestly NO reason to have voices on a Tricorder though. Hopefully they do a better job at the lights then with the Communicator, there was a lot of light bleed around the "bezel" where the paint did not hide enough. I would feel much better playing around with it then my Master Replicas one, due to the costs of them. Plus I think I would get one of each too!

When and where did DST say it was a wheel to manually turn the scanner? Did I miss a Q&A? Also, why does the DST scanner have lights, when the TV prop did not? In any case, the thing should have spun and they could have omitted the lights and sound. Oh well, but thanks for the reply.

#8 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

I believe the information about the manual spinning scanner came from someone at HMS, who made the prototypes for the DST trics.

As for the EE description, it wouldn't be the first time the original DST press release was off from what the actual release is like. Heck, even the original packaging for the TOS comm stated that it had over 20 sound effects, when it only had 8 or 9. So I would rather go on information from a reliable insider than DST's product solicitations.

#9 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:42 AM

I have to admit that it's funny how many times they are off on their own products. I can understand it though, so many cooks with their hands in the DST soup.

#10 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

The part about the lights and motion may come from the fact that the science/engineering scanner has lights. And, as slayerone said, the medical scanner has motion (albeit manually operated motion). So I think the people who put the solicitation together were thinking of the two scanner as one product or assumed that just because one had lights, so would the other.

As for the communicator, the original plan could have been to have all those sound effects, but they got cut along the way and it may have been too late to change the packaging or it may have just been overlooked.

The official solicitaion TWOK phaser was also stated as having voice clips, which was later stated to be wrong and that the people who put together the desciption had mixed it up with the TOS tricorder.

These things happen, and it's understandable, but DST has made a number of flubs like that in the past.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

Aren't these due to be released soon? I'm really looking forward to them!

#12 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Mar 22 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aren't these due to be released soon? I'm really looking forward to them!

They are due late April/early May. Then again, it's DST. I never hold my breath until Rick says they're on the water.

#13 Racer_X

Racer_X

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:17 PM

The latest Art Asylum blog shipping update has the tricorder coming out 5/27.

#14 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

Any new info or prototype pix on these? I wish they had shown the scanner for the medical tricorder in the vids.

#15 NickyTea

NickyTea

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

Isn't the med scanner an Entertainment Earth exclusive?
I'm considering pre-ordering.

#16 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (NickyTea @ Apr 18 2009, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't the med scanner an Entertainment Earth exclusive?
I'm considering pre-ordering.

Yes, an EE exclusive.

#17 Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:ST props, models, and Lightsabers OH MY!

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

Lmao...I KNEW the medical tricorder was going to have McCoy say "He's dead, Jim." laugh.gif

-Kyp

#18 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:43 AM

I can't find just the TOS Tricorder page, so I'll put thin in here. The Packaging shots are up on DST's site in the Gallery

#19 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

According to the pic, the medical scanner is electronic!

#20 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

Any news on the tricorders? Are they still on target for release at the end of May?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users